[1.12.x] Tundra Exploration - v7.0 (Nov 5th, 2023) - (Re)Stockalike SpaceX Falcon 9, (Crew) Dragon (XL) & Haven-1!

Damon

27 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

@damonvv Did you create new fins for the booster? SpaceX doesn't seem to have decided whether the booster will have 3 fins or 4 - there are illustrations of both variants. And in some images it looks like it won't have any grid finds, on other images it does. Anyway, most of the force (or, in space, of course all the force) to turn comes from the RCS thrusters. They seem pretty powerful. The current Gojira booster turns pretty slowly compared to what I've seen in SpaceX's videos.

BFB has 3 fins and 4 grid fins. Yeah my old BFB is badly balanced, will be fixed!

Edited by damonvv

5 hours ago, g600 said:

Now the real question would be when @Nessus_ would do a RO+RSS simulation of #dearMoon or Mars mission with this new BFR?

As soon as I can get it to work with RO, obviously ;) Maybe I can assist with the RO configs. Not sure about #dearMoon though, the video would need to be much more interesting than a simple moon flyby, but Mars is definitely planned :) 

6 hours ago, damonvv said:

BFB has 3 fins and 4 grid fins. 

According to this picture, it's 4 fins:

spacex3501.jpg

But according to this one, it's 3 fins (with some structure which I guess is for the launch/landing clamps) and apparently no grid fins. Interestingly, the RCS thrusters seem to fire only tangential to the booster, not radially outwards.

spacex6.jpg

29 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

Interestingly, the RCS thrusters seem to fire only tangential to the booster, not radially outwards.

Just because that one image doesn't show them firing radially doesn't mean they CAN'T. They just aren't right now because it's just doing a pitch over maneuver. There's no reason or need for it to be yawing right now so they aren't firing.

@Starwaster @infinite_monkey BFR renders are messed up, but luckily Elon confirmed things on twitter.

• BFB will have 3 fins and 4 grid fins
  • BFB will have a different engine cluster for probably landing
  • BFB in picture above is from the old render but stretched out and the missing grid fins on the 2nd pic is just a render issue.

Hi, I am really excited about this new update as it has features I have long awaited for. So, where can I download the beta(when it is released) and when are you planning on releasing it? Also btw I'm checking this forum like every hour(no joke)

The grid fins exist on the booster, Musk said they were omitted on the render for some reason.

As for the differing BFB fins/landing latches, the one with the black base also has the flare/bulge (looks about 1m wider, apparently).

19 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Just because that one image doesn't show them firing radially doesn't mean they CAN'T. They just aren't right now because it's just doing a pitch over maneuver. There's no reason or need for it to be yawing right now so they aren't firing.

Of course the firing thrusters don't need to thrust outwards, but there seem to be thrusters on all 4 sides , so I expected the lower one to fire as well. But apparently the rendering is inaccurate anyway.

Best way to see my progress is through my Roadmap listed in the OP. But I'm getting there!
PxTVPx0.png

That's just... Wow. Honestly this is a pretty incredible BFR model. That's all I can say.
Also, why did you divide the Booster into 2 fuel tanks?
The previous booster was just one giant tank, so why did you change it? 

Also again, this is pretty amazing. I literally said it twice. That's how amazed I am.

Edited by darkerdadorito
decided to quote about what i was talking about, even though it was pretty obvious i assume

6 hours ago, darkerdadorito said:

That's just... Wow. Honestly this is a pretty incredible BFR model. That's all I can say.
Also, why did you divide the Booster into 2 fuel tanks?
The previous booster was just one giant tank, so why did you change it? 

Also again, this is pretty amazing. I literally said it twice. That's how amazed I am.

The fuel tank is just 1 part, so you have to place it 2 times for the right size. I did that to save tons of texture space and avoid getting those repeated textures. Now you can just add the second tank, rotate it a bit and it looks way better ;) 

9 hours ago, damonvv said:

Best way to see my progress is through my Roadmap listed in the OP. But I'm getting there!

PxTVPx0.png

That is amazing. Now I need to figure out how the hell you land a BFR.

Do the fins fold?

EDIT: I assume the BFR 2017 parts will be removed and replaced with this?

Edited by RealKerbal3x

21 minutes ago, Drakenex said:

Are you going to make the engine cover a docking/decoupler again? Because that module doesn't work with MechJeb!

I don't think the BFS docks 'butt to butt' anymore, with the new design.

BFR1_Moon.jpg

Those panels around the Raptor engines are cargo bays. @damonvv says he plans to make those KIS storage. I have no idea how the 2018 BFS will dock.

3 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

That is amazing. Now I need to figure out how the hell you land a BFR.

Do the fins fold?

EDIT: I assume the BFR 2017 parts will be removed and replaced with this?

BFS lands on its fins that are equiped with dampeners on the tips.

As for the booster, well, it seems to copy Blue Origin's New Glenn's or new Shepard's landing gear.

4 minutes ago, Quoniam Kerman said:

As for the booster, well, it seems to copy Blue Origin's New Glenn's or new Shepard's landing gear.

They have still been talking about landing on the launch clamps, I think.

12 hours ago, damonvv said:

Best way to see my progress is through my Roadmap listed in the OP. But I'm getting there!

PxTVPx0.png

And, BTW...

Wow.

On 9/29/2018 at 8:28 AM, infinite_monkey said:

Why not? I guess you could put fuel lines between or instead of some of those cargo containers. Of course the ships would need to be rotated by 180° so the fins don't get in the way. 

This is what guestimate models over at NSF show.

Edited by tater

1 minute ago, banditsan said:

@damonvv maybe some one already posted but cannot find it.

Found some props in Rodan IVA flipped when using RPM, don't tested it without RPM

I haven't checked Rodans IVA in like a year or so, also never revamped that bit since forever hahah. Once my 2018 version of Dragon V2 is ingame I will update the IVA and make it look prettier ;) 

4 minutes ago, damonvv said:

I haven't checked Rodans IVA in like a year or so, also never revamped that bit since forever hahah. Once my 2018 version of Dragon V2 is ingame I will update the IVA and make it look prettier ;) 

Yes current one needs some love has no basic light :). I never before liked flying using IVA cause you missing some controls but after randomly found IVA'a with ASET Props and done well now i wanna fly only using IVA :D

1 minute ago, banditsan said:

By the way you wanna maybe change category co communications for HG-55 Deep Space Antenna on next update. Its realy nice part for small probes but kinda gets lost in science tab :)

Yep! Already fixed that in my install!