[1.12.x] Tundra Exploration - v7.0 (Nov 5th, 2023) - (Re)Stockalike SpaceX Falcon 9, (Crew) Dragon (XL) & Haven-1!

Damon

On 7/7/2018 at 7:11 PM, Nessus_ said:

@infinite_monkey Ok, one thing after another :) Yes, the spaceship parts use custom configs that rescale them to be 9m in diameter and yes, the solar panels are from Near Future Solar and yes, they are indeed small, I installed them last minute and didn't resize them. I use RO with all recommended mods, including FAR and (not only) because of that it would take a lot of work to make the scripts work in stock KSP. Changing the required velocities wouldn't be too hard, but there are a lot of references to RO throughout the code (Earth <-> Kerbin, LqdMethane, LqdOxygen <-> LiquidFuel, Oxidizer) but with a bit of time it is certainly possible.

Lastly, why only two engines? During most of the mission the spaceships tanks are <25% full (more deltaV per ton of fuel). With all 4 engines the ship would accelarate with ~3-4g. So it's easier on the crew (and therefore more realistic) to use only two engines if possible.

Thanks for your info :) I tried your landing script, but somehow my ship wants to steer downwards... Anyway, I realized your approaches are pretty similar to mine. My problem is "last minute precision", and I realized that my problem is coming in at a relatively shallow angle (about 60°, while it seems your ship is coming in almost vertically).

Anyway, you say your booster has only 10% fuel left for boostback AND landing? I find it impossible to do that with the original config in stock game. Maybe the booster is just too small? While the diameter of the BFR is to scale (9m => 6m), the height os not (108m total => 57 m if I remember correctly, while it should be 72). Also, I think the booster pod is too heavy. Maybe you could team up with @damonvv for better balancing?

Some more questions (sorry for bothering you, I want a SpaceX style mars mission so badly :blush:): which version of infernal robotics are you using for the crane? I was trying the 3.0.0 beta, but with every version there are different bugs... And are you using the Hangar mod for storing the rover?

@damonvv Could you add some KIS storage on the crewed BFS command pod? Seat inventory is not enough for storing rovers ;) 

I can't guarantee my script works with any other rocket/ship than mine but hopefully you could get some information/inspiration out of it :)  My script is the result of months of coding and yeah, the landing works best when coming in vertically. The script for the final landing doesn't use the Trajectories mod because it's still the same function I used for my Falcon Heavy boosters. I needed sth. that didn't depend on Trajectories since it can't be accessed from kOS on different vessels. So it's not perfect but so far I was pretty happy with it.

Yes, 10% fuel for boostback and landing. Keep in mind, this is Realism Overhaul, first stage landings in stock KSP are much less effective because the dry mass of the tanks is much higher than in reality (to balance out the small planets), so you get less deltaV from the same mass of fuel. I actually didn't use the Tundra Exploration parts for the booster, the procedural tanks from RO were good enough. They are usually a good estimate of how heavy real fuel tanks would be (also we don't know the exact stats of the booster). I only wrote custom configs for the spaceship parts because we have pretty detailed information about the ship.

I am currently planning a mars mission with BFR, that will take some time though :) I use Infernal Robotics 2.0.6 but I remember I downloaded some additional files because it didn't really work initially, but I don't remember where I got them... The transport of the rover really wasn't nice, it was just clipped inside the ship with the translation tool in the VAB, I didn't bother to do something fancy for the rover :D The whole base scene was real though, all the parts were in KIS storage in the rover. 

Just now, space_powder said:

Oh man that's hot, any idea when it'll be released?

Release is far, will take around 1 or 2 weeks to finish BFS, and then I have to change the booster a bit. And not sure if I go and do IVA right away. That will take the longest.

On 7/16/2018 at 10:23 AM, damonvv said:

sbZog0L_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Real progress has been made :cool:

Bigger Delta-Wing? Did you already fly it? :cool:

What else is on your roadmap? Will you integrate KIS support? Would make sense for a colonization ship.

Would it be possible to make parts scaleable? I think the BFS is a little too small compared to the F9. It's pretty hard to fit in a useful rover (to be fair, most rovers are too big IMHO), and I would like to have it 6m wide, so I can fit in 5 m parts easily.

M7aoWzW.png

More improvements! 

2 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

What else is on your roadmap? Will you integrate KIS support? Would make sense for a colonization ship.

Would it be possible to make parts scaleable? I think the BFS is a little too small compared to the F9. It's pretty hard to fit in a useful rover (to be fair, most rovers are too big IMHO), and I would like to have it 6m wide, so I can fit in 5 m parts easily.

Yes, more KIS support.

Also I can look into adding tweakscale support for those wanting it!

I love it! Are you gonna change the opening mechanism for the cargo bay as well? Sadly, there is not much information about that from SpaceX. While the current approach is OK for deploying stuff in 0g, I don't think this is gonna be used for Mars cargo missions. For those, I think they gonna either use the same door as in the crewed version (maybe a bit bigger), or sideways opening like the space shuttle had.

I'm not sure if this is due to one of my mods, but in the current version stuff inside the cargo bay is getting hot during reentry. Does anyone else have that problem? Oh, and my solar panels (although retracted) are burning up as well :D Any tips?

I guess the small dots on the crewed BFS are the windows of the passenger cabins. So I think they should light up when turning on lights?

18 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

I love it! Are you gonna change the opening mechanism for the cargo bay as well? Sadly, there is not much information about that from SpaceX. While the current approach is OK for deploying stuff in 0g, I don't think this is gonna be used for Mars cargo missions. For those, I think they gonna either use the same door as in the crewed version (maybe a bit bigger), or sideways opening like the space shuttle had.

I'm not sure if this is due to one of my mods, but in the current version stuff inside the cargo bay is getting hot during reentry. Does anyone else have that problem? Oh, and my solar panels (although retracted) are burning up as well :D Any tips?

I guess the small dots on the crewed BFS are the windows of the passenger cabins. So I think they should light up when turning on lights?

Yes those will change with better mechanics.

Yes the cargo bay doesn’t protect the sats much. But I was pretty noob at that time. Is fixed in next update &)

And yes more lights, Will depend on how my IVA is layed out. Some sections may be cargo rooms so those lights might be off ;)

2 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

Is the nose going to be grey now?

Will the flaps going up (in) and down (out) in reality or just down? I wonder how the aerodynamics work, and how to steer this.

I haven't done the UV mapping for the nose yet, I think it will be just black.

Wings will go both ways IRL, so that's what I will do too!

On 7/22/2018 at 4:41 PM, infinite_monkey said:

Is the crew hatch on the other side now?

Did you change the shape as well? It looks more conic now, I would prefer a slightly rounder shape.

I agree with @space_powder about the windows - I think the black outline size should be the same for the large and the small windows.

Both sides, will only use 1 side for actual EVA. Nose didn't change in shape, just the camera making it look weird!

On 7/22/2018 at 9:41 PM, DylanSemrau said:

Do you think we could ever see Falcon 9 version 1.0? I would love to see the shorter tanks and square engine layout :D

See changelog :ph34r: here

20 hours ago, RocketScientist said:

The fairings the mod adds always collide with the adapter

I know.. I fixed it but it broke again and now I will fix it once and for all!

Update:
I updated the change log HERE so be sure to check it out HERE!

NVVerGl.png

13 hours ago, ChinoBasico said:

Hey, how can i download it for version 1.3.1? please help

Eh, scroll down on spacedock to see a 1.3.1 version.

7 hours ago, sibaar said:

How do I add landing legs to the bfr ship?

Super frustrated.

Only problem is that KRE only has the ITS version of the legs. So best way to do it is using the move and rotate tools to get them somewhat nice on the bottom, or look into the .craft files that come with the mod and see how it’s done.

5 hours ago, damonvv said:

Only problem is that KRE only has the ITS version of the legs. So best way to do it is using the move and rotate tools to get them somewhat nice on the bottom, or look into the .craft files that come with the mod and see how it’s done.

Oh, that's the ITS version? Never realized that :D 

In the old KRE version, the smaller landing legs fit nicely, but in the current version, they are somewhat tilted(?), and they clip inside the BFS. @damonvv do you plan adding your own legs, or do you know if there gonna be changes in KRE?

Edited by infinite_monkey

@damonvv I just stumbled over @Alcentar's BFR mod, it looks very nice. I especially like the following things:

• vacuum engines can gimbal, like in real life; my BFS keeps oscillating, maybe my cargo's center of mass is not perfectly aligned. I think gimballing could help.
  • the ladder for the crew hatch is a nice idea; are there any mods that could add such a long extendable ladder to my BFS?
  • I love the crewed BFS's payload bay! I already wanted to ask if you could add some cargo space in the BFS. With a cargo bay, a standard 5m Kontainer Tank could be popped right in - there would be clipping, though, so one more reason to scale the BFR up by 15 or 20% :D So one can choose between some tank, a KIS container or a nice little rover
  • the rear wall of the cargo pod is flat; in your BFS, there is that attachment cone, which often is exactly the little bit more of space I'd need (of course, cargo will always be too big :blush:)