[1.12.x] Tundra Exploration - v7.0 (Nov 5th, 2023) - (Re)Stockalike SpaceX Falcon 9, (Crew) Dragon (XL) & Haven-1!

Damon

4 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

After hours of desperately trying to build a crane inside the cargo bay using either Infernal Robotics, Rocket Emporium or the Krane from WildBlueIndustries, failing again and again because the parts just jumped around wildly or the part intended to move stayed there mid-air, I found the culprit: it wasn't the other mods, it was the BFS pod.

@damonvv is the BFS pod modeled in some different way than, say, the tanks? I guess the problem is the curvature. I noticed that when I attach parts standing radially out to the tank below the pod (say, under the docking door), everything is fine. But if I attach that part a little bit higher, to the pod, it turns left or right. It doesn't seem to know where the surface is, or where "out" is. That is, when I attach it exactly on the center of the white part. When I attach it near the cargo door, attaching usually works. But if it is a movable part, trouble starts: inside the VAB, the part intended to move is fixed, while the part attached to the BFS moves. Or, if I attached the winch to the part while it was extended (i.e., I have an extendable boom, extended it in the VAB, then attached the winch to it), the winch hangs mid-air and the boom moves away from it. On the launch pad instead, the boom seemed to think it was already extended and moved inwards, then it noticed something is wrong and jumped back out, etc. Maybe I should make a video... Anyway, the solution is rather simple: don't attach a movable part DIRECTLY to the pod, but use some other part in between, e.g. some girder.

So I'm good to go, when can we expect the cargo pod? :D

Did you use the beta? If not, backup your save and try again. I fixed some problematic things on the BFs pod

Edited by damonvv

13 minutes ago, CocaoGames said:

Hey quick question, does anybody know of a other texture for this, i like the design but it would be nice to find one that is complety white, like spacex's rockets.

Latest version lets you choose between black and white for certain parts.

But... SpaceX Falcon 9 is no longer all white. Block 5 uses black for the legs and interstage and for what I think are systems tunnels (the tunnel that protects wiring and piping)

Just now, Starwaster said:

Latest version lets you choose between black and white for certain parts.

But... SpaceX Falcon 9 is no longer all white. Block 5 uses black for the legs and interstage and for what I think are systems tunnels (the tunnel that protects wiring and piping)

thanks, also by white i mean the white parts, not the interstage and the side lines

On 10/21/2018 at 5:33 AM, Nessus_ said:

@Miza @Starwaster I uploaded RO configs a few pages back, they're not 100% perfect yet but they give you a pretty realistic BFR and Raptor engines in RSS/RO. The BFS plumes you see on the first page are Real Plume configs by me, based on the awseome plumes by @JadeOfMaar. The stock-size plumes are already part of the TE github, you can download the RO configs with the RO-size plumes here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DGrzOa6sgHp2y2pmTUkg94H8Nr_YAWk5

Ci1Yo5c.jpg

The download doesn't work for me, it says "too many redirects".

10 hours ago, damonvv said:

Did you use the beta? If not, backup your save and try again. I fixed some problematic things on the BFs pod

With the latest version, the problem with parts not standing out at 90° seems solved, but the problem with movable parts remains. But like I said, it works if I put a rigid part in between. I was just wondering what the reason could be. Maybe it has to do with how curves are represented in your modeling program export vs. in KSP.

By the way, I noticed that on the tanker BFS, the front fins are offset - the attachment point is at the lower end of the hinge. You can see that in JadeOfMaar's picture in this post as well:

2 hours ago, eskimo22 said:

The download doesn't work for me, it says "too many redirects".

It's probably a browser issue. Safari has been known to do that or some browser plugins might cause it. Google search for too many redirects google drive

2 minutes ago, jdb326 said:

I have a feeling that I am being stupid, but I can not find the inter-stages for Falcon 9...

Go to the pod section where you find the interstage. (Because it has a probe module it's there). If you want the smaller decoupler, simply rightclick that interstage and you can change from a white interstage, black interstage or normal decoupler!

What mod is used for the engine mode switching? In previous versions, in kOS I used engine:TOGGLEMODE for switching the mode. How do I do that in the 1/3/9 configuration?

EDIT: got it. The module is called WBIMultiModeEngine. I didn't find a way to directly set a mode, but the status can be read from "current mode", and modes can be cycled through with "next engine".

Edited by infinite_monkey

2 hours ago, Sparrowhawk said:

No matter how many ways I try, Gojira II always burns up on reentry. What solution is there other than disabling reentry heating?

Are you using Deadly Reentry and/or  using a scaled up star system? Either one could be problematic as these parts aren't really configured properly for reentry. Basically it looks like they were brute forced with a maxTemp of 5000K which will protect them in  a stock reentry. However in a scaled up system, your reentry temperatures will be hotter. It's hard to say if they would be as hot as 5000K but it's possible. 

Deadly Reentry will definitely screw you over because it disallows maxTemps over 1523 by default. It automatically exempts anything configured as a heat shield as long as the shield is still intact and hasn't burnt away. Or it can be configured as a shuttle tile like system.

I'll have support in Deadly Reentry for these parts in the next update.

3 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Are you using Deadly Reentry and/or  using a scaled up star system? Either one could be problematic as these parts aren't really configured properly for reentry. Basically it looks like they were brute forced with a maxTemp of 5000K which will protect them in  a stock reentry. However in a scaled up system, your reentry temperatures will be hotter. It's hard to say if they would be as hot as 5000K but it's possible. 

Deadly Reentry will definitely screw you over because it disallows maxTemps over 1523 by default. It automatically exempts anything configured as a heat shield as long as the shield is still intact and hasn't burnt away. Or it can be configured as a shuttle tile like system.

I'll have support in Deadly Reentry for these parts in the next update.

Oh yeah, I forgot I had Deadly Reentry installed XD. Thanks for the response!

@Sparrowhawk or anyone else using Deadly Reentry:

Save this file to your DeadlyReentry folder (in GameData)

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/master/DeadlyReentry/DeadlyReentry-Tundra.cfg

It ONLY covers the BFS and not the BFB which shouldn't be an issue or any other Tundra parts. (I haven't used Tundra previously so it wasn't on my radar for DRE at the time)

It is a blanket stopgap solution and is NOT representative of how Elon says the ship will be protected, which is with ablative shielding. It also hasn't been tested with these particular parts but you should be ok if you keep to a shallow reentry.

When Deadly Reentry updates next, the file will likely be updated to something else. If @damonvv changes how the ship is protected then either I'll adjust these configs or remove them depending on what he does and how it behaves with Deadly Reentry.

50 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/master/DeadlyReentry/DeadlyReentry-Tundra.cfg

It ONLY covers the BFS and not the BFB which shouldn't be an issue or any other Tundra parts. (I haven't used Tundra previously so it wasn't on my radar for DRE at the time)

It is a blanket stopgap solution and is NOT representative of how Elon says the ship will be protected, which is with ablative shielding. It also hasn't been tested with these particular parts but you should be ok if you keep to a shallow reentry.

When Deadly Reentry updates next, the file will likely be updated to something else. If @damonvv changes how the ship is protected then either I'll adjust these configs or remove them depending on what he does and how it behaves with Deadly Reentry.

Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes later.

51 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Planning on releasing a small update tomorrow to fix some shielding on the BFS engine shroud. On github is the final version that I will likely release. So any changes that I may have made are there if you need them!

5 minutes ago, GrTaiyaki said:

Great mod!

By the way,I noticed that the Tanker BFS' wings are slightly offset

Is that a bug?

Yes! I will update github and spacedock at the same time tomorrow, that's the last change I needed to push!

27 minutes ago, eskimo22 said:

Will the BFS IVA be coming out then, or will that be later?

No sadly not. Models are mostly done, unwrapping will take some time before I can start texturing. Also I’ve been putting my mind on my launchpad mod to get an update done as well. (Adding 5 new launchpads).

LC39A/B, LC41, LC40-(new design), LC46 and LC19