[1.12.x] Tundra Exploration - v7.0 (Nov 5th, 2023) - (Re)Stockalike SpaceX Falcon 9, (Crew) Dragon (XL) & Haven-1!

Damon

5 hours ago, FatherOfGold said:

I can't figure out how not to glide retrograde on the MK4 Starship. Your best option is to undershoot by a lot and try to control the gliding until you get to the KSC or Woomerang or The Desert Airfield

Alright

I have a few quick suggestions.

First off, I think the F9 second stage is very overpowered. I think it needs to have 50-70% of the fuel capacity and thrust, or the ISP has to be lowered. It has over 5,100 m/s of DeltaV which is way too high. Also Falcon Heavy is almost useless because Falcon 9 can do so much, this second stage nerf would give Falcon Heavy a purpose.

Also, I think there should be an interstage option for no logo on the Merlin 1C vacuum engine.

For Starship (the upper stage), it has nearly 6000 m/s of deltaV and nearly 7000 m/s if you remove the recovery hardware. Also the surface level engines don't have the TWR to lift the vehicle at full capacity. I think a good solution would be to reduce the fuel tank capacity and height and increase the payload section height to keep the total vehicle height at the same level. The Starship payload bay is too small, I can't put most of my satellites in it even though I can on the Falcon 9 and Heavy.

Thanks so much for maintaining and updating this mod. It's definitely the best one on my list.

On 7/5/2020 at 3:38 PM, SpaceFace545 said:

could someone please tell me how to land the starship MK4, I always end up gliding over to the next continent.

I don't think gliding to the next continent is the biggest problem. Everything that's supposed to be landable in this mod flips to face prograde at a low altitude unless you clip a fuel tank into the bottom, so I'll take landing on the wrong continent over not being able to land at all.

4 hours ago, FatherOfGold said:

I have a few quick suggestions.

First off, I think the F9 second stage is very overpowered. I think it needs to have 50-70% of the fuel capacity and thrust, or the ISP has to be lowered. It has over 5,100 m/s of DeltaV which is way too high. Also Falcon Heavy is almost useless because Falcon 9 can do so much, this second stage nerf would give Falcon Heavy a purpose.

Also, I think there should be an interstage option for no logo on the Merlin 1C vacuum engine.

For Starship (the upper stage), it has nearly 6000 m/s of deltaV and nearly 7000 m/s if you remove the recovery hardware. Also the surface level engines don't have the TWR to lift the vehicle at full capacity. I think a good solution would be to reduce the fuel tank capacity and height and increase the payload section height to keep the total vehicle height at the same level. The Starship payload bay is too small, I can't put most of my satellites in it even though I can on the Falcon 9 and Heavy.

Thanks so much for maintaining and updating this mod. It's definitely the best one on my list.

This mod is balanced for a 2.5/2.7x scale kerbin. In stock it is heavily overpowered but that is to be expected. Many, many mods are balanced for such scale as well.

On 7/10/2020 at 4:34 AM, damonvv said:

This mod is balanced for a 2.5/2.7x scale kerbin. In stock it is heavily overpowered but that is to be expected. Many, many mods are balanced for such scale as well.

Speaking of 2.5x scale, is it just me, or is the Falcon 1 really OP for a small launcher?

On 7/10/2020 at 11:25 AM, autistic and ashamed said:

I don't think gliding to the next continent is the biggest problem. Everything that's supposed to be landable in this mod flips to face prograde at a low altitude unless you clip a fuel tank into the bottom, so I'll take landing on the wrong continent over not being able to land at all.

When I flip from radial out to prograde, the vehicle starts gliding backwards for Starship. I've had to clip a few small fuel tanks to the Falcon 9 to get the center of mass to be as low as possible. It does tend to flip a lot and prevent my kOS scripts from being on target. Usually I'm 1-2km off of my target landing unless I have the fuel tanks at the bottom.

Edit: I'd suggest making the F9 engines weigh more or since the B5 legs seem to be on the roadmap, make those weigh more (maybe double the weight) and make them sturdier than the KRE legs, the KRE legs have some trouble holding up the booster when there's more fuel in it than expected at landing.

Edited by FatherOfGold

6 hours ago, FatherOfGold said:

When I flip from radial out to prograde, the vehicle starts gliding backwards for Starship. I've had to clip a few small fuel tanks to the Falcon 9 to get the center of mass to be as low as possible. It does tend to flip a lot and prevent my kOS scripts from being on target. Usually I'm 1-2km off of my target landing unless I have the fuel tanks at the bottom.

Edit: I'd suggest making the F9 engines weigh more or since the B5 legs seem to be on the roadmap, make those weigh more (maybe double the weight) and make them sturdier than the KRE legs, the KRE legs have some trouble holding up the booster when there's more fuel in it than expected at landing.

This has nothing to do with the engines or legs. The erectors sometimes give the tank 0 drag. This is an easy fix but I have to do it right. Hopefully I have a fix early next week. For now, avoid using my erectors.

17 hours ago, OPBlue said:

Do you have any plans to add parts to make Starship Human Landing System like the one in this picture?

hls-starship.jpg

no he doesn't, he previously said he wants to pause making concepts, because they are concepts, he has already made a bfr, starship mk3, and mk4. Elon changes his mind to much to keep up with.

7 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

no he doesn't, he previously said he wants to pause making concepts, because they are concepts, he has already made a bfr, starship mk3, and mk4. Elon changes his mind to much to keep up with.

Okay, thanks.

8 hours ago, SilNaZ said:

Whenever I try to recover the Ghidorah's first stage it clips into the Merlin in the second stage does anyone know why?

FMRS issue. Try set the save time for FMRS at like 2 seconds.

Edited by damonvv

15 hours ago, SilNaZ said:

Whenever I try to recover the Ghidorah's first stage it clips into the Merlin in the second stage does anyone know why?

It's the fault of FMRS or KSPs quicksave system. The second stage isn't immediately lit and collision physics doesn't immediately start running when you load a quicksave, which means that the second stage has enough time to clip into the interstage and it causes a mess. I enable unbreakable joints and no crash damage right before loading the quicksave, it fixes the issue.

22 hours ago, alberro+ said:

Gotta love Tundra's Dragon.

J93T22E.png

Where's the docking port from?

11 hours ago, 某事不过三兄 said:

I can't download it from CKAN, their must be something wrong

For some reason it doesn't appear for 1.9 or 1.10, but if you go to KSP 1.8 Tundra 2.0 appears on CKAN, but it shows that it's compatible with 1.10, weird.