[1.12.x] Tundra Exploration - v7.0 (Nov 5th, 2023) - (Re)Stockalike SpaceX Falcon 9, (Crew) Dragon (XL) & Haven-1!

Damon

39 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

I find the integrated tweakscale config inconsistent and therefore hard to use. For pods and tanks, it gives me the diameter, which on the first glance sounds reasonable. For the fins, though, it is a percentage. And for the Raptor engines, it's the diameter again. So I have to calculate the percentage from the pod diameter, use that percentage for the fins, and calculate the new diameter for the raptor engines by using the percentage again.

I think percentage for everything (maybe except pods/tanks) would make more sense.

The Tweakscale config is consistent... For a Tweakscale config. Pods, tanks and engines, anything cylindrical (and sometimes including Mk2 which is a gray area) are always measured by their diameter. But who measures wing pieces by a bulkhead size? Stock wing boards and, unless I'm wrong, most srf-attached parts that are not cylinders are measured in percentages.

7 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

The Tweakscale config is consistent... For a Tweakscale config. Pods, tanks and engines, anything cylindrical (and sometimes including Mk2 which is a gray area) are always measured by their diameter. But who measures wing pieces by a bulkhead size? Stock wing boards and, unless I'm wrong, most srf-attached parts that are not cylinders are measured in percentages.

Yeah, but engines? The raptor is not designed to be a single engine, where bulkhead size would make sense.

11 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

where bulkhead size would make sense.

I see the grounds for your reasoning but I cannot accept it. I consider the Raptor engine for what it is and how it has been made available for use --> a single small individual engine with one nozzle. Which you then have the luxury of clustering with as many of them as you want with as much spacing between them as will fit your needs. But when you do get to the clustering, your logic breaks down. If Damon's raptor was made as a 6-in-1 or 7-in-1 (whatever combination) with a unified attach surface of x large diameter, then I would use x large diameter. If someone else wants to use this engine (as it is) differently, like put a pair on a  on a spaceplane or so on, they will come complaining to Damon and myself that the tweakscale config says it's huge when it is not.

11 minutes ago, Nigel Cardozo said:

Are there any ro configurations with anyone for this mod? Can I please have them. Thanks in advance.

I highly doubt. But as I'll tell anyone who asks for RO configs I'm gonna tell you-- you should learn to make them because it seems like there's nobody who can.

3 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

I officially revoke my opinion that a stainless steel BFR might not look good :o

I have no faith in the stainless steel thing. Yes it looks fabulous but the fires of atmospheric reentry will have a different story to tell.

5 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I highly doubt. But as I'll tell anyone who asks for RO configs I'm gonna tell you-- you should learn to make them because it seems like there's nobody who can.

@Nessus_ posted a link to his BFR RO configs under his DearMoon youtube video. Maybe he also posted some for the Falcon 9 somewhere.

Edited by infinite_monkey

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I have no faith in the stainless steel thing. Yes it looks fabulous but the fires of atmospheric reentry will have a different story to tell.

Well I hope the engineers at SpaceX know what they're doing. I guess they didn't radically change their approach just for fun, but for very good reasons (and calculations, and lots of simulations and probably tests)

6 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I have a lot of doubts about what Elon is saying... I can accept the stainless steel skin for a subsonic straight up - straight down testbed... 

But when he starts talking about the reflective properties of polished stainless steel... that's totally irrelevant when you're also covering it with heat shielding. And then he says that also means less heat shielding? Where is he thinking the heat shielding is going to go? Having an outer skin of steel makes no sense here unless they're going to be doing active cooling.

And why is nobody talking about this? (or maybe they have and I just missed it)

7 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

I have a lot of doubts about what Elon is saying... I can accept the stainless steel skin for a subsonic straight up - straight down testbed... 

But when he starts talking about the reflective properties of polished stainless steel... that's totally irrelevant when you're also covering it with heat shielding. And then he says that also means less heat shielding? Where is he thinking the heat shielding is going to go? Having an outer skin of steel makes no sense here unless they're going to be doing active cooling.

And why is nobody talking about this? (or maybe they have and I just missed it)

He did say they would use residual methane for active cooling

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Then a bare steel skin starts to make more sense. But it also makes a 2020 maiden Starship flight less likely :/ 

Edit: BTW, there's no reason at all the heat shield module can't be configured to use LqdMethane ;) 

Edited by Starwaster

14 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:
14 hours ago, Nigel Cardozo said:

Ok how do I make them? Any tutorial or something?

8 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

6 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Then a bare steel skin starts to make more sense. But it also makes a 2020 maiden Starship flight less likely :/ 

Edit: BTW, there's no reason at all the heat shield module can't be configured to use LqdMethane ;) 

Elon did state that with the SS, he doesn’t need the TPS shielding anymore. And yea active cooling is something I’d want to see in action

4 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Alright. While I don’t think I’ll be using Restock when it comes out, the art style in it is pretty neat!

I kinda like the look of it. My mod is not going to be near the quality of Restock but I hope it comes pretty close. But without Restock installed I don't think this will look off from other stock parts. The white I use is I think the same as some of the new revamped stock parts so it will fit

14 minutes ago, space_powder said:

Those are gorgeous, may I ask when they might arrive?

My current roadmap. Maybe early Feb, and yes, with a new Dragon V2 IVA. Pics about the IVA will come soon
U5zzv7F.png

Edited by damonvv

22 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

@Nessus_ posted a link to his BFR RO configs under his DearMoon youtube video. Maybe he also posted some for the Falcon 9 somewhere.

@Nigel Cardozo No, I only made RO configs for the BFR (Gojira). I always felt that the look of the Tundra Exploration parts fits more into the stock KSP world than Realism Overhaul and there already are Falcon 9 mods with RO configs (mainly Launchers Pack). That being said, the Launchers Pack isn't thaaat well maintained (and the landign legs and grid fins suck) and the Restock design by @damonvv is pretty amazing (also TE has much better plumes @JadeOfMaar ;)), I might make some RO configs for the Falcon 9 and Crew Dragon.

20 minutes ago, Sparrowhawk said:

I'm having an issue with the B5 texture decoupler/interstage for Ghidora flickering a lot. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? 

2ptcl8l.jpg

Do you have B9 installed? (Also make sure the engine doesn't have the shroud activated.

Be sure to have these mods installed as listed on the OP:

Required Mods