[1.12.x] Tundra Exploration - v7.0 (Nov 5th, 2023) - (Re)Stockalike SpaceX Falcon 9, (Crew) Dragon (XL) & Haven-1!

Damon

7 hours ago, eskimo22 said:

I noticed that the fins produce torque in the opposite direction of what they should (If I retract the rear fins, the ship pitches down rather than up, and if I retract the front fins, the ship pitches up rather than down). The cargo pod also seems to be too short in length.

That’s not how it works on my end.. you have to enable the pitch and yaw during re-entry too tho!

cargo section too short? I made it exactly how they show it on the website. Not based on fan renders.

37 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

@damonvv I downloaded the beta and installed it, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, because all of the parts are showing up light grey instead of shiny:

Also, I noticed that it's extremely difficult to avoid flipping the SS/SH stack during launch.

You need Texture Unlimited to see the shiny parts!
Make sure the pitch/yaw is disabled on the fins during launch.

5 hours ago, damonvv said:

You need Texture Unlimited to see the shiny parts!

Do we? Cool, but I thought you decided to use the stock shader. Maybe you could make two versions, one TU and one stock.

5 hours ago, damonvv said:

Make sure the pitch/yaw is disabled on the fins during launch.

I did, it still seemed to flip...

Do the fins on the Superheavy engine cluster actually act as aerodynamic surfaces? That might help the flipping issue.

21 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Do we? Cool, but I thought you decided to use the stock shader. Maybe you could make two versions, one TU and one stock.

Do the fins on the Superheavy engine cluster actually act as aerodynamic surfaces? That might help the flipping issue.

This ship empty, yeet!

23 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Stock shader looked horrible. So I'm not going to do that. It also provides huge FPS drops as well..

23 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Fins on SH don't really do much apart from just being there to act like legs. Mine doesn't flip so I'm not sure what you are doing wrong. Keep in mind that in the first 20-30km you stay within the prograde circle. If you don't then the chance if flipping is more likely.

Hello! Made an account just to post about this. 
I've been messing around with the beta since yesterday, and I love it. It's so cool! Here's some stuff I found while playing. 

The landing legs on SS are non-functional. I have no option to deploy them at all. I don't know if they're implemented yet or not, but that's what's happening for me.

I don't know if Retractable Lifting Surfaces is required for the new SS, but it seems to function without it installed. 

I've found that, for me, it's easiest to fly SS by assigning the front and rear flaps to 2 action groups, set to Toggle Deploy. For me, that's the easiest way to keep the ship stable during landing. 

Do you need to swap the control point to the docking port during reentry? Even with the Pitch, Roll, and Yaw enabled, the flaps barely move whatsoever until I swap to control from the Docking Port. 

The flaps also like to actuate into the oncoming wind, which seems inaccurate. I believe they can only actuate to the leeward side.

I've also encountered the strange "opposite torque" thing, where the fins cause the ship to pitch in the wrong direction. This rarely happens, and when it does it only lasts for a few seconds, so it's not that big a deal for me. 

I've had no issues with SuperHeavy.

I LOVE the TU shaders. They look so good!

(Idk if this is relevant, but I've only got Tundra installed along with the dependencies + FMRS, and I've uniinstalled Retractable Lifting Surfaces. Running on KSP 1.8.1)

3 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

The TU download required for Starship's eye candy is only a few KB large. No need to sweat it. (Or am I somehow downloading the wrong TU?)

Super Heavy's fins are not working aero surfaces. Starship's fins are. Any vehicle that has most of its aero surface to the front will easily flip (like any badly designed plane or any small spaceplane mounted on a rocket, like X-20 or X-37). To counter this you should keep your AoA within the prograde marker as much as possible while in thick atmo, and learn to do your ascent turn better with such craft. Also, don't turn on the steering response in the fins, or do learn how to deal with those things bing on. Starship has not been designed nor shown with the intent to be steered like a plane. The ideal technique is to reserve an action group for the deploy of each fin, and toggle each of them as the situation calls. It may help you a lot to deploy them for ascent as when they're angled up, they drag less.

@_AstroNot_ Starship's landing legs require their own plugin which is either bundled in Tundra Exploration, or also found in Station Parts Redux. I haven't landed one so I have no further advice, sadly. Starship's fins use the stock elevon module and don't need any plugin [Retractable Lifting Surfaces] in order to work. Just action group their deploy buttons as you have done. That's the equivalent to how Starship is meant to steer.

Unfortunately I overlooked adding a control point toggle to the crew pod. Without it, you cannot change back to control from prograde once you control from the docking port. The next beta release will have that. Also the control point may be oriented funny which causes or adds to the fins' misbehavior. You also shouldn't need to use the docking port in order to control the fins in atmosphere (or at all for that matter). Everything would be wrong with that on a craft like this.

Sup guys! I am really enjoying this mod and took some screenshots : D.

rEn7whB.png

When you need to take something big, get a big payload bay :cool:.

gb7o9P9.pngStarSausage here, we are taking a sunbath :confused:

dbtm3ms.pngI wonder if this can serve as a boat :D.

kxFZRrI.pngSome say this boi is chunky, but i still love it :P.

hn5XF4R.pngWE ALL LIVE IN A STAINLESS STEEL SUBMARINE.

Edited by Munarmunar

I downloaded the stations mod and the legs work now, and also those station parts looks awesome, so I think I'll play around with them shortly.

Here's a video showing what the control surfaces do for me when I just use them with WASD. https://imgur.com/gallery/K9ONlk2

They barely move at all while controlling from the cockpit, and then when I swap to the docking port, the pitch still does practically nothing, and roll and yaw produce the same action, with one side deploying down into the wind.

I'm not a programmer of any sort, so sorry if this is naive, but would it be possible to alter the range of motion the flaps have? They stop deploying at a certain point, so could you edit that to prevent them from moving that far into the wind? 

1 hour ago, HotVector said:

Shouldn't surface TWR be higher than 1 for the second stage on launch with full tanks?

I'll need you to show me where Elon Musk says Starship can lift itself without Super Heavy. Any 3 engines (just SL or just Vac) clearly will provide 1 TWR, but of course that only applies in vacuum. Engine specs tend to be given only in Vac/not in SL.

6 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

I recommend adding an elevator in the engine section if possible like I did on mines. Makes crew surface access so much easier, as well as cargo deployment.

It's not possible. This mod is made for 2.5x and real scale where it's no longer OP. Only at stock scale can you afford to cut out lots of dV and TWR to make way for things like this. Everyone who follows Elon Musk and uses this mod is already aware of and prepared for the crew access situation. Perhaps once Starship is flight tested, we'll start to see a focus on crew access solutions (aside from the tower). Perhaps SpaceX has lots of solid ideas already but now is not the time to show those off.

f7c47206e43d.png

It's also possible that you may be using Starship far out of its scope. I see it as more of a colony ship where once it's landed (long after, and alongside one or more cargo Starships) everyone gets out and starts doing long-term stuff like base building. I get the impression you're treating it as an overblown lander can.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

12 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

The TU download required for Starship's eye candy is only a few KB large. No need to sweat it. (Or am I somehow downloading the wrong TU?)

Could you possibly direct me to that download? I've never used TU before so I don't really know what I'm doing - when I installed TU all of the Starship parts were a shiny black instead of silver.