[1.12.x] Tundra Exploration - v7.0 (Nov 5th, 2023) - (Re)Stockalike SpaceX Falcon 9, (Crew) Dragon (XL) & Haven-1!

Damon

12 hours ago, dumbsloth87 said:

Don't forget to include the optional vacuum engines in the update!

And the aft cargo... So there needs to be one or more attachment points where you can either put engines or some containers. Would be so cool if we could store rover parts there, and assemble them on Duna. Do you think that is the idea behind it? I always wondered how the heck they want to put rovers on Mars with the BFR. I guess you could store a rover there, folded around the engines. Once landed, the cargo bay could extend downwards like an elevator, and the rover could automatically unfold.

4 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

And the aft cargo... So there needs to be one or more attachment points where you can either put engines or some containers. Would be so cool if we could store rover parts there, and assemble them on Duna. Do you think that is the idea behind it? I always wondered how the heck they want to put rovers on Mars with the BFR. I guess you could store a rover there, folded around the engines. Once landed, the cargo bay could extend downwards like an elevator, and the rover could automatically unfold.

I think that could be posible to make in KSP...You could make a part that functions as a rover and you could place it in a KIS box..Once you are at Duna a Kerbal could just Place the rover on the ground

XVI3nYq.png
TEASER! :P 

My 2018 BFS will have the following parts:

• Command pod (with docking port/hatch (for cargo or rovers? or whatever!) and IVA)
  • 1 actuated forward fin
  • Fuel tank (middle section)
  • Engine fairing + placeholders where fins can attach to via nodes)
      - 1 top fin
      - 1 Left actuated rear fin
      - 1 right actuated rear fin
  • 1 AFT Cargo part you can place around the engines (KIS support)
  • 2 engine layout placeholders
  • A single VAC and single SL engine

My 2018 BFB will have the following parts:

• Prope core (looks like interstage for BFS)
  • Main fueltank
  • 1 side fin

I'm not sure if I keep the BFB engine cluster as one part. My main concern is FPS when you have 31 engines attached as 31 parts.

• Engine mount ?
  • 1 SL Raptor engine ?
Edited by damonvv

57 minutes ago, damonvv said:

XVI3nYq.png
TEASER! :P 

My 2018 BFS will have the following parts:

• Command pod (with docking port/hatch (for cargo or rovers? or whatever!) and IVA)
  • 1 actuated forward fin
  • Fuel tank (middle section)
  • Engine fairing + placeholders where fins can attach to via nodes)
      - 1 top fin
      - 1 Left actuated rear fin
      - 1 right actuated rear fin
  • 1 AFT Cargo part you can place around the engines (KIS support)
  • 2 engine layout placeholders
  • A single VAC and single SL engine

My 2018 BFB will have the following parts:

• Prope core (looks like interstage for BFS)
  • Main fueltank
  • 1 side fin

I'm not sure if I keep the BFB engine cluster as one part. My main concern is FPS when you have 31 engines attached as 31 parts.

• Engine mount ?
  • 1 SL Raptor engine ?

About the rear fins... Are you planning to make them as control surfaces or actuators using a mod like KerbalActuators (which I'm assuming would be the best choice since it's already required)? 

Just now, notJebKerman said:

About the rear fins... Are you planning to make them as control surfaces or actuators using a mod like KerbalActuators (which I'm assuming would be the best choice since it's already required)? 

Will be fun balancing those wings, and yeah since KA is already included, I can try and see if that works well with these fins, good catch!

Whoa, that looks great :D

Where will the hatch/cargo pod be? Now that the tail fin is in the way, my crane might not work anymore if it's in the center... :/

Why do you want to switch to single engines instead of a cluster? Cluster means a lot of work (especially for the booster) and increases the part count. What's the benefit?

I wonder if refuelling is still supposed to work the same way - only upside down so the fins don't get in the way. But I didn't see any fuel lines like in the previous version.

The landing video Elon showed confused me a bit. I wasn't sure which direction the rear fins were pointing - I guess "upwards" during descent, plus some steering movement? For the hoverslam, of course, they were in the standard position. And what about the canards? First I imagined they would work like normal canards, used for pitch only. But in the video they're kind of flapping like the rear fins. I really wonder how good this flies, and especially, turns around. That was the hardest part with the old design.

18 hours ago, OccupyMarsNow said:

A suggestion for future BFB update: Adding a landing cradle with docking port that can mount to the booster? I guess I should try coding a cradle landing after nailing the F9 one...

That would be awesome :cool: But then we would need to launch from there as well. The older videos about the intercontinental passenger flights were showing a crane that lifted the BFS to the top of the booster. So we would need that and the cradle right beside a launchpad. And the BFS would need some kind of attachment point on the nose, where the crane can grab it.

4 hours ago, darkerdadorito said:

I don't wanna put pressure or sound like that one annoying person but...
When do you expect the model and texturing to be completed? (I'm just really hyped for this new update sorry lol)

I hope this weekend actually

1 minute ago, SpaceMouse said:

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, either in real life or KSP the BFR is a REALLY big rocket. Is KSP gonna need a pad upgrade for it to fit properly?

My BFR will be 5m wide instead of 9m. Will fit easily with the stock pad. I can make an RSS patch to have the full scaled version

51 minutes ago, damonvv said:

My BFR will be 5m wide instead of 9m. Will fit easily with the stock pad. I can make an RSS patch to have the full scaled version

Is there a reason why 5m instead of 6m, which I think would be more to scale? I don't think anyone would combine BFR parts with other rocket parts. But 6m would give more internal room, especially for the cargo version. And it would allow 5m parts to be stored in the cargo bay.

Did you see these videos? Some more details are discussed. Scott Manley said he doubts the way the fins move can be handled by KSP's steering model. I was right in my previous post, all fins just move up and down, no rotation. It flys like a wing suit.

1 hour ago, infinite_monkey said:

Did you see these videos? Some more details are discussed. Scott Manley said he doubts the way the fins move can be handled by KSP's steering model. I was right in my previous post, all fins just move up and down, no rotation. It flys like a wing suit.

I can't watch the video right now, but it looks like a fairly standard inverted V-tail. Why wouldn't this work in KSP?

2 hours ago, damonvv said:

Problem is, BDBs Saturn V is 5.625 meter. And that’s for a 10 meter IRL rocket. So 5 meter is the best option for me in comparison to the Saturn V.

I see. I don't use BDB, and to me it would make more sense to be consistent with your own rockets (F9) rather than those from some other mod. And the Saturn V wasn't intended to bring large payloads to a planetary surface - the capsule was tiny.

Of course, that's your decision to make. But it might be worth adding the TweakScale module. Scale Factors could then be 100% (BDB version), 120% (Tundra version), 180% (real size version).

1 hour ago, OccupyMarsNow said:

The main takeaway is: Each of the delta wings and canards can be actuated (flapping) independently (asymmetrically) to provide attitude control.

I can't imagine that would really make a huge difference in game. I think there's plenty of aircraft that do that anyway already. You could probably do it with a plugin or something if you REALLY wanted to.

3 minutes ago, DanielBR401 said:

Can you actually make a separate version of the BFR with realistic textures instead of stockalike?

Not for this update. And I don't think I will do that in the near future. But who knows! (this new BFR will look less stockalike tho ;) )