[1.12.x] Tundra Exploration - v7.0 (Nov 5th, 2023) - (Re)Stockalike SpaceX Falcon 9, (Crew) Dragon (XL) & Haven-1!

Damon

2 minutes ago, OccupyMarsNow said:

The option to switch to 3-engine mode is back, but no flame and sound when firing (there is thrust though) with 3 engines.

That is interesing. I tested this and it worked fine. 

7 minutes ago, OccupyMarsNow said:

Yes, using RealPlume too. Problem exists with my craft file built with the last public release (non-GitHub), and a new build.

Does it work if you build a new one? (At work so I can only ask things hehe)

Edited by damonvv

1 hour ago, space_powder said:

Can confirm, three engine burn doesn't have any sound nor plume but gives me bööst

@OccupyMarsNow

I found the issue.

I made a small MM patch inside the F9 engine stage config so if you don't have Kerbal Actuators installed, you only have 2 modes instead of 3. But that somehow blocks some modes with plumes unless you install WBI Tools..

Not sure how I'm going to fix this because I don't really want to include WBI Tools even tho it worked previously with just Kerbal Actuators. Something inside the MM config is messing things up with the plume. Hopefully @Angel-125 can help me out on this.

Edited by damonvv

2 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

Is PICA-K still the headshield to go for the new Dragon? There is slight clipping, since it seems to overlap a little with the edge of the craft.

That’s 1.4 for ya.. can’t really do much about that sadly. I will put another git update with the legs actually working! 

After that I think we are pretty close to put BFR on there as well!

Edited by damonvv

2 hours ago, damonvv said:

That’s 1.4 for ya.. can’t really do much about that sadly. I will put another git update with the legs actually working! 

After that I think we are pretty close to put BFR on there as well!

Yay :) Can't wait...

Another thing: is there a reason why Dragon's hatch has no window anymore? The IVA, on the other hand (I know that is planned for later), has 3 front windows, which are mostly blocked by a blank control panel, and no side windows.

3 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

Yay :) Can't wait...

Another thing: is there a reason why Dragon's hatch has no window anymore? The IVA, on the other hand (I know that is planned for later), has 3 front windows, which are mostly blocked by a blank control panel, and no side windows.

The new Dragon V2 only has 4 windows. 2 on the front and one on each side. No window on the hatch because safety concerns I think. And yeah the IVA is old, will update!

2 hours ago, damonvv said:

The new Dragon V2 only has 4 windows. 2 on the front and one on each side. No window on the hatch because safety concerns I think. And yeah the IVA is old, will update!

Thanks for the clarification.

Since I'm testing in a new install and create my rockets from scratch, I noticed something I kept ignoring for a while, because I usually use subassemblies: For separating the booster from the upper stage of the F9, I use sepratrons, since the ejection force seems too weak - it separates very slowly, and the upper stage engine comes out of the side of the interstage fairing.

Maybe my staging procedure is wrong? I usually cut off the booster engine, then stage, then wait until there is some clearance between the engine and the fairing (maybe about 10 m), then fire up the second stage. Altitude is usually between 30000 and 40000 m, maybe the atmosphere is still pushing down the upper stage too hard?

1 minute ago, infinite_monkey said:

-it separates very slowly, and the upper stage engine comes out of the side of the interstage fairing.

The interstage has no collider due to some weird buggyness with FMRS. For the forces on the decoupler, I can tweak it a bit so you have more clearance before firing the engine! 

3 minutes ago, damonvv said:

The interstage has no collider due to some weird buggyness with FMRS. For the forces on the decoupler, I can tweak it a bit so you have more clearance before firing the engine! 

Well, for now I'm happy there's no collider, otherwise I'd keep blowing up my rockets :D Yeah I think a higher force would be nice, thank you.

If I remember correctly, you are playing on a scaled up Kerbol system? Which one, and how does rocket power keep up with it? I would prefer to go directly to orbit, without the need of a circularization burn... Is that possible in your setup?

19 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

Well, for now I'm happy there's no collider, otherwise I'd keep blowing up my rockets :D Yeah I think a higher force would be nice, thank you.

If I remember correctly, you are playing on a scaled up Kerbol system? Which one, and how does rocket power keep up with it? I would prefer to go directly to orbit, without the need of a circularization burn... Is that possible in your setup?

Works kind of the same! Just don't go full thrust on S2 and I can get into orbit with just one burn

8 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

Thanks for the clarification.

Since I'm testing in a new install and create my rockets from scratch, I noticed something I kept ignoring for a while, because I usually use subassemblies: For separating the booster from the upper stage of the F9, I use sepratrons, since the ejection force seems too weak - it separates very slowly, and the upper stage engine comes out of the side of the interstage fairing.

Maybe my staging procedure is wrong? I usually cut off the booster engine, then stage, then wait until there is some clearance between the engine and the fairing (maybe about 10 m), then fire up the second stage. Altitude is usually between 30000 and 40000 m, maybe the atmosphere is still pushing down the upper stage too hard?

I usually fire RCS on S2 (on AFT) for a few seconds before igniting the MVac.