[1.12.x] Tundra Exploration - v7.0 (Nov 5th, 2023) - (Re)Stockalike SpaceX Falcon 9, (Crew) Dragon (XL) & Haven-1!

Damon

46 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

@damonvv I just stumbled over @Alcentar's BFR mod, it looks very nice. I especially like the following things:

• vacuum engines can gimbal, like in real life; my BFS keeps oscillating, maybe my cargo's center of mass is not perfectly aligned. I think gimballing could help.
  • the ladder for the crew hatch is a nice idea; are there any mods that could add such a long extendable ladder to my BFS?
  • I love the crewed BFS's payload bay! I already wanted to ask if you could add some cargo space in the BFS. With a cargo bay, a standard 5m Kontainer Tank could be popped right in - there would be clipping, though, so one more reason to scale the BFR up by 15 or 20% :D So one can choose between some tank, a KIS container or a nice little rover
  • the rear wall of the cargo pod is flat; in your BFS, there is that attachment cone, which often is exactly the little bit more of space I'd need (of course, cargo will always be too big :blush:)

- I wasn't aware the real BFS could gimbal with the vacuum engines, as I didn't see the point in that. But I will likely add it.
- No ladder on my version as I'm not making one big part.
- YES! I am planning on making a little cargo bay style to fit some KAS/KIS storage. (Although rovers in KSP are WAY too big and will never fit nicely. But I know @Katten got a cute rover to spare :) )
- My new model has a bit more room, but design wise the real BFS also have an adapter inside the cargo pod.

Edited by damonvv

Yay, thanks for your answers :)

Yeah, I already imagined there won't be a ladder included in your mod, I just wondered if I could build one using other mods ;)

I agree that most rovers are way too big :/ On the other hand, they need to be big, since Kerbals wear huge helmets ;) Which rover do you mean? Something in Rocket Emporium?

Edited by infinite_monkey

52 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

Yay, thanks for your answers :)

Yeah, I already imagined there won't be a ladder included in your mod, I just wondered if I could build one using other mods ;)

I agree that most rovers are way too big :/ On the other hand, they need to be big, since Kerbals wear huge helmets ;) Which rover do you mean? Something in Rocket Emporium?

Yeah, he made a tiny rover the other day, looked perfect to fit in such storage rooms.

I like the Tundra textures. BFR shape could be a little bit different (curvature should start higher up), and the Dragon capsule would need an update (less edgy), but all in all i like it very much, and it fits perfectly into the game.

BTW, I found a ladder for the BFS: In Lithobrake Exploration Technologies, there are expandable ladders. Two 8m ladders combined fit perfectly. I clipped them a little bit inside the ship and extend them via an action group.

3 minutes ago, space_powder said:

That is so damn beautiful, I wonder where the probe core for the booster is though

Also it seems that the plume (using RealPlume) for the three engine burn on F9 doesn't exist, will this be fixed in the next update?

Everything on github shouldn't be taken seriously as I just randomly put unfinished stuff there for some friends to test. But ofcourse it will have plumes

So I started my SpaceX style Minmus base (Duna and Ranger modules from USI-MKS). Hacked the BFS config file by adding 20000 l of KIS space and added some habitation time. Also edited the solar panel config so it can survive the reentry heat for Kerbin reentry and later Duna missions.

I needed to enable the "no crash damage" cheat, since KAS tends to hurl stuff through the air...

Unloading cargo:

XShRxMs.jpg

Unload Duna modules - I had a pretty hard time building the crane and move stuff around with it without stuff exploding or jumping around like crazy:

3vZBbgz.jpg

Starts looking a bit like the bases in the SpaceX presentation...:

YHwC70k.jpg

8 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

So I started my SpaceX style Minmus base (Duna and Ranger modules from USI-MKS). Hacked the BFS config file by adding 20000 l of KIS space and added some habitation time. Also edited the solar panel config so it can survive the reentry heat for Kerbin reentry and later Duna missions.

I needed to enable the "no crash damage" cheat, since KAS tends to hurl stuff through the air...

Unloading cargo:

Unload Duna modules - I had a pretty hard time building the crane and move stuff around with it without stuff exploding or jumping around like crazy

Starts looking a bit like the bases in the SpaceX presentation...:

Amazing! Can’t wait what more you can do with the new storage room in the upcoming update &) (somewhere september as I took a break because of the heat and going on holiday soon)

Edited by damonvv

14 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

Nice :) Launch Tower? :wub:

Oh, so there'll be another version before the BFS revamp? May I just suggest that you integrate an antenna in the crewed BFS in 1.1.4 already? ;)

It doesn’t have one?! Oops, will fix that!

I currently have Tundra Exploration AND Technologies installed together. Is that bad? Should I only have on or the other?

Why are they in blue font in KSP-AVC?.....that is the bit that is causing my panic...they are the only "blue" things on my mods list on KSP-AVC.....

1 minute ago, JoE Smash said:

I currently have Tundra Exploration AND Technologies installed together. Is that bad? Should I only have on or the other?

Why are they in blue font in KSP-AVC?.....that is the bit that is causing my panic...they are the only "blue" things on my mods list on KSP-AVC.....

The blue is pure cosmetic, I like putting the smallest detail, even on the version checker! And yes, all good with having both installed! They originally belong together but I will revamp Tundra Technologies in the near future so I started with putting the SpaceX related parts in TE and all the other in TT.

3 minutes ago, damonvv said:

The blue is pure cosmetic, I like putting the smallest detail, even on the version checker! And yes, all good with having both installed! They originally belong together but I will revamp Tundra Technologies in the near future so I started with putting the SpaceX related parts in TE and all the other in TT.

Thank you very much for the quick reply m8!

Now if I only could get the Kopernicus guy to answer my question about getting the latest Kopernicus on CKAN that I asked like an hour ago.....without angering him somehow

Edited by JoE Smash

2 minutes ago, JoE Smash said:

Thank you very much for the quick reply m8!

Now if I only could get the Kopernicus guy to answer my question about getting the latest Kopernicus on CKAN that I asked like an hour ago.....without angering him somehow

My parrot told me that you have to wait on CKAN. It's just that CKAN is a machine, and machines have their work cycles and their rest cycles. CKAN is not one that's looking every second for work to do.