[1.12.x] Tundra Exploration - v7.0 (Nov 5th, 2023) - (Re)Stockalike SpaceX Falcon 9, (Crew) Dragon (XL) & Haven-1!

Damon

My apologies if this has already been answered but I can't seem to find one. I've been using the Falcon 9 lately for cargo missions and satellite launches, but when I stage the fairings the parachutes cannot open because they are "stowed." Is there any way to fix this issue so the parachutes can open for fairing recovery?

Just now, Elro2k said:

Is there any way to fix this issue so the parachutes can open for fairing recovery?

Quicksave and quickload before trying to stage them. That will cause KSP to notice that they're no longer shielded.

Unfortunately Tundra has to abuse the cargo shielding module as it wasn't designed to be used by non-procedural fairings like these, so when the fairing eject, the cargo shielding remains until you do a scene change. The shielded parts haven't moved so KSP doesn't assume or realize they should no longer be shielded.

21 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Quicksave and quickload before trying to stage them. That will cause KSP to notice that they're no longer shielded.

Unfortunately Tundra has to abuse the cargo shielding module as it wasn't designed to be used by non-procedural fairings like these, so when the fairing eject, the cargo shielding remains until you do a scene change. The shielded parts haven't moved so KSP doesn't assume or realize they should no longer be shielded.

Wait, does that mean the parts are still protected from aeroforces and heat?

@AlphaMensae Oooooh pipes :wub:

32 minutes ago, TomfooleryYT said:

Can anyone explain why this is suddenly happening? I've done dozens of spacex style landings and they're kinda the cornerstone of my career playthrough, but now this weird aerodynamic glitch is happening and I can't figure out why. any help here?

Are you sure it's not from the fins/aerobrakes/whatever this is? I had similar issues with the fins in the Sounding Rockets mod.

EDIT: watched the video again, the spinning clearly starts when you deploy the brakes

Edited by infinite_monkey

43 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

Did you try with the grid fins from KRE? And are you using the latest version of TE? Apparently there was a bug in an older version that caused spinning boosters.

I'm trying it with the grid fins now and I seem to be hovering above the surface of kerbin, working on getting a video now. And, Yes, I'm using v 2.1.0.

Those aerobrake parts belong to b9 aerospace and I haven't had an update to them since april. so I don't think that's the cause. The Grid fin parts from KRE seem to work fine, except they don't slow the booster down enough, unlike the aerobrakes. I'll give it a test with the stock aerobrakes and report back.

Something that bugs me about the cargo Gojira: In addition to the cargo bay not taking up the entire length of the cargo pod, the adapter cone is very high. As a result, the Ghidorah can transport longer payloads than the Gohira.

A very minor issue: I noticed that the Gojira's cargo adapter is not horizontal, but slightly tilted towards the back. If anything, shouldnt't it be tilted towards the front?

I've been trying to think of a good way to make Starship in this actually viable for landing cargo. The aft containers don't give a whole lot of room for packing in base parts (so no KIS base assembly, unless you're using inflatables ala WBI Pathfinder), however the cargo nose cone isn't great for landing stuff on the surface because of the way how it opens - you'd either need a crane or to release the payload mid-air in some sort of hairbrained air-drop maneuver which, unfortunately, lead to me losing more than a few starships.

I thought of trying to use regular stock fairings, now that they've gotten the metal texture, however that means that it's a one-time-use deal.

Perhaps in a future update, we could have something like this?
SpaceX offering Starship to NASA for lunar landing missions – Spaceflight  Now

Some kind of side-opening cargo bay - elevator optional. That way, it can be used for what Starship is really intended for: building colonies. Right now, Tundra Exploration Starships work well as orbital payload launchers, and fairly decently as crew transports, but in terms of surface operations they're really limited to what you can fit in the 3 aft containers.

9 hours ago, Raptor22 said:

Some kind of side-opening cargo bay - elevator optional. That way, it can be used for what Starship is really intended for: building colonies. Right now, Tundra Exploration Starships work well as orbital payload launchers, and fairly decently as crew transports, but in terms of surface operations they're really limited to what you can fit in the 3 aft containers.

I kept asking this for a long time, but as the concepts keep changing, the mod understandably can't change with them all the time. However, this would be nice for playability. And it seems doable, there's already a mod by @Gabu with a very similar elevator - maybe he can help?

66HS1dS.png

An idea would be to make a seperate elevator part that attaches to the node under the docking hatch (currently only the crewed version has that, for whatever reason) and adds rails that go all the way down. This could even be a separate mod.

Coming back to this after a long while -- are there RO/RP1 configs for the newest iteration of the Starship analog in this mod? Last I checked it was a "Soon(tm)" kinda thing but that was a while back.

Edited by sjsharks39

• 2 weeks later...

Elon teased a Starship update on the SpaceX website recently, and now that we have a full-scale Starship (prototype), will the Starship in this mod be updated accordingly?

Also, are we getting new RO configs anytime soon?

Edited by SpeedShot7

3 hours ago, T-20000 said:

It's not working at all, even I added required mods! Any instructions?

@T-20000, To provide support on why the installation did not work for you, it would be helpful if you could link to a copy of your log file and take a screenshot of your gamedata folder.