[1.12.x] Tundra Exploration - v7.0 (Nov 5th, 2023) - (Re)Stockalike SpaceX Falcon 9, (Crew) Dragon (XL) & Haven-1!

Damon

On 6/11/2018 at 12:04 AM, FutureMartian97 said:

Am I doing something wrong? Because when I try and dock two BFS's together they just bounce off and never connect. 

Using the Pre-Built ones btw

I had problems with the prebuilt vehicles as well, so I built my own. Be sure to have the decouplers facing the right direction. Default direction should be correct if I remember correctly.

1 minute ago, infinite_monkey said:

I had problems with the prebuilt vehicles as well, so I built my own. Be sure to have the decouplers facing the right direction. Default direction should be correct if I remember correctly.

Uh oh.. time to revamp my BFR and get that guide finished too.

On 6/11/2018 at 1:42 PM, Sufficient Anonymity said:

MechJeb's Landing Autopilot might work, or alternatively you can do what I do with my first and second stages (I've fitted recovery hardware to both) and just dump them into the atmosphere whilst not focused on them, and let Stage Recovery's powered recovery take care of the rest.

That might work for the booster, but not for the BFS. Landing that precisely is REALLY hard. Booster is hard too, as opposed to the F9 - with that one, I can aerodynamically break from about 1000 m/s down to ~200 and then land pretty precisely (with KOS, not manually). With the BFR booster, it's much harder. It turns very slowly, grid fins have barely any effect, it is way too massive for a significant aerodynamic brake, and the central engines are so weak I basically have to start my suicide burn before the reentry burn. And I need about 20% fuel left for boostback + landing, while with the F9 I need less than 10%.

Landing the BFS is a whole different story. Engines are powerful enough so slow it down significantly, and aerodynamic braking is not a problem. The main problem here is precision. With F9, my precision is about 5 m. BFR Booster, something like 500. Dragon capsule, like 2000 (on Kerbin). But the BFS? I found no way for a scripted landing, and for my manual precision, I'm glad if I'm able to hit the flat area around KSC...

A tutorial would be highly appreciated :kiss:

14 minutes ago, damonvv said:

Uh oh.. time to revamp my BFR and get that guide finished too.

Yay :) Is it going to be savegame-breaking changes?

Oh, and while you're at it: Currently I'm trying to build some infernal robotics crane inside the cargo bay. Some attachment points at the top would be helpful. And being able to open the other half as well would make releasing baby ships easier ;)

Has anyone a better idea on how to get cargo or kerbals safely out of a landed BFS?

Edited by infinite_monkey

3 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

Yay :) Is it going to be savegame-breaking changes?

I will try not to, I found a way that *if* I break things, that your old crafts will remain in the same condition, but you won't be able to select the old parts in the VAB.

25 minutes ago, damonvv said:

I will try not to, I found a way that *if* I break things, that your old crafts will remain in the same condition, but you won't be able to select the old parts in the VAB.

Interesting. But saved crafts will still get updated or do I need to rebuild them? I'm gonna need to check how this will affect ScrapYard as well

4 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

Interesting. But saved crafts will still get updated or do I need to rebuild them? I'm gonna need to check how this will affect ScrapYard as well

Crafts will still be the same, just that you can't select the old parts in the VAB

On 10/27/2017 at 2:47 PM, damonvv said:

Current parts

• Satellite parts moved to Tundra Technologies <--- included!

Ah, like KRE's landing legs :) Good to know, so I'll probably have to rebuild an re-test all my parts before my big Duna mission. The OhScrap! mod will show no mercy...

A question about satellite parts - in your edited initial posts, you say they moved to Tundra Technologies, which should be included. I can't see the parts, and I have no Tundra Technologies folder inside GameData.

Some very minor thing I noticed: the landing legs marks on the reused B5 tank are just sliiiightly off the 90° angles.

5 minutes ago, SpaceMouse said:

That's a interesting pic, but it has some rather obvious flaws, like, how do you access the bridge when your on Earth or mars? There's no ladder.

No ladders on the real BFS. From the dockingport/cargobay  there will be like an elevator that will bring you down. But that’s not really something I want to do in a KSP way.

Edited by damonvv

Just now, damonvv said:

I don't know what you mean by that?

Sorry! I meant, switching the second stage engine fairing between white and B5 black.

Something like:

@PART[TE_F9_S2_Engine]
{
    %MODULE[ModulePartVariants]
    {
	primaryColor = #FFFFFF
	secondaryColor = #FFFFFF
	baseDisplayName = Default
	baseThemeName = White
	VARIANT
	{
		name = block5
		displayName = Block 5
		themeName = Block 5
		primaryColor = #FFFFFF
		secondaryColor = #000000
		TEXTURE
		{
			mainTextureURL = TundraExploration/Parts/Falcon9/F9S2B
		}
	}
	}

}

1 minute ago, Drakenex said:

Sorry! I meant, switching the second stage engine fairing between white and B5 black.

Something like:

@PART[TE_F9_S2_Engine]
{
    %MODULE[ModulePartVariants]
    {
	primaryColor = #FFFFFF
	secondaryColor = #FFFFFF
	baseDisplayName = Default
	baseThemeName = White
	VARIANT
	{
		name = block5
		displayName = Block 5
		themeName = Block 5
		primaryColor = #FFFFFF
		secondaryColor = #000000
		TEXTURE
		{
			mainTextureURL = TundraExploration/Parts/Falcon9/F9S2B
		}
	}
	}

}

I don't use the stock switcher. You need B9 Part Switch in order to switch the model to different textures!

34 minutes ago, damonvv said:

I don't use the stock switcher. You need B9 Part Switch in order to switch the model to different textures!

Sorry again, that was an example! I mean, again, that part lacks texture switch of any kind.

32 minutes ago, notJebKerman said:

Interstage? 

nope, that hollow thingy who wraps around that fire spitting thing and who is now black because it looks cooler and block 5 and stuff :)

Yes, the interstage, thanks :P

14 minutes ago, Drakenex said:

Sorry again, that was an example! I mean, again, that part lacks texture switch of any kind.

Oh the build in interstage.. Totally forgot it had one. Will look into it!