[1.12.x] Tundra Exploration - v7.0 (Nov 5th, 2023) - (Re)Stockalike SpaceX Falcon 9, (Crew) Dragon (XL) & Haven-1!

Damon

3 minutes ago, Karin said:

I had this some time ago, IIRC if you go to Gamedata/Squad/PartList you will find a file for each duplicate category, just delete them. My folder only has a readme and a SimpleIcons folder for reference.

I had difficoulties to find where the "custom categories" were saved (now I got it, and I'm more than capable to keep any problem in check, changing the PartCategories.cfg file).

The overall issue is that, even if I can now do that, each time the game is loaded, with one of those "custom partlist" file hidden here or there in any mod, the issue is still repeating.

I commend the effort of any modders that want to make easier to reach their own parts, and just asking if there could be a "workaround" to avoid a bug (ModuleManger-style of coding???): it took a good hour to hunt down each mod that showed this behaviour, just to find the culprit file (often not named in the same way/placed in a clear position) and delete and/or just manually copy in my own PartCategories.cfg, if I liked it.

I did not want to sound irrispectful (I love all the modders for their efforts to make KSP a GREAT game)...
... just guessing if it is possible to add a more "user friendly" approach to the custom part list, as it is very useful for any end user player (if managed locally by each one, with their own categories), but shows a bit of a problem when interacted by external files.

Hi here...

I'm appearing again to advice, probably, about a B9PartSwitch problem:

when using SNACKS and B9PartSwitch MM patches (both "Extra_B9TankTypes.cfg" and "Extra_B9Tanks.cfg"), I found my game throwing  a fatal error by B9PartSwitch itself, prompting me to close the game once in KSP main starting menu.

It took a while to, in the end, narrow it to a specific part of coding, inside "Extra_B9Tanks.cfg":

in the definitions related to the Commodity tanks, every SUBTYPE related to Snacks itself has "SUBTYPE:NEEDS[Snacks]", but it should be "SUBTYPE:NEEDS[SnacksUtils]"

EDIT:

NOPE!
That could be an issue, eventually, but the game is still throwing the same errors, even trying my modification.
(I have  errors related to all the parts trying to interact with "Extra_B9TankTypes" searching for the "tundraSupplySnacks" subtype)

[LOG 20:40:04.659] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'TE2.19.SH.Interstage'
[LOG 20:40:04.733] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'TundraExploration/Parts/GOJIRAIII/TE2_19_SH_Tank/TE2_19_SH_Tank'
[LOG 20:40:04.806] PartLoader: Part 'TundraExploration/Parts/GOJIRAIII/TE2_19_SH_Tank/TE2_19_SH_Tank' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 20:40:04.807] [DragCubeSystem]: Drag cubes not found or cannot be read for part Part. Generating New drag cubes.
[LOG 20:40:04.810] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'TE2.19.SH.Tank'
[LOG 20:40:04.873] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'TundraExploration/Parts/GOJIRAIII/TE2_19_SS_AFT/TE2_19_SS_AFT'
[WRN 20:40:04.918] [Part]: Cannot have ModuleCargoPart and ModuleInventoryPart on same Part [TE2.19.SS.AFT'. Removed ModuleCargoPart
[LOG 20:40:04.947] PartLoader: Part 'TundraExploration/Parts/GOJIRAIII/TE2_19_SS_AFT/TE2_19_SS_AFT' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 20:40:04.947] [DragCubeSystem]: Drag cubes not found or cannot be read for part Part. Generating New drag cubes.
[LOG 20:40:04.950] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'TE2.19.SS.AFT'
[LOG 20:40:05.019] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'TundraExploration/Parts/GOJIRAIII/TE2_19_SS_CARGO/TE2_19_SS_CARGO'
[LOG 20:40:05.418] PartLoader: Part 'TundraExploration/Parts/GOJIRAIII/TE2_19_SS_CARGO/TE2_19_SS_CARGO' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 20:40:05.418] [DragCubeSystem]: Drag cubes not found or cannot be read for part Part. Generating New drag cubes.
[LOG 20:40:05.425] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'TE2.19.SS.CARGO'
[LOG 20:40:05.523] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'TundraExploration/Parts/GOJIRAIII/TE2_19_SS_Crew_Pod/TE2_19_SS_Crew_Pod'
[WRN 20:40:05.893] [Part]: Cannot have ModuleCargoPart and ModuleInventoryPart on same Part [TE2.19.SS.Crew.Pod'. Removed ModuleCargoPart
[ERR 20:40:05.895] Module ModuleB9PartSwitch threw during OnLoad: System.Exception: Fatal exception while loading fields on module ModuleB9PartSwitch on part  ---> System.Exception: Exception while loading field subtypes on type B9PartSwitch.ModuleB9PartSwitch ---> System.Exception: Exception while loading fields on subtype PartSubtype tundraSupplySnacks ---> System.Exception: Exception while loading field tankType on type B9PartSwitch.PartSubtype ---> System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: No tank type named 'tundraSupplySnacks' exists

... and I HAVE the B9 tank definitions in GameData.

Edited by Araym

19 hours ago, Araym said:

Hi here...

I'm appearing again to advice, probably, about a B9PartSwitch problem:

when using SNACKS and B9PartSwitch MM patches (both "Extra_B9TankTypes.cfg" and "Extra_B9Tanks.cfg"), I found my game throwing  a fatal error by B9PartSwitch itself, prompting me to close the game once in KSP main starting menu.

It took a while to, in the end, narrow it to a specific part of coding, inside "Extra_B9Tanks.cfg":

in the definitions related to the Commodity tanks, every SUBTYPE related to Snacks itself has "SUBTYPE:NEEDS[Snacks]", but it should be "SUBTYPE:NEEDS[SnacksUtils]"

EDIT:

NOPE!
That could be an issue, eventually, but the game is still throwing the same errors, even trying my modification.
(I have  errors related to all the parts trying to interact with "Extra_B9TankTypes" searching for the "tundraSupplySnacks" subtype)

[LOG 20:40:04.659] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'TE2.19.SH.Interstage'
[LOG 20:40:04.733] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'TundraExploration/Parts/GOJIRAIII/TE2_19_SH_Tank/TE2_19_SH_Tank'
[LOG 20:40:04.806] PartLoader: Part 'TundraExploration/Parts/GOJIRAIII/TE2_19_SH_Tank/TE2_19_SH_Tank' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 20:40:04.807] [DragCubeSystem]: Drag cubes not found or cannot be read for part Part. Generating New drag cubes.
[LOG 20:40:04.810] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'TE2.19.SH.Tank'
[LOG 20:40:04.873] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'TundraExploration/Parts/GOJIRAIII/TE2_19_SS_AFT/TE2_19_SS_AFT'
[WRN 20:40:04.918] [Part]: Cannot have ModuleCargoPart and ModuleInventoryPart on same Part [TE2.19.SS.AFT'. Removed ModuleCargoPart
[LOG 20:40:04.947] PartLoader: Part 'TundraExploration/Parts/GOJIRAIII/TE2_19_SS_AFT/TE2_19_SS_AFT' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 20:40:04.947] [DragCubeSystem]: Drag cubes not found or cannot be read for part Part. Generating New drag cubes.
[LOG 20:40:04.950] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'TE2.19.SS.AFT'
[LOG 20:40:05.019] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'TundraExploration/Parts/GOJIRAIII/TE2_19_SS_CARGO/TE2_19_SS_CARGO'
[LOG 20:40:05.418] PartLoader: Part 'TundraExploration/Parts/GOJIRAIII/TE2_19_SS_CARGO/TE2_19_SS_CARGO' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 20:40:05.418] [DragCubeSystem]: Drag cubes not found or cannot be read for part Part. Generating New drag cubes.
[LOG 20:40:05.425] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'TE2.19.SS.CARGO'
[LOG 20:40:05.523] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'TundraExploration/Parts/GOJIRAIII/TE2_19_SS_Crew_Pod/TE2_19_SS_Crew_Pod'
[WRN 20:40:05.893] [Part]: Cannot have ModuleCargoPart and ModuleInventoryPart on same Part [TE2.19.SS.Crew.Pod'. Removed ModuleCargoPart
[ERR 20:40:05.895] Module ModuleB9PartSwitch threw during OnLoad: System.Exception: Fatal exception while loading fields on module ModuleB9PartSwitch on part  ---> System.Exception: Exception while loading field subtypes on type B9PartSwitch.ModuleB9PartSwitch ---> System.Exception: Exception while loading fields on subtype PartSubtype tundraSupplySnacks ---> System.Exception: Exception while loading field tankType on type B9PartSwitch.PartSubtype ---> System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: No tank type named 'tundraSupplySnacks' exists

... and I HAVE the B9 tank definitions in GameData.

Update:

In the end, with the original patches provided, I could not resolve the issue.

Knowing that I'm playing with SNACKS and B9PartSwitch, I simply moved the "Extra_B9TankTypes.cfg" in an external directory (to find it easily, in case) simplyfing it only to the mod I know I'm using (so no Kerbalism, USILifeSupport or TACLifeSupport), and making a "nuked version", removing the various ":NEEDS[....]" in it (to have them loaded always, to avoid any issue), then also simplyfing the ":NEEDS" in the "Extra_B9Tank.cfg" file (also moved in the same external directory).

That resolved it (for the moment)

10 hours ago, xD-FireStriker said:

Do you plan to model the Crew Dragon Cupola from the Inspiration 4 launch?

Planned!

On 9/13/2021 at 4:11 PM, Araym said:

Update:

In the end, with the original patches provided, I could not resolve the issue.

Knowing that I'm playing with SNACKS and B9PartSwitch, I simply moved the "Extra_B9TankTypes.cfg" in an external directory (to find it easily, in case) simplyfing it only to the mod I know I'm using (so no Kerbalism, USILifeSupport or TACLifeSupport), and making a "nuked version", removing the various ":NEEDS[....]" in it (to have them loaded always, to avoid any issue), then also simplyfing the ":NEEDS" in the "Extra_B9Tank.cfg" file (also moved in the same external directory).

That resolved it (for the moment)

@JadeOfMaar could you check this?

6 hours ago, damonvv said:

@JadeOfMaar could you check this?

If any it's needed any "help", do not worry: call me also in PM to try to figure "what happened" to me.

Some "facts" about the problem I noticed, and "how/where/why" in my install:

1. I play win an heavy, modded, enviroment: having both Pathfinder, Snacks and B9PartSwitch, i personally "preferred" to have the tanks set following B9PartSwitch than Patfinder, so initially I removed the patch for Pathfinder itself and "deleted" the checks for it in the B9Partswitch tanks patch (because with it, even without the patch for Pathfinder, the B9 one was not loading): it  started to throw the above mentioned error once, finally, it started to be seen by ModuleManager
  2. I moved to a clean install (without pathfinder at all), only with Snacks and B9Partswitch, but it also didn't work...
  3. I noticed the ":NEEDS[Snacks]" error (... it should be ":NEEDS[SnacksUtils]", so I corrected that too: the error didn't disappear...
  4. ...
  5. ... In the end, I basically "rewrote" all the patches, removing A LOT of various ":NEEDS" to a bare minimum (basically just a check between having or not B9Partswitch and/or the various Snacks/SncacksFreshAir/SnacksStress) knowing that I'm not going to play with a lot of the mods placed in the various checks (TacLS/USILS/etc etc) and, somehow, it started to work on my end

In the end, I think that the problem is somewhere in the B9Tank patch, but I didn't figured "where", as basically, aside removing the (too many) :NEEDS, I basically copied it... so it should be some weird interaction at that level

14 hours ago, FlybeachYon2021 said:

make rodan cupola update for 1.12.x?

Planned!

On 9/17/2021 at 8:48 PM, Spike88 said:

What's the best way to do a boost back in a 2.5x scale system? Also what's the best launch profile?

I usually keep 1800m/s in the first stage for my RTLS landing. You can do it with much less but I like manual landings! Then just aim with the trajectories mod and boom!

3 hours ago, damonvv said:

I usually keep 1800m/s in the first stage for my RTLS landing. You can do it with much less but I like manual landings! Then just aim with the trajectories mod and boom!

1800m/s before or after separation? I noticed the delta v jumps post separation(obviously because it’s not carrying the first stage anymore), and roughly what height should this be at in a 2.5x system? 

2 hours ago, Spike88 said:

1800m/s before or after separation? I noticed the delta v jumps post separation(obviously because it’s not carrying the first stage anymore), and roughly what height should this be at in a 2.5x system? 

Usually for me it's at 30 kilometers and then the periapsis is at ~50 kilometers 

15 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Usually for me it's at 30 kilometers and then the periapsis is at ~50 kilometers 

Alright, that’s about what I was getting so I wasn’t sure if I was doing something wrong. I’ve seen several info graphics for the real space x rocket that has the boost back taking place past the Karman line, so I was concerned I wasn’t anywhere near high enough 

1 minute ago, Spike88 said:

Alright, that’s about what I was getting so I wasn’t sure if I was doing something wrong. I’ve seen several info graphics for the real space x rocket that has the boost back taking place past the Karman line, so I was concerned I wasn’t anywhere near high enough 

Honestly this mod doesn’t work at all in 2.5x scale. The rockets get up to a 100k orbit with less than a 100m/s of dv left. Even without a payload

6 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Honestly this mod doesn’t work at all in 2.5x scale. The rockets get up to a 100k orbit with less than a 100m/s of dv left. Even without a payload

I’m on mobile so I can’t use the “search in this topic” feature, but I could swear @damonvv said it was balanced to a 2.5x system like the stock parts.

I think I will look at tweaking the fuel numbers in the Configs for a higher boost back altitude. 

1 hour ago, Spike88 said:

I’m on mobile so I can’t use the “search in this topic” feature, but I could swear @damonvv said it was balanced to a 2.5x system like the stock parts.

I think I will look at tweaking the fuel numbers in the Configs for a higher boost back altitude. 

The mod is balanced to work in 2.7x scale.

Meanwhile, @SofieBrink has found some major weight problems with some of the parts. We will investigate those and hopefully get a better performing rocket!

39 minutes ago, VASMIR said:

Any advice on flying Falcon 9 or Starship in 2.5X scale mods like JNSQ?

JNSQ is 2.7x scale, what I asked about 2.5x scale should apply to JNSQ.

13 minutes ago, damonvv said:

Meanwhile, @SofieBrink has found some major weight problems with some of the parts. We will investigate those and hopefully get a better performing rocket!

If there’s anything I can do to help, let me know.

Also my solution is always to add more fuel, never thought about checking the weight lol. 

4 hours ago, Spike88 said:

Lol, if my falcon heavy flying without a payload is getting to Leo with less than a 100m/s of delta v left then this mod is definitely wonky

1 hour ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Lol, if my falcon heavy flying without a payload is getting to Leo with less than a 100m/s of delta v left then this mod is definitely wonky

That’s quite odd. My Falcon Heavy can easily send the included Crew Dragon or Dragon XL translunar, and the normal F9 can put ~15 tons into LKO, or an entire Cygnus (by Beale with some life support canisters clipped in) to TMI.

You’re right that RTLS F9 doesn’t have a lot of capacity- about 5 to 6 tons in my experience. But if you expend the booster or even do ASDS landing, you can double or triple that. Important for FH- don’t attempt to RTLS the center booster, it will go badly.

This doesn’t seem like flight profile issues by a large margin though, something is probably broken with the dry masses.