[1.12.x] Tundra Exploration - v7.0 (Nov 5th, 2023) - (Re)Stockalike SpaceX Falcon 9, (Crew) Dragon (XL) & Haven-1!

Damon

1 hour ago, SpaceMouse said:

@damonvv Have you considered doing a converted version of a BFR booster as a centrifuge? I know it was the original plan for the Space Shuttles main tank but never ended up happening.

I know there's been no known discussion of it from SpaceX but it seems like it might be a ideal secondary use.

Like this?

6gWdQRr.png

A cool, "kerbal" (ie: LEGO) variant might be to have the pressurized section (the top 1/3 or whatever it is) be a separate part. Then you could mess with not only a "chomper" cargo variant, but alternate nose versions might well be possible. One with a docking port at the nose, or some minimal crew version with a LES, or a tanker (that Musk said would look really weird).

17 hours ago, damonvv said:

As of right now, that's basically not possible with current KSP physics, so I'm trying to work out what the best option is for these canards. Worse case will be an animation with an open and close position for the canards.

This obviously requires a different part (or part type), but figured I'd post it for you in case it helps.

(watch the short vid)

5 hours ago, SpaceMouse said:

@damonvv Have you considered doing a converted version of a BFR booster as a centrifuge? I know it was the original plan for the Space Shuttles main tank but never ended up happening.

I know there's been no known discussion of it from SpaceX but it seems like it might be a ideal secondary use.

What is a centrifuge? Isn't that something that rotates?

The shuttle main tank idea was a “wet workshop” variant, where spent main tanks were not deorbited, but used as habitat/lab space.

In the centrifuge version, they are assembled such that they spin (they’re attached to a final structure like a wheel) for artificial gravity.

On 9/23/2018 at 4:22 PM, damonvv said:

BFS will have:

• Cargo section for rovers some parts or KIS storage
  • EVA on both the side of the command pod and inside the cargo section
  • docking port on the back
  • IVA

uoaeums.png

IVA? :wub:

The second image has smaller doors. Did you change your mind? Will there be a common door for cargo and EVA?

I think Everyday Astronaut's airbrake approach might be worth a try. Using action groups, it could be rudimentarily steerable, and maybe it can be improved with a KOS script.

So will the engines be single parts or a cluster as before? Another benefit of a cluster came to my mind: switchable modes. As I understood, only 3 engines are used for landing. Many animations show 3 in a row, but I think a triangular shape would be prettier (I'm not sure what would be better for safety/stability).

As for the (rear) cargo, will there be an option to have resource kontainer instead of a KIS container? Either switchable (not sure if this is possible) or a separate part. Would be very useful to store MaterialKits for base building. Or just ore for stabilization...

Some custom tanks have an option to become what you want (see MOLE mod), it becomes either a storage container with inventory to put anything inside it with KIS and KAS, or becomes whatever type of tank you need wether LF/Ox, LF, Hydrogen, etc... So I guess it can be possible to have such possibility in the bottom storage things on this BFS. Remeber that Musk said that these could be replaced by fuel tanks in the future to give more delta-V to the BFS, thus sacrificing some storage capacity.

Edited by Quoniam Kerman

2 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

IVA? :wub:

The second image has smaller doors. Did you change your mind? Will there be a common door for cargo and EVA?

I think Everyday Astronaut's airbrake approach might be worth a try. Using action groups, it could be rudimentarily steerable, and maybe it can be improved with a KOS script.

So will the engines be single parts or a cluster as before? Another benefit of a cluster came to my mind: switchable modes. As I understood, only 3 engines are used for landing. Many animations show 3 in a row, but I think a triangular shape would be prettier (I'm not sure what would be better for safety/stability).

As for the (rear) cargo, will there be an option to have resource kontainer instead of a KIS container? Either switchable (not sure if this is possible) or a separate part. Would be very useful to store MaterialKits for base building. Or just ore for stabilization...

Left side has a big cargo bay, middle is the docking port, and right is the EVA door.
There will also be an EVA door inside the cargo bay!

For now I will only include a SL Raptor engine, which can be placed 7 times. So you can configure your whole engine on what you want.

I think I have to look at someone with cute cat eyes @JadeOfMaar :ph34r: to make a switchable cargo section on the rear, which can be used for KIS, fuel or ore etc!

On 9/23/2018 at 10:54 PM, Starwaster said:

Uhm no, that picture is something like 70 years old...

I think that's the joke...

On 9/23/2018 at 1:41 PM, damonvv said:

working hard, sadly I can't finish it today. Hopefully within the next 2-3 days I can put a beta up for people who wants to help out balancing it!

nk0Z1xb.png

Also, Amazing work. Can't wait. :D 

Edited by Starslinger999

Why? Isn't it possible to just make them attachable separately, and make them act like a control surface? Please correct me if I am wrong, I don't know a lot about mod-making... Also btw, the pictures are looking GREAT!! I am amazed. What visual mods are you using?

Edited by HotVector

5 hours ago, sh1pman said:

@damonvv were you able to find the solution for fin control problem? They’re basically remodeled airbrakes, so the code should be somewhat similar. What I really want is the ability to bind their motion (in small increments) to action groups, if that’s even possible.

Well I looked at the airbrake config, but then you need to use the airbrake button to retract the fins up for re-entry. I don’t know if that’s useful or not. Now you have just 2 action keys to control the front or back actuated fins.

3 hours ago, HotVector said:

Why? Isn't it possible to just make them attachable separately, and make them act like a control surface? Please correct me if I am wrong, I don't know a lot about mod-making... Also btw, the pictures are looking GREAT!! I am amazed. What visual mods are you using?

I wish KSP supported this kind of control surface. But sadly it won’t work the way I want it.

2 hours ago, rib3irojr said:

You'll make a video about this beautiful rocket?

Oh yes for sure!

38 minutes ago, g600 said:

Now the real question would be when @Nessus_ would do a RO+RSS simulation of #dearMoon or Mars mission with this new BFR? Good work @damonvv! (Now, when will that most powerful reusable Saturn V come to fruition? - the one that has been stuck in R&D in the VAB.) :D

6 months probably :P 

@damonvv Did you create new fins for the booster? SpaceX doesn't seem to have decided whether the booster will have 3 fins or 4 - there are illustrations of both variants. And in some images it looks like it won't have any grid finds, on other images it does. Anyway, most of the force (or, in space, of course all the force) to turn comes from the RCS thrusters. They seem pretty powerful. The current Gojira booster turns pretty slowly compared to what I've seen in SpaceX's videos.