[1.12.x] Tundra Exploration - v7.0 (Nov 5th, 2023) - (Re)Stockalike SpaceX Falcon 9, (Crew) Dragon (XL) & Haven-1!

Damon

18 minutes ago, damonvv said:

So Apparently Elon is going to Change BFR design again. Which is just, great..!
I will try to include them all. So from the 2016 ITS to 2017, 2018 designs and beyond. 

Uhmmm link?!??

(also, of course he's gonna change it again... ;) )

Just make multiple ships for the mod! they all look great anyway!

Got a qyestion thow, im flying alien space program on eve, and constantly the BFS command pod is breaking away from the engine shourd, its to do with high forces or high G's (its full  of kiss hear going for orbit) any idea how to fix it, i tried putting a tank in between and the tank snapped from the Shroud too, so it seems to be an issue with that, and upping the breaking force to 3000, (also tried lowering it to 400) for moth stress and tourque did nothing.

Any ideas?

9 minutes ago, Space Kadet said:

Just make multiple ships for the mod! they all look great anyway!

Got a qyestion thow, im flying alien space program on eve, and constantly the BFS command pod is breaking away from the engine shourd, its to do with high forces or high G's (its full  of kiss hear going for orbit) any idea how to fix it, i tried putting a tank in between and the tank snapped from the Shroud too, so it seems to be an issue with that, and upping the breaking force to 3000, (also tried lowering it to 400) for moth stress and tourque did nothing.

Any ideas?

try autostrutting?

Tundra Exploration v1.2.1 is live!

Version 1.2.1
- Added Gojira Tanker version
- Fixed Shielding on parts (Thanks @JadeOfMaar)
- Fixed craft files
- Removed hatch inside cargo bay on Gojira Command Pod
- Revamp Ghidorah sound

Download from SpaceDock!

Happy launches!

Be aware that your Command pod might be broken in space, a new build in your VAB or using the updated craft files will work. Old craft files needs to be replaced.

Edited by damonvv

Well, its not surprising the BFR keeps getting redesigned. It is basically new technology, a new space vehicle designed from the ground up for a new specific purpose. It took the folks in the 50s a decade or so to come up with the type of rocket design we've been using for the last 60 years. I imagine the BFR will probably go through at least another 2 major noticeable changes before they get to a design that just requires tweaks.

Edited by Stevie_D

1 hour ago, Stevie_D said:

Well, its not surprising the BFR keeps getting redesigned. It is basically new technology, a new space vehicle designed from the ground up for a new specific purpose. It took the folks in the 50s a decade or so to come up with the type of rocket design we've been using for the last 60 years. I imagine the BFR will probably go through at least another 2 major noticeable changes before they get to a design that just requires tweaks.

Just remember that the further we are away from a design freeze, the further we are from that lunar flyby and even further from Mars launches.

What we've got now are basically treatments of concept vehicles and we get a new one every few months.

I know the natural reaction is to be excited when Elon tweets a new design or gives a presentation but every time he does: We just got THAT much further away.

Edit: I guess the good news though is that the constant redesigns shouldn't have too much impact on the prototype, which is basically just a testbed for the landing technologies involved in a vehicle of that size....

Also, @damonvv? I'll just leave this here...

alOhEQ1.png

Edited by Starwaster

Actually, each design change they make is to bring it closer to its design goals. Thats why you change a design.

The problem lies in the fact that they know what the goals are, but -because- it is a new design, they dont know how best to achieve those goals.

The point im making - is designing new technology is a messy, ever changing process.  It always has been, always will be.

Edited by Stevie_D

22 hours ago, damonvv said:

So Apparently Elon is going to Change BFR design again. Which is just, great..!
I will try to include them all. So from the 2016 ITS to 2017, 2018 designs and beyond. 

Think of something "delightfully counter-intuitive" using the same tooling (9m form), and make something crazy.

My idea? Something like FH, but with 2-3 BFS together (crossfeed) back to back.

BFS (actual orbital ship) has 7 engines (as it does currently), and if 2 tankers attached, each has 12 engines, else 1 tanker, and it has 24 (instead of 31). Crossfeed to orbital core, stage side vehicles when depleted. All the side vehicles need to be able to do is get to 2.5 km/s (Earth, less for KSP) with the core full.

5 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Just remember that the further we are away from a design freeze, the further we are from that lunar flyby and even further from Mars launches.

What we've got now are basically treatments of concept vehicles and we get a new one every few months.

I know the natural reaction is to be excited when Elon tweets a new design or gives a presentation but every time he does: We just got THAT much further away.

Edit: I guess the good news though is that the constant redesigns shouldn't have too much impact on the prototype, which is basically just a testbed for the landing technologies involved in a vehicle of that size....

Also, @damonvv? I'll just leave this here...

alOhEQ1.png

That's sexy

I must have derped badly, because I am getting a crash on selecting any Tundra part, due to 2 B9partswitch modules trying to handle the same resource. Modules B9Fuelswitch and TE_Fuel. I have deleted old versions of Tundra Tech and Tundra Ex, and installed the new versions, but issue persists. I am unsure what to change to resolve the conflict. 

2 hours ago, Gryphorim said:

I must have derped badly, because I am getting a crash on selecting any Tundra part, due to 2 B9partswitch modules trying to handle the same resource. Modules B9Fuelswitch and TE_Fuel. I have deleted old versions of Tundra Tech and Tundra Ex, and installed the new versions, but issue persists. I am unsure what to change to resolve the conflict. 

I am not home in those types of configs. I hope @JadeOfMaar can take a look! It would help to have a log file to check.

Edited by damonvv

11 hours ago, Gryphorim said:

Screenshot of GameData folder? Version of KSP? Download from GitHub or SpaceDock?

I had to use some SSTU parts for this (clearly visible, and scaled rather huge to fit):

wBtfa4r.png

I was messing around with alternate BFR possibilities. A few things. You cannot put a decoupler on a middle BFS, then attach another to the side, it flips inside the center one. Seems to work on the white side, not on the TPS side (collider issue?).

Some general observations from messing around with it Sunday:

I had a lot of trouble getting the skydiver bottom fins on. One sticks on as designed, the other simply won't, even with option-clicking. I had to use your craft file, the parts alone I could not get together. Ditto the canard, one works, the other was non-trivial to attach.

The engine nodes on the bottom work, and the cargo pod nodes work, but there is no way to add additional engines to the cargo nodes. It would add parts, but instead (for future variants with vac raptors, etc), something akin to a engine plate (with different numbers of nodes) might be useful. Then people can mess with variants in an easier way. 12 engines vs 7, or whatever.

3 minutes ago, tater said:

I had to use some SSTU parts for this (clearly visible, and scaled rather huge to fit):

I had a lot of trouble getting the skydiver bottom fins on. One sticks on as designed, the other simply won't, even with option-clicking. I had to use your craft file, the parts alone I could not get together. Ditto the canard, one works, the other was non-trivial to attach.

You have to rotate the other fin/canard 180 degrees

5 hours ago, tater said:

Yeah, I got that one to work eventually. I never got the one bottom fin on, so I just loaded the craft file.

Umm, so now it's just ONE fin for the crewed BFS? Even if it was 2... How are you going to land this on only 2 landing legs?

@damonvv I wasn't able to test it yet, but I read you removed the crew hatch in the cargo bay? What bugs did it cause? I had no problems with it.