[1.12.x] Tundra Exploration - v7.0 (Nov 5th, 2023) - (Re)Stockalike SpaceX Falcon 9, (Crew) Dragon (XL) & Haven-1!

Damon

1 hour ago, eskimo22 said:

Can you put the 3d models that you made for this mod on Thingiverse? It would be great to be able to print the models in this mod.

Maybe I will one day. At this moment no. (Thinking of buying a 3D printer myself and printing my own models) So never say never ;) 

That looks great!

I was experimenting with putting in a ModuleAeroSurface part to make the fins act like a Speedbrake controllable by SAS, but I can't manage to get this working. I read somewhere that transformName = should reference to the "moving part" (I don't know what it's called in it's hierarchy), but it doesn't move or work at all actually. Any tips to get it basically working?

I was wondering what the current options are to make the Fins into control surfaces or speedbrakes? In one of his newer videos about the BFR, Everyday-Astronaut put some actual side-mounted (and 5x accelerated) speedbrakes on to control the attitude with SAS, which works wonderfully.

There must be a way to make it working with this BFR.

Edited by Janus92

Nice :) Are these 12 individual parts or just a single one?

Were you able to figure out why the internal hatch can't be used? I had an idea: the space BEHIND the hatch might be too small to fit a Kerbal. Maybe if the hatch is on the ceiling of the cargo bay (which then could go straight through and have 2 doors) it might work? Of course, that would mean to sacrifice the external hatch... Are there docking ports that double-act as a hatch?

49 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

Nice :) Are these 12 individual parts or just a single one?

Were you able to figure out why the internal hatch can't be used? I had an idea: the space BEHIND the hatch might be too small to fit a Kerbal. Maybe if the hatch is on the ceiling of the cargo bay (which then could go straight through and have 2 doors) it might work? Of course, that would mean to sacrifice the external hatch... Are there docking ports that double-act as a hatch?

1 part you can place 12 times!

I forgot about the EVA thing, will try and fix it now

2 hours ago, Janus92 said:

That looks great!

I was experimenting with putting in a ModuleAeroSurface part to make the fins act like a Speedbrake controllable by SAS, but I can't manage to get this working. I read somewhere that transformName = should reference to the "moving part" (I don't know what it's called in it's hierarchy), but it doesn't move or work at all actually. Any tips to get it basically working?

I was wondering what the current options are to make the Fins into control surfaces or speedbrakes? In one of his newer videos about the BFR, Everyday-Astronaut put some actual side-mounted (and 5x accelerated) speedbrakes on to control the attitude with SAS, which works wonderfully.

There must be a way to make it working with this BFR.

I have tried many options with speedbrakes but nothing works the way I want it to. And keep in mind these fins are also used for landing. Launching an airbrake in the "open/landing" position that act as a speedbrake is also a bad idea.

27 minutes ago, damonvv said:

I have tried many options with speedbrakes but nothing works the way I want it to. And keep in mind these fins are also used for landing. Launching an airbrake in the "open/landing" position that act as a speedbrake is also a bad idea.

Ah I see. Anyway it flies wonderfully! Thank you!

I'm pumped for the final release(IVA is coming). Here are some things I noticed(not just the BFR). The Falcon 1 was unlocked very early in career mode, and made my life easier. Also, the new BFR works as an SSTO. Is that supposed to happen? And are the cargo attachments heat resistant(in case I come in through a ballistic reentry)?

Also, because there was no Tanker BFS in the previous release, I made by own using procedural parts. When is the new one coming?

Can you also make the BFS Remote Controllable and not need a minimum crew? I believe that is how the real one is going to be. And do you have a reason for it only having a 10 crew capacity? I am pretty sure the real BFS has 40 cabins allowing a maximum of 100 people to be on the ship.

47 minutes ago, HotVector said:

Also, because there was no Tanker BFS in the previous release, I made by own using procedural parts. When is the new one coming?

Can you also make the BFS Remote Controllable and not need a minimum crew? I believe that is how the real one is going to be. And do you have a reason for it only having a 10 crew capacity? I am pretty sure the real BFS has 40 cabins allowing a maximum of 100 people to be on the ship.

I always just put tanks inside the cargo bay, but yeah, that's a lot of wasted space.

I doubt the BFR will initially bring 100 people. I think 10 to 20 is realistic for a first mission. But anyway, this BFR would need to be scaled up by 20% for realistic size (relative to Kerbals). That's 73% more volume...

Does anyone know of an easy way to scale parts up? @Nessus_ maybe? I tried changing the scaling factor, but that keeps the attachment nodes in the same places. Plus, you would need to change it back after every update... TweakScale compatibility might be an option, but I don't know how that works yet. And somewhere I read that breaks IVA :(

55 minutes ago, HotVector said:

I'm pumped for the final release(IVA is coming). Here are some things I noticed(not just the BFR). The Falcon 1 was unlocked very early in career mode, and made my life easier. Also, the new BFR works as an SSTO. Is that supposed to happen? And are the cargo attachments heat resistant(in case I come in through a ballistic reentry)?

Yes I get your point in Falcon 1 being a bit too early game, might change it a node in the tree.
And yes the AFT cargo sections have a slight heat resistance.

BFS tankers and cargo pods are a low priority to me right now. Fully focused on IVA at this moment.

I might even bring Kerbals down to 8 as I have barely any room to fit kerbals nicely in my IVAs.

Just now, infinite_monkey said:

What about the stock lab (MPL-LG-2) for reference? It has 3 stories and only 2 seats, but I think could easily hold 24 or at least 16 - and that's for a 2.5m part.

But I want to create a place where Kerbals can survive for a long period of time, so they need plenty of room and things to do while on a trip to Duna :) 

40 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

Does anyone know of an easy way to scale parts up? @Nessus_ maybe? I tried changing the scaling factor, but that keeps the attachment nodes in the same places.

Create a cfg file somewhere in GameData that changes the rescaleFactor like so (assuming you have Module Manager installed):

@PART[PartName] {
  %rescaleFactor = 2
}

Replace PartName with the part name (surprise :o) and set the rescaleFactor to your needs, 2 makes it 2 times as big. Keep the file when you update and it should still work.

Sorry for bugging you, but: you decided to make the BFR a 5m rocket in order to be smaller than the Saturn V from another mod. The thing is: that Saturn V is too small - which is fine, since it is probably already overpowered, and it does what it should: bring Kerbals to the Mun or even to Duna. But its purpose was never to offer plenty of room. That's a whole different story for the BFR. As I said - adding 20% of diameter adds over 70% of volume...

Realistically, I think the seats will be stowed away during the trip, since they're needed only during launch and landing. Since there's probably no way to do that in KSP, I think the best option is to build a bridge with maybe 2 seats, plus 1 or 2 seats for each crew cabin (similar to the lab I mentioned), and design the large area under the big window as a space basketball field or something like that ;) 

Thanks @Nessus_, I'll give it a try.

Edited by infinite_monkey

So uhh, why is the kingfisher 12 tonne engine 1.25m sized in the latest spacedock release? can that be fixed?

on a sidenote, what is the 5m vacuum engine even for? it's not re-usable as a BFR engine unless you make some sort of massive 5m expendable BFR

Edited by BRAAAP_STUTUTU

7 minutes ago, BRAAAP_STUTUTU said:

So uhh, why is the kingfisher 12 tonne engine 1.25m sized in the latest spacedock release? can that be fixed?

on a sidenote, what is the 5m vacuum engine even for? it's not re-usable as a BFR engine unless you make some sort of massive 5m expendable BFR

I am totally confused by this question? If you mean the 2017 BFR version that is on spacedock. You need the 4 VAC engines in the engine shroud, and then use the 1.25m Raptor SL engines and put it in between the 4 vac engines. (The one in github right now only uses 1 SL Raptor engine that has to be placed 7 times in the engine shroud!

2 minutes ago, damonvv said:

I am totally confused by this question? If you mean the 2017 BFR version that is on spacedock. You need the 4 VAC engines in the engine shroud, and then use the 1.25m Raptor SL engines and put it in between the 4 vac engines. (The one in github right now only uses 1 SL Raptor engine that has to be placed 7 times in the engine shroud!

yes, the 2017 version, i don't see why you would combine those engines though, the single 1.25m raptor engine pretty much provides over 1.2 TWR at SL for the BFR upper stage and on it's own gets pretty much the same amount of deltaV for the upper stage as the vacuum engine due to it being lighter, adding BOTH would drop the Delta V massively because you'd be wasting a massive amount of fuel on just the 28 tonnes of the engines

and even then, i don't get how a 1.25m engine cluster is producing a third more thrust and weighs double what a mainsail check in at?

6 minutes ago, BRAAAP_STUTUTU said:

yes, the 2017 version, i don't see why you would combine those engines though, the single 1.25m raptor engine pretty much provides over 1.2 TWR at SL for the BFR upper stage and on it's own gets pretty much the same amount of deltaV for the upper stage as the vacuum engine due to it being lighter, adding BOTH would drop the Delta V massively because you'd be wasting a massive amount of fuel on just the 28 tonnes of the engines

and even then, i don't get how a 1.25m engine cluster is producing a third more thrust and weighs double what a mainsail check in at?

Well, I will ditch the old parts very soon. The new BFR models are really well balanced so far!

Just now, damonvv said:

Well, I will ditch the old parts very soon. The new BFR models are really well balanced so far!

oh yeah, i've tested them

seems like you forgot to assign the engines to tech tree nodes though

(and the massive snack capacity of the older BFR model)

so ehh, why does the new BFR only have 8 kerbal capacity vs the old 10 if you don't mind me asking?

2 minutes ago, BRAAAP_STUTUTU said:

oh yeah, i've tested them

seems like you forgot to assign the engines to tech tree nodes though

(and the massive snack capacity of the older BFR model)

so ehh, why does the new BFR only have 8 kerbal capacity vs the old 10 if you don't mind me asking?

That's what I kind of calculated would fit nicely in the interior of BFR. I don''t want to make a big space with seats that look outside. I want to add various rooms with different things Kerbals can do. And for that I need room. Also I don't think (Kerbalisticly) you don't really need to send 10/15 kerbals at once to a place.

15 minutes ago, damonvv said:

That's what I kind of calculated would fit nicely in the interior of BFR. I don''t want to make a big space with seats that look outside. I want to add various rooms with different things Kerbals can do. And for that I need room. Also I don't think (Kerbalisticly) you don't really need to send 10/15 kerbals at once to a place.

hmm, well usually not, but if you want to kolonize a planet or do tourism contracts with very large amounts of tourists you could definitely use moar crew space,i suppose i could put some eva seats in the cargo bay area but a dedicated crew module could be useful perhaps, maybe one with DeepFreeze support?

actually now i think about it, musk has jokingly said he wanted to use the BFR as a hypersonic passenger vehicle someday

Edited by BRAAAP_STUTUTU

4 hours ago, BRAAAP_STUTUTU said:

actually now i think about it, musk has jokingly said he wanted to use the BFR as a hypersonic passenger vehicle someday

Gwynne Shotwell said on TED that SpaceX is seriously trying to use the BFR as a hypersonic passenger liner.

4 hours ago, damonvv said:

The BFR apparently has the same pressurized volume as the lower deck of the Airbus A380, which could mean that they could fit about 400 people tightly packed in there(economy seats) for earth-to-earth missions. I have made my own stock version of the BFR with a capacity for 100 crew members. It was made of about 40 Mk2 crew cabins, which is basically the BFR design, which wanted to use 40 cabins. Also it didn't have any part clipping. So I think it is pretty practical to make a BFR with at least a 15-20 crew capacity(and like @BRAAAP_STUTUTU said, it would be pretty nifty for tourism missions...). I also believe that you can't really make Kerbals do stuff in different rooms(as far as I know, please correct me if I am wrong)

Also what about the solar panels? Why did they get removed in the beta? I am having to use stock solar panels :(