[1.12.x] Tundra Exploration - v7.0 (Nov 5th, 2023) - (Re)Stockalike SpaceX Falcon 9, (Crew) Dragon (XL) & Haven-1!

Damon

Alright.

First of all, I'm sorry to tell you that I can't put BFR on git as I still want to change some things around before publishing it up to the public.
But no worry! I've put a new Rodan (Dragon V2 2018 design) version online instead! Get it >>here<<
When you download the github version. I've added a second version checker for people that use my github. That way you will be notified ingame when I have a new version out!

At this moment, no crafts will break (I hope). The old model is still ingame, but you can't select it in the VAB anymore. Any crafts will still have the old pod so you have to manually replace them with the new one.

Massive thank you to @JadeOfMaar for making the awesome new plumes for the Rodan pod!

Minor bugs to not worry about:

• Heatshield gear is not working yet
  • IVA is still old

I hope to get the BFR models done as soon as possible but I will stop giving dates like "hopefully this weekend" because I keep bumping up to things I want to fix before I put it on Github :)  I hope you understand!

Happy flying!

sJDwtgs.jpg

5 hours ago, rib3irojr said:

I have a problem with the MJ2 - Docking Autopilot with the BFR

docking autopilot requires that RCS control be perfectly balanced. Make sure that you can translate in all directions without introducing angular momentum. The same RCS that you use for translation is also used for rotational control and you don't want it having to maintain attitude at the same time as it is translating.

8 hours ago, rib3irojr said:

I have a problem with the MJ2 - Docking Autopilot with the BFR

As Damon said, the old BFR is not meant to be used, but if I'm not wrong, the problem is that MJ doesn't recognize the staged port module used and can't use it to control the vessel, maybe that port is missing the control transform too.

35 minutes ago, space_powder said:

Can we jettison the docking port shroud on the new Dragon 2 for chute clearance?

for both Dragons, chute's is on the side, not on the port like Apollo Orion or CST-100:

bHwK8md.jpg

So you can clip it that side.

5 hours ago, Starwaster said:

docking autopilot requires that RCS control be perfectly balanced. Make sure that you can translate in all directions without introducing angular momentum. The same RCS that you use for translation is also used for rotational control and you don't want it having to maintain attitude at the same time as it is translating.

2 hours ago, Drakenex said:

As Damon said, the old BFR is not meant to be used, but if I'm not wrong, the problem is that MJ doesn't recognize the staged port module used and can't use it to control the vessel, maybe that port is missing the control transform too. 

8 hours ago, damonvv said:

I don’t know about MJ2? Also, better to avoid using the old BFR for now ;) 

Oh, okay... I have much difficult to dock in my station with the BFR, I think that I'll use the Dragon's.

@Drakenex @rib3irojr

Apologies, I didn't realize that was the case about the missing control transform as I hadn't actually tried to use that part before. The issue with the port module is (SHOULD BE) a non-issue though as it is derived from the stock ModuleDockingNode and should be recognized by MJ2. But the missing control transform would be a definite deal breaker.

Edited by Starwaster
should be, not necessarily is....

1 hour ago, Starwaster said:

@Drakenex @rib3irojr

Apologies, I didn't realize that was the case about the missing control transform as I hadn't actually tried to use that part before. The issue with the port module is (SHOULD BE) a non-issue though as it is derived from the stock ModuleDockingNode and should be recognized by MJ2. But the missing control transform would be a definite deal breaker.

Though in reality it uses "ModuleDockingNodeStageable" who I really don't know if MJ recognizes; I've replaced it with  " ModuleDockingNode" and still nope. But well, new toy is coming anyway!

Speaking of that, any idea of how BFS 2018 is going to dock with it's tanker?

@damonvv Awesome Dragon V2!!! big thanks

1 hour ago, Drakenex said:

Though in reality it uses "ModuleDockingNodeStageable" who I really don't know if MJ recognizes; I've replaced it with  " ModuleDockingNode" and still nope. But well, new toy is coming anyway!

Something about this has been bothering me and I finally figured out what it was. I said that lack of a control transform is a problem. And it is. However, the docking node code has fallback code for situations where the control transform isn't explicitly provided. The problem is that it depends on the part's up transform being aligned with the docking node's forward transform and for that part they are not. The node points out the bottom and the part's reference transform out the top...

@damonvv I don't know what you're doing for the next BFR's docking but please keep that in mind?

4 hours ago, Starwaster said:

@damonvv I don't know what you're doing for the next BFR's docking but please keep that in mind?

Yes. No more weird docking ring with a custom module! The ‘engine fairing’ part on the BFS acts like a normal docking port. And the decoupler is a seperate part now! I will make sure the transforms are correct

Just now, Sufficient Anonymity said:

Anyone else having difficulties with the beta Dragon 2 trunk?

Elaborate?

2 minutes ago, Sufficient Anonymity said:

-zip too fast!- They're displaying as blocked by nothing, yet not charging.

They are? Oh.. if you turn your dragon 180 degrees, does it charge then?