[1.12.x] Tundra Exploration - v7.0 (Nov 5th, 2023) - (Re)Stockalike SpaceX Falcon 9, (Crew) Dragon (XL) & Haven-1!

Damon

A minor issue with the Dragon 2 is that it can't dock to the BFS because the shroud won't open far enough (it opens about 135 degrees, if it opened 180 degrees, it would be able to dock). A telescoping docking port for the BFS would also solve the issue, though that sounds harder to do than making the Dragon 2 docking port shield open wider.

1 hour ago, eskimo22 said:

A minor issue with the Dragon 2 is that it can't dock to the BFS because the shroud won't open far enough (it opens about 135 degrees, if it opened 180 degrees, it would be able to dock). A telescoping docking port for the BFS would also solve the issue, though that sounds harder to do than making the Dragon 2 docking port shield open wider.

SSPX has a telescoping docking port that will probably be long enough, but I don't have SSPX installed on the same installation that Tundra is, so I can't say I've verified it.

7 hours ago, eskimo22 said:

OqczVQE.jpg

This is one wonderful machine!

On my first mun-landing I was surprised to see I had enough fuel to return to Kerbin. And even more surprised I managed to land right back at the KSC in one try (after two kerbin orbit test flights though, and with help of the trajectory-mod to get at least slightly at the right entry-point).

https://imgur.com/Xr2OTgp

Re-entry was slightly chaotic though. High AoA to bleed energy, and then it flipped already at pretty high altitude. Once retrograde, it kept side-slipping a bit (no pure retrograde), but the lift vector was usable for steering the ship towards KSC.

Man, I haven't had this much fun in ages! Thank you!

37 minutes ago, Janus92 said:

This is one wonderful machine!

On my first mun-landing I was surprised to see I had enough fuel to return to Kerbin. And even more surprised I managed to land right back at the KSC in one try (after two kerbin orbit test flights though, and with help of the trajectory-mod to get at least slightly at the right entry-point).

https://imgur.com/Xr2OTgp

Re-entry was slightly chaotic though. High AoA to bleed energy, and then it flipped already at pretty high altitude. Once retrograde, it kept side-slipping a bit (no pure retrograde), but the lift vector was usable for steering the ship towards KSC.

Man, I haven't had this much fun in ages! Thank you!

Glad it worked in some degree! I will keep improving the balance and hopefully get something that is pretty stable to handle!

46 minutes ago, linecrafter said:

Hello, I was wondering whether it is possible to run latest version (1.1.4) in KSP 1.3.1 I haven't tested it, but maybe someone already did?

My test save is in 1.3.1 so this should work! Be sure to have all the necessary mods in the right version for 1.3.1

Thanks to @Starwaster I no longer need action groups to decouple the FH decoupler!
This is pretty sweet as you now can use the AnimatedDecoupler plugin and just decouple the boosters like any other decoupler and not having to worry about action groups anymore! (Will put it on the beta sometime tomorrow)

Edited by damonvv

14 minutes ago, damonvv said:

Thanks to @Starwaster I no longer need action groups to decouple the FH decoupler!
This is pretty sweet as you now can use the AnimatedDecoupler plugin and just decouple the boosters like any other decoupler and not having to worry about action groups anymore! (Will put it on the beta sometime tomorrow) 

I don't remember if I mentioned this or not, but you can also replace the decoupler on the shroud with Animated Decoupler (even though it's not animated) which will allow the cargo bay module to function properly. Animated Decouplers can be queried by the cargo bay module as to if it is closed or opened (decoupled).

59 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

I don't remember if I mentioned this or not, but you can also replace the decoupler on the shroud with Animated Decoupler (even though it's not animated) which will allow the cargo bay module to function properly. Animated Decouplers can be queried by the cargo bay module as to if it is closed or opened (decoupled).

I'm not sure which shroud you mean...

Also, THAT RE-ENTRY!

3 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Sorry, I meant the Falcon 9 shroud. (or what passes for the F9, I forget which movie monster you named it for)

Ghidorah 9 ;) is Falcon 9. But I wonder what you mean with the "cargo bay"

1 hour ago, damonvv said:

Ghidorah 9 ;) is Falcon 9. But I wonder what you mean with the "cargo bay"

https://github.com/damonvv/TundraExploration/blob/b721092286337538d4bf3165dc04baae4b5eafd7/GameData/TundraExploration/Parts/Falcon9/TE_Fairing.cfg#L92-L115

You actually have two nodes in there for it. Both of them are pointing at the 0th MODULE which is ModuleDecouple - that won't work because whatever MODULE you point it at (DeployModuleIndex) has to implement iScalarModule so that the cargo bay knows when it is 'open' or 'closed'. The stock procedural fairing does and so does ModuleAnimateGeneric. Not sure if any others do, but ModuleDecouple does not. If you look in your log for iScalarModule, you'll see a warning about it.

BTW, am I the only person who hears 'GHIDORAH GHIDORAH' in the same tone as 'FIGARO!'...?

Uhm never mind that last part... forget I said anything... :blush:

5 hours ago, DanielBR401 said:

@damonvv can you verify the joints? Seems like they need a lot more reinforcement, they are breaking pretty easily when making turns and stuff, especially the BFB.

Hmm, I haven’t noticed it that much but there is room for improvements 

7 hours ago, Starwaster said:

https://github.com/damonvv/TundraExploration/blob/b721092286337538d4bf3165dc04baae4b5eafd7/GameData/TundraExploration/Parts/Falcon9/TE_Fairing.cfg#L92-L115

You actually have two nodes in there for it. Both of them are pointing at the 0th MODULE which is ModuleDecouple - that won't work because whatever MODULE you point it at (DeployModuleIndex) has to implement iScalarModule so that the cargo bay knows when it is 'open' or 'closed'. The stock procedural fairing does and so does ModuleAnimateGeneric. Not sure if any others do, but ModuleDecouple does not. If you look in your log for iScalarModule, you'll see a warning about it.

Oh that fairing, I will take a look!

I played around a little with the aerodynamics too and I managed to get a well flyable machine, even enabling a difficult re-entry from the mun. :confused:See here:

https://imgur.com/a/kKvDwwd

I noticed these things in the aerodynamics:

- In the engine-shroud cfg I found the CoMOffset entry two times. Removing the last one made flying much more stable for me. (I'm guessing it didn't use the first one?)

- The Forward fin L & R configs have different values for drag at max and min AoA. No noticable change for me.

And I also changed some things in the CommandPod cfg that helped me noticably:

- Reaction wheels power from 400 to 800, since we don't have actual control surfaces. Not so much for stability, but SAS and flying capability.

- RCS power doubled, to ensure the flipping maneuver at low enough speeds.

So far it has resulted in something more easily flyable in all my tests (weird re-entry angle, half full tanks etc), but ofcourse I'll leave the actual tweaking to you.;)

Edited by Janus92

It's really only two changes on your latest download version on github:

Commandpod cfg:

name = ModuleReactionWheel

PitchTorque = 800

YawTorque = 800

RollTorque = 800

//Was 400

name = ModuleRCSFX

thrusterTransformName = RCS

thrusterPower = 26

// Was 13

Engine shroud cfg:

CoMOffset = 0.0, 3.0, 0.0

-Check for a second CoMOffset with 2nd value -2.0 in it, and remove the whole line. 3.0 works well for me.

Or would you like the whole cfgs?