[1.12.x] Tundra Exploration - v7.0 (Nov 5th, 2023) - (Re)Stockalike SpaceX Falcon 9, (Crew) Dragon (XL) & Haven-1!

Damon

I'm having trouble with the Gojira decoupler. If I'm building a BFR, it doesn't show up in the stage list. If I load the provided BFS-Gojira instead, it shows up. Also, crossfeed is enabled by default. Is that intentional?

As for the provided Falcon Heavy: the booster decoupler doesn't even show up in staging, I can only decouple the whole lower part.

Is there a reason why the central booster has white grid fins, while the side boosters have the black, heat-resistant "Nemesis" fins? Shouldn't it, if anything, be the other way around?

Another question: How are the BFS engines meant to be used? All/central only like on the booster engines? Wouldn't it be better to make them a single part, then? Since the RU-1K has no gimbal, I don't think it makes sense using it as the only engine.

I noticed my github has older files in them than my current test save, I’ll update it tonight including some of the bugs with gojira and the GH decoupler.

(Still new to GitHub so excuse me for the first few beta tests :) )

Edited by damonvv

New beta up! (1.1.1.2)

- Added more colliders to FH decoupler for easier use
- Fixed offset on FH decoupler
- Fixed no staging on FH decoupler
- Fixed BFR docking port staging
- Internal changes to the interstage
- Fixed part icon not showing up for the Ghidorah interstage

Known bugs:

- More Smokescreen/Realplume support

Please when giving me bug reports or feedback, be specific. Try to explain what you were trying to do and what I can do to improve things where needed.

Mods needed for Tundra Exploration to work are:
B9 Part Switch
Near Future Solar
Kerbal Reusability Expansion

Edited by damonvv

18 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

Is there a reason why the central booster has white grid fins, while the side boosters have the black, heat-resistant "Nemesis" fins? Shouldn't it, if anything, be the other way around?

Another question: How are the BFS engines meant to be used? All/central only like on the booster engines? Wouldn't it be better to make them a single part, then? Since the RU-1K has no gimbal, I don't think it makes sense using it as the only engine.

I don't know if you watched the Falcon Heavy launch, but this is the same configuration as the real one.

The real BFR only uses the sealevel engines on landing, the VAC engines are used to get to the Moon or Mars, no need to have gimbals on them because you would be facing the right way anyway when you burn them to get the right orbit.

Edited by damonvv

25 minutes ago, damonvv said:

New beta up! (1.1.1.2)

- Added more colliders to FH decoupler for easier use
- Fixed offset on FH decoupler
- Fixed no staging on FH decoupler
- Internal changes to the interstage
- Fixed part icon not showing up for the Ghidorah interstage

Known bugs:

- More Smokescreen/Realplume support

Please when giving me bug reports or feedback, be specific. Try to explain what you were trying to do and what I can do to improve things where needed.

Mods needed for Tundra Exploration to work are:
B9 Part Switch
Near Future Solar
Kerbal Reusability Expansion

Does this work in 1.3.1?

Just now, notJebKerman said:

Does this work in 1.3.1?

Yes, but this is an update that will definitely break any old craft that uses my parts because I renamed all of them. So if you put this in your own 1.3.1 save, please recover everything before you do a clean install :) 

2 hours ago, damonvv said:

I don't know if you watched the Falcon Heavy launch, but this is the same configuration as the real one.

The real BFR only uses the sealevel engines on landing, the VAC engines are used to get to the Moon or Mars, no need to have gimbals on them because you would be facing the right way anyway when you burn them to get the right orbit.

Yeah I've seen a video of it today and noticed it's the same setup. I just wondered because the center booster should come in at a much higher speed than the outer ones.

So for the BFS it's either VAC or ASL engines? In the old version it tended to go off course when using just the VAC engines, but I was using a different pod then.

I still have trouble figuring out how the decoupler for the BFS works. There is a decoupling stage in the sample Gojira, but when building it myself, it's not there... Thanks for the antenna, it's working now :)

I played around with the Ghidorah parts. A minor glitch I already noticed before: the flag is hovering slightly above the tank's surface. And I find it hard to attach the WK-4 solar array to the correct position. It looks you adjusted it manually in the provided Ghidorah + Gigan? When trying that rocket, the solar array got blown away together with the UD-7 cover :D . And I needed some time to figure out that the SRC-9 has an integrated decoupler. Maybe you should write in the description how this works.

Oh, and I'm not sure if RCS is affected by RealPlume, but RCS could need some tweaks on the Gigan pod, especially forward RCS.

Edited by infinite_monkey

Tundra Exploration: Ghidorah Heavy
A massive thank you to all of you helping out with the beta tests, really helped getting most of the annoying bugs before release! Thank you @sarbian for making a small plugin to make Gojira an even better rocket and @DiscoSlelge for making this amazing Ghidorah Heavy patch!

New in this update:

- ***CLEAN INSTALL - THIS UPDATE IS CRAFT BREAKING!***
- Updated for KSP 1.4.1
- Updated craft files
- Fixed RCS on Rodan
- Docking hatch moved from 95 degrees to 110
- Added antenna on Gigan pod and Gojiras first stage probe
- Added Falcon Heavy side decouplers (use action groups to decouple and animate the arms)
- Combined interstage with normal decoupler (use B9 part switch)
- Removed satellite parts (Moved to Tundra Technologies)
- Fixed RealPlume and SmokeScreen patches (Thank you @macktruck6666)
- New Ghidorah 9 Block 5 textures

Download here.

Happy launches!

Edited by damonvv

Just now, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

Are you going to switch over to the new stock texture/mesh switch?

Is there even any good documentation on it currently

Nope! I stay with B9 as I have more plans with it, and it's way more advanced than the stock version.

Just now, DracoSilverpath said:

Soo...seeing as NF Solar is not updated yet to 1.4.1, are the solars in this not usable until then? Forgive me if this is a silly question :wink:

NFS plugin that comes with TE will work. I believe Nertea will update it soon so the version checker will tell you when that gets an update. But for now the 1.3.1 version does work!

Just a question: is anyone able slowing down the Gojira booster significantly with the grid fins? They work fine for the Ghidorah, but have little effect for the Gojira - I find it nearly impossible to do a hoverslam with that one, especially using the center engines only. Seems to be too massive for that.

Just now, infinite_monkey said:

Just a question: is anyone able slowing down the Gojira booster significantly with the grid fins? They work fine for the Ghidorah, but have little effect for the Gojira - I find it nearly impossible to do a hoverslam with that one, especially using the center engines only. Seems to be too massive for that.

Yes, I've noticed the change too since 1.4.1, if I remember correctly I think @EmbersArc was aware of the issue. If not, I hope he knows now :) 

Yes he reduced drag. I just wasn't sure if drag was too low or mass was too high :wink: 

On what basis did you define the parts' mass? When comparing Ghidorah's parts with Gojira's, I noticed that while the tanks have a ratio of about 1:6, it's 1:11 for the engines, and more than 1:30 for the pod.

1 hour ago, Modding Maniac said:

none of the parts appear in game, how do i install them correctly

Make sure the folder in your GameData folder is the TundraExploration folder and not Tundra-ExplorationV1.1.1 or something like that. I know personally I've done that probably twice this week.

Well you know when I ran CKAN today and there where about 7 Mods updating I told myself to backup my save file before launching but then didnt.  Shame on me, any reason why you removed multiple parts from this mod?  I just lost the entire folder for:  PROBES and ITS on this patch.  

14 minutes ago, talon_65 said:

Well you know when I ran CKAN today and there where about 7 Mods updating I told myself to backup my save file before launching but then didnt.  Shame on me, any reason why you removed multiple parts from this mod?  I just lost the entire folder for:  PROBES and ITS on this patch.  

It’s in the release notes. I don’t support CKAN myself so if there are problems with it, you should ask them.

I dont think there is a problem with CKAN.  There is a problem with my inability to read patch notes before hand.  I would however recommend that if you are going to move parts that are game breaking into another MOD then why not have that mod ready for release prior to moving them.  Just a thought I am very appreciative of what you have created here and enjoy it greatly.  Thank You.

1 minute ago, talon_65 said:

I dont think there is a problem with CKAN.  There is a problem with my inability to read patch notes before hand.  I would however recommend that if you are going to move parts that are game breaking into another MOD then why not have that mod ready for release prior to moving them.  Just a thought I am very appreciative of what you have created here and enjoy it greatly.  Thank You.

You’re right, I haven’t talked much about the satellite parts. They will all they an overhaul, and also getting renamed so they will break your crafts regardless. They are almost finished and will be released this week, but I couldn’t wait any longer to release Tundra Exploration for 1.4.1.