[1.12.x] Tundra Exploration - v7.0 (Nov 5th, 2023) - (Re)Stockalike SpaceX Falcon 9, (Crew) Dragon (XL) & Haven-1!

Damon

Just now, Starslinger999 said:

Is there any chance that you have files of the old Ghidora 9 fairings that use the stock system and are not pre-set? If so, do you mind sharing them so we can use them if we want to use them?

I never had a fairing outside the one I have now. But if you mean the .craft file that comes with the stock fairing I can happily put those up!

5 minutes ago, damonvv said:

I never had a fairing outside the one I have now. But if you mean the .craft file that comes with the stock fairing I can happily put those up!

I could have sworn I remember stock fairings with the Tundra logo or something...  Probs imagination or something lol.

Edited by Starslinger999

2 minutes ago, Starslinger999 said:

I could have sworn I remember stock fairings with the Tundra logo or something... Oh well. 

Must have been another mod I think, I never had stock-ish fairings with logo's on it :/ I wouldn't know what mod that could have been.

12 hours ago, Starman17 said:

I've installed the mod however nothing shows up in the VAB

Welcome to the forums :)

This mod has several dependencies that are required for it to work. You’ll need Kerbal Reusability Expansion, B9 Part Switch, Kerbal Actuators and Near Future Solar installed in GameData alongside the mod.

Make sure it’s installed correctly. I can’t remember if Tundra has its own GameData, but if it does you will need to put the contents of that into the game’s main GameData folder.

Hope that helped!!

13 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Welcome to the forums :)

This mod has several dependencies that are required for it to work. You’ll need Kerbal Reusability Expansion, B9 Part Switch, Kerbal Actuators and Near Future Solar installed in GameData alongside the mod.

Make sure it’s installed correctly. I can’t remember if Tundra has its own GameData, but if it does you will need to put the contents of that into the game’s main GameData folder.

Hope that helped!!

Thanks, on holiday coming 2 weeks so I can’t reply to all. But this is correct for @Starman17

I have a question about the balance of the fuel tanks of the Mothra (F1) launcher. I dunno if the ratios are intended, but they seem a bit... off... Let's just look at them:

// Mothra B1-21 Fueltank
		name = LiquidFuel
		amount = 720
		maxAmount = 720

// Mothra B2-52 Fueltank
		name = LiquidFuel
		amount = 360
		maxAmount = 360

Meanwhile:

PART
	title = Mothra B1-21 Fueltank
	cost = 1500
	mass = 1

PART
	title = Mothra B2-52 Fueltank
	cost = 600
	mass = 0.25

For comparison, similar stock parts:

PART
	cost = 500
	title = #autoLOC_500532 //#autoLOC_500532 = FL-T400 Fuel Tank
	mass = 0.25
	RESOURCE
		name = LiquidFuel
		amount = 180
		maxAmount = 180

PART
	cost = 800
	title = #autoLOC_500535 //#autoLOC_500535 = FL-T800 Fuel Tank
	mass = 0.5
	RESOURCE
		name = LiquidFuel
		amount = 360
		maxAmount = 360

It seems the first stage is... somewhat balanced with FL-T800, but the second stage tank seems to be a bit overpowered :)
The visual scale also seems to be off in comparison, with S1 being roughly 4x the S2, but only twice the capacity:

Spoiler

e2JhiXl.png

Is this... intended?

46 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

Hmm, I think the first stage is actually UNDERpowered, since it doesn't get you very far - lower than 20000 m, if I remember correctly.

Comparing to 2x FL-T800, the numbers look fine :).

There may be other balance problems with, e.g. engine mass and performance, but I didn't look too much into them, the inconsistency with the tanks was more obvious :).

• 3 weeks later...

Do you think this is more than some artist's impression?

The upper winglet doesn't seem to have any heat shielding. And I wonder why there is no difference between sea level and vacuum engines anymore...

I guess the landing legs are expanding from the winglets. But what is that thing on the side near the front? Looks like a ladder from KSP :D

Just now, infinite_monkey said:

Do you think this is more than some artist's impression?

The upper winglet doesn't seem to have any heat shielding. And I wonder why there is no difference between sea level and vacuum engines anymore...

I guess the landing legs are expanding from the winglets. But what is that thing on the side near the front? Looks like a ladder from KSP :D

Those are canards, like little wings. Heatshield is visable, but because they will use PICA its that shiney part. And no this is most likely the actual thing. We will know more on the 17th this month so stay tuned!

On 9/14/2018 at 4:30 PM, damonvv said:

Those are canards, like little wings. Heatshield is visable, but because they will use PICA its that shiney part. And no this is most likely the actual thing. We will know more on the 17th this month so stay tuned!

I've tried once to aerobrake and land with your BFS, it is next to impossible. Everyday Astronaut has made a video where he builds the new BFR concept from scratch and he seems to be able to make it work somehow (yeah KSP reaction wheels are ludicrously OP), aerobrake like a space shuttle and then backflip to land on its fins after changing the angle of the bottom two.

In short the new BFS seems to feature variable aerodynamics to adapt itself to the flight stage.

Edited by Quoniam Kerman