[1.12.x] Tundra Exploration - v7.0 (Nov 5th, 2023) - (Re)Stockalike SpaceX Falcon 9, (Crew) Dragon (XL) & Haven-1!

Damon

2 hours ago, SUPERFY said:

The BFR looks nice! Way to over powered though. Do you plan on balancing it? Currently not only is the upperstage itself a single stage to orbit, but you probably could get to Duna leaving the launch pad with nothing but the upperstage without re-fueling. I think I reached around 4000ms launching straight of the launch pad with the UpperStage. Right this sec the BFR doesn't need a booster to reach orbit or leave kerbins sphere of influence. The upperstage probably shouldn't even be able to produce a TWR over 1 with a full tank.

Play with a x2 to x10 scale if you want more realistic results with the included Dv. If you are taking off from Stock Kerbin, then you are likely going to have a lot of Dv left.

5 hours ago, mrtagnan said:

@damonvv 2 questions:

1. I need B9 part switch to switch textures right.

2. Will it take long for the landing pad mod you teased to be done?

I really like the mod good job!

The landingpad is done by @Omega482 and I don’t have control over that :P And yes, you need B9 for the F9 texture switch, but if you haven’t installed it thats fine too. But you can’t switch then.

3 hours ago, SUPERFY said:

The BFR looks nice! Way to over powered though. Do you plan on balancing it? Currently not only is the upperstage itself a single stage to orbit, but you probably could get to Duna leaving the launch pad with nothing but the upperstage without re-fueling. I think I reached around 4000ms launching straight of the launch pad with the UpperStage. Right this sec the BFR doesn't need a booster to reach orbit or leave kerbins sphere of influence. The upperstage probably shouldn't even be able to produce a TWR over 1 with a full tank.

Yeah, It was a pain to get BFR balanced. Your feedback will help getting things right so we will work on this for the next update!

1 hour ago, JedTech said:

Play with a x2 to x10 scale if you want more realistic results with the included Dv. If you are taking off from Stock Kerbin, then you are likely going to have a lot of Dv left.

Well we had in mind that you shouldn’t fuel the BFS ship all the way. It is OP in some stages but keep in mind that you have a cargo version too. So if you have a heavy payload you need almost every drop of fuel to get it in orbit and land after that. But yeah first release of the bfr, happy to hear feedback :) 

Edited by damonvv

The new BFR is amazing. I do have some control problems tough... It's impossible to turn around in order to land. Also, if I try to take off from the launchpad it will start pitching uncontrollably. But this is probably caused by the RCS & RW nerf patch I'm using (RW go to 1% of their current power and RCS to 25%).

Did I mention that it makes a great Mun lander?

8efCRb2.jpg

23 minutes ago, notJebKerman said:

The new BFR is amazing. I do have some control problems tough... It's impossible to turn around in order to land. Also, if I try to take off from the launchpad it will start pitching uncontrollably. But this is probably caused by the RCS & RW nerf patch I'm using (RW go to 1% of their current power and RCS to 25%).

Did I mention that it makes a great Mun lander?

-beautiful photo-

Amazing! Funny thing is that I haven't even tried landing on the mun. And yes, re-entry is very hard. We are working on getting it fixed so you can actually turn without having OP RCS power. About pitching, disable the flaps at launch, this will make it alot more stable, as the wings only work on re-entry backwards. When the BFS goes nose first it's almost impossible to recover, so that's something we have to fix. Glad you like it :)

Edit: I just notice that you don't even have the flaps added on the engine shroud.. Try adding those! Might use the .craft file so they are in the right orientation.

Edited by damonvv

@notJebKerman I have tried hard to balance this thing and I tried using an RW nerf as well, unfortunately, you really do need all that reaction wheel torque and RCS power to land the thing. I would suggest making the BFR parts an exception to this patch if you can.

Also worth noting as said previously that this thing is intended to be played in a 2.5-3.2 times solar system scale for most realistic results. And on top of that, if you want to recover both the booster and the ship you need roughly 1000 spare dV on each stage, respectively. I think we will be posting a flight guide soon.

Edited by Rock3tman_

Congrats on the 1.0 release! Just downloaded it and tried it out. Really liking the BFR parts and the retextures, especially the F9 retextures. Also nice choice in naming the BFR "Gojira". I'm looking forward to see what else you'll add to this mod! :)

I would really want to have opportunity to rescale all these parts, I want to make more realistic Falcon 9 with 3.75m diameter and BFR with at least 7.5m diameter. That would be really cool, because TweakScale doesn't work with this mod.

Edited by Nathanson

1 hour ago, Nathanson said:

I would really want to have opportunity to rescale all these parts, I want to make more realistic Falcon 9 with 3.75m diameter and BFR with at least 7.5m diameter. That would be really cool, because TweakScale doesn't work with this mod.

I was planning this too, but we have to balance it for stock first, once everything is stable we can look at a tweakscale config :)

I asked the original author way back if it would be possible having the cover for the docking port cover on the dragon be configurable so it would flip 180 or possibly be non-present and be a separate part. He didn't want to, and that's cool, but thought I'd ask you as you may have a different opinion. It would make it a more versatile command part to use rather than just as pod.

Edited by helaeon

4 hours ago, helaeon said:

I asked the original author way back if it would be possible having the cover for the docking port cover on the dragon be configurable so it would flip 180 or possibly be non-present and be a separate part. He didn't want to, and that's cool, but thought I'd ask you as you may have a different opinion. It would make it a more versatile command part to use rather than just as pod.

On that note I'd also ask to have a version that flips something like 120° for docking with PMA.

ffVRRFar.jpg

OveeZcvr.jpg

Edited by notJebKerman

3 hours ago, helaeon said:

I can't set how much something would rotate in an animation for just a shroud with toggles and all that. Will likely need to be separate parts with some different angles. I don't see the point in doing that. In the years I've used this mod I haven't come across a mission that I wasn't able to dock because the shroud was in the way. So something like the PMA might work just fine.

6 minutes ago, DJ Reonic said:

So, I have been having a bear of a time trying to do a reusable rocket launch. Anybody have tips or tricks to do a reasonable Space X style rocket launch and landing?

A mod I highly recommend is:

This lets you continue your normal rocket launch, separate your F9, but just continue with the 2nd stage. Once it is in orbit, you can switch back to the moment you separated the first stage and try to land. When that's done you can go back to your main mission and it will be recovered automatically. Very usefull!

Edited by damonvv

I've used that. I tried to use FMRS, Smart Parts Drainex and MechJeb for a landing, but I keep having uncontrollable spinning, and I can never get the fuel percentage right for MECO and 1st stage separation. Any advice on how much fuel to leave in the tank for a successful RTLS?

41 minutes ago, DJ Reonic said:

I've used that. I tried to use FMRS, Smart Parts Drainex and MechJeb for a landing, but I keep having uncontrollable spinning, and I can never get the fuel percentage right for MECO and 1st stage separation. Any advice on how much fuel to leave in the tank for a successful RTLS?

Aah, yes. (I never used MechJeb for landings) I guess you should try installing BasicDV so you know how much dV you have. When I separate, I have around 2000dV left, or 2100 LQfuel etc. Then just use the toggle to get one engine and fly back. Little re-entry burn so you don't come too fast. I'll post a video of how I land for RTLS shortly, to give you some visual guidance.

Edited by damonvv

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 3:30 PM, damonvv said:

Yes, BFR and ITS will be 5 meter parts.

Also:
9zXDsTB.png

Cool I just used the BFR cargo to get a Duna Rover to Duna I just found a good use for the BFR cargo. I like the Modular system you had for the BFR Maybe could you please make other BFR concepts like this oneImage result for BFR Spacex concept

4 minutes ago, Cloakedwand72 said:

Cool I just used the BFR cargo to get a Duna Rover to Duna I just found a good use for the BFR cargo. I like the Modular system you had for the BFR Maybe could you please make other BFR concepts like this one

-super sci-fy photo-

That's an interesting concept. Although this is made by a fan, not an official concept. So I don't think I'll add this. I could suggest add a few rockets with another mod and land it that way.

1 hour ago, damonvv said:

That's an interesting concept. Although this is made by a fan, not an official concept. So I don't think I'll add this. I could suggest add a few rockets with another mod and land it that way.

Yes it is an interesting concept I would love to see a mod part for the BFR payload I just found another one like that that has a Mars ascent vehicle & hanger for a pressurized rover https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20160014035.pdf I would love to see parts like this thank you for continuing this mod.

3 minutes ago, Cloakedwand72 said:

Yes it is an interesting concept I would love to see a mod part for the BFR payload I just found another one like that that has a Mars ascent vehicle & hanger for a pressurized rover https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20160014035.pdf I would love to see parts like this thank you for continuing this mod.

That's a cool concept, I'll definitely take a look!

1 minute ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

Is the road map correct? Grasshopper parts are coming. Good for you :D

Did I mentioned Grasshopper in my roadmap? Oh well :D 

41TSqNp.png

All one big family @Beale

Edited by damonvv