[1.12.x] Tundra Exploration - v7.0 (Nov 5th, 2023) - (Re)Stockalike SpaceX Falcon 9, (Crew) Dragon (XL) & Haven-1!

Damon

12 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

Hmm, it says I got 1.2.2, but maybe the update didn't work for me: the solar panels on my Dragon 2 cargo trunk are still blue, not black. Also, I can't find a Falcon 9 1.0 

This will be in the next update.

5 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

Hmm, it says I got 1.2.2, but maybe the update didn't work for me: the solar panels on my Dragon 2 cargo trunk are still blue, not black. Also, I can't find a Falcon 9 1.0 

Because both are still in works :P :D 

8 hours ago, KBR said:

Really nice Mod, thank you for the great work.

The earliest Version even works with the Tweakscale Mod. Have i missed something in the changelog? Thats great!

I always had some issues with the very wobbly tail fin the Starship stands on. But now, when i scale the hole starship 150% up to a 7.5m diameter, theres no wobbling at all.

Just for everyone who had the same problem ;)

Yep, I fixed the joints on the legs. I fixed it before but I noticed I never put the fix in the .zip.

I was curious if (when you're done with the stuff that you currently have on the roadmap) you'd be able to add different texture options which add the SpaceX and falcon 9 decals to the tanks and Dragons? Or maybe do an optional addon which puts them in? I personally think the decals are a huge part of the look of Falcon 9, so it would be cool to see them in the mod. 

WVWS_Falcon-9-3229-678x1017.jpg

3 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

Ooooh, I mixed up the changelog with the roadmap :D

I hope the stainless steel variant of Starship will be optional? Because I think the current texture is very pretty. Looks like an orca :)

I am not going to change the BFR untill we have new renders of the 2019 BFR. Not the starship hopper

5 hours ago, Waseemq1235 said:

I agree with the post above. 

Also, the falcon 9 has this unrealistic feeling in the main fuel tank's textures. Would love if you make it a bit more realistic looking like it's real life counterpart. 

Be aware this mod is designed to be stockalike not a perfect replica if you want that go install launchers pack.

7 hours ago, DylanSemrau said:

I was curious if (when you're done with the stuff that you currently have on the roadmap) you'd be able to add different texture options which add the SpaceX and falcon 9 decals to the tanks and Dragons? Or maybe do an optional addon which puts them in? I personally think the decals are a huge part of the look of Falcon 9, so it would be cool to see them in the mod. 

5 hours ago, Waseemq1235 said:

I agree with the post above. 

Also, the falcon 9 has this unrealistic feeling in the main fuel tank's textures. Would love if you make it a bit more realistic looking like it's real life counterpart. 

I made a stockalike version for the Falcon 9. Not my intention to make it look like the real life thing.

15 minutes ago, Natokerbal said:

Be aware this mod is designed to be stockalike not a perfect replica if you want that go install launchers pack.

But what is stockalike these days? Prior to 1.4 and Making History. This fitted perfectly into the stock parts. Now, barely anything that was used to be "stockalike" doesn't fit anymore. Squad really has gone for a more modern and whiter look. I am not sure if I should take that direction as well. Probably not any time soon. Like @Stone Blue told me the other day, KSP is changing. (Not really the direction I wanted it to go) but oh well.

And yeah for a way more realistic look I highly recommend the Launcher Pack by @Kartoffelkuchen. Those models are really nice and give you a real looking Falcon 9!

Edited by damonvv

1 minute ago, damonvv said:

But what is stockalike these days? Prior to 1.4 and Making History. This fitted perfectly into the stock parts. Now, barely anything that was used to be "stockalike" doesn't fit anymore. Squad really has gone for a more modern and whiter look. I am not sure if I should take that direction as well. Probably not any time soon. Like @Stone Blue told me the other day, KSP is changing. (Not really the direction I wanted it to go) but oh well.

And yeah for a way more realistic look I highly recommend the Launcher Pack by @Kartoffelkuchen. Those models are really nice and give you a real looking Falcon 9!

Yeah the devs switched everything to be more like real rockets which I like that they are doing that but I feel like they are ruining the comical effect ksp used to have.

Also I'm currently customizing my ksc with TSC.

14 minutes ago, Natokerbal said:

Yeah the devs switched everything to be more like real rockets which I like that they are doing that but I feel like they are ruining the comical effect ksp used to have.

Only rockets had that comical effect, spaceplanes/aircraft looked scifi by comparison.

(I should be clear that I prefer the porkjet style, I hard the garbage dump looking rockets. Expendable rockets are always brand new, and should look it. I love the part switching to reused F9 booster on this mod, so cool :D

9 hours ago, damonvv said:

I made a stockalike version for the Falcon 9. Not my intention to make it look like the real life thing.

There's one thing about KK's launcher pack -

Although it is extremely similar in look to the actual Falcon 9, it is really not well optimized for flight.

What do I mean by that? Well, you see, an example is the "vernor" thrusters on KK's falcon 9. They work on monopropellant.

You ask me, what's wrong with that?

Well.. The fuel tank in the center has barely 60 monopropellant inside of it. Nowhere near enough to land, I've tried it several times, always ended up running out of monopropellant.

Second, the gridfins.

On Tundra Exploration the Gridfins themselves turn slightly to change the course of the falcon 9.

In KK's launchers pack.. No.. It doesn't turn. They use the exact same mechanisms from the stock aerobrakes in KSP, which are pretty different to gridfins.

And then you have the dragon.

There's no functional dragon in KK's launchers pack, while in Tundra Exploration.. Well, you have a really good functioning cargo AND crew dragon, and I care a lot about this part because I love to launch resupply dragons to my orbital space station and berth them. This can't be done in KK's launchers pack, meaning, the falcon 9 is pretty much a satellite launcher.

Also, I would really love it if Tundra Exploration follows Squad's path for a more modern look.

They simply look amazing to one's eye.

Well, atleast, my eye.

Nontheless, an amazing mod this is. Thank you for bringing it back to life!

Edit: Also, KK's launcher's pack seems abandoned to me. KK has not been responding to replies and hasn't been doing anything, it's only a matter of time until a KSP update breaks the entire thing.

Edited by Waseemq1235

9 hours ago, Waseemq1235 said:

Also, I would really love it if Tundra Exploration follows Squad's path for a more modern look.

They simply look amazing to one's eye.

Well, atleast, my eye.

I will think about it! Maybe put some screenshots next week of what it would look like for the new design.

In the meantime, some more Crew Dragon pics!

lTfETXn.pngZqCtReh.pngZt9RTwo.png

1 minute ago, Marandil said:

Nice pics :)

One minor question about the Rodan pod, why does it have 5 seats in IVA, but only 4 available? Can we unlock the 5th seat somehow?

IVA is wrong. New IVA has 4 seats like the real one.

1 minute ago, Marandil said:

I was sure the real Dragon 2 had crew capacity of 7 [source], but thanks for clarification.

Yes but NASA is not going to send more than 4 at once so Crew Dragon won't have 7 seats when it flies

19 hours ago, damonvv said:

But what is stockalike these days? Prior to 1.4 and Making History. This fitted perfectly into the stock parts. NI made a stockalike version for the Falcon 9. Not my intention to make it look like the real life thing.
Now, barely anything that was used to be "stockalike" doesn't fit anymore. Squad really has gone for a more modern and whiter look. I am not sure if I should take that direction as well. Probably not any time soon. Like @Stone Blue told me the other day, KSP is changing. (Not really the direction I wanted it to go) but oh well.

I think this has really brought Restock to the fore. The change in artstyle with the new parts means the rocketry parts are even more different to the Porkjet parts 

1 hour ago, TheRedTom said:

The change in artstyle with the new parts means the rocketry parts are even more different to the Porkjet parts

Wait...What???...

you say ..."even more different to the Porkjet parts" ...

Do you mean "more like" the Porkjet Parts?
Because they *ARE/WILL BE* more like the Porkjet Parts... I'm pretty sure the team is pretty heavily refering to the Porkjet-styled aircraft/spaceplane parts for inspiration/comparison.

Quoted from Restock OP:

Create a unity of design and style for all parts: In order to minimize work we'll be targeting the revised aircraft parts, which are the largest consistent block of parts. 

Now, will they look *exactly* like the PJ-styled parts?... maybe not, but probably pretty close... and for the parts that are NOT part of what PJ designed, I think the Restock parts will be very "Pork-alike"

Also, Restock is not "just" about redoing the art style... thats what *users* mainly see and focus on...
But there are more improvements to the parts *behind the scenes* that will be done, which most people wont be seeing with their *eyes*... but they will have improved effects on/during gameplay that people might be able to detect...

Preserve the general aesthetic of KSP: We will do our best to keep the stylings of the more iconic parts while updating quality and fidelity.
Create consistency in detail level: no more 4k textures for minuscule pieces!
Minimize performance impact: use atlasing and efficient texturing to limit the need for any kind of better hardware than base KSP. 

Edited by Stone Blue