[1.12.x] Tundra Exploration - v7.0 (Nov 5th, 2023) - (Re)Stockalike SpaceX Falcon 9, (Crew) Dragon (XL) & Haven-1!

Damon

All y'all who are bugging Damon to make his stuff shiny ought to wait until Elon Musk actually releases imagery... :rolleyes: It's not even actually 2019 yet and it's hard enough on him with the expectation that the BFS design may change in shapes and sizes too.

54 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

All y'all who are bugging Damon to make his stuff shiny ought to wait until Elon Musk actually releases imagery... :rolleyes: It's not even actually 2019 yet and it's hard enough on him with the expectation that the BFS design may change in shapes and sizes too.

Yeah, this. Part of my suggestion about TU was that the color then becomes arbitrary. You can then make the craft any colors you like, after the fact (meaning the end user makes those changes via the right click).

Edited by tater

1 minute ago, Boamere said:

Simple question, how are you meant to launch the falcon heavy, as in how do you make the middle stage lose less fuel. I'm flying manually 

By simply right clicking the center cores engine and reduce the thrust limit to maybe 90%. This will leave you more fuel in the middle after some time.

54 minutes ago, damonvv said:

@Boamere something like this. Works for me!

Thanks a bunch! Just managed to to do it manually by putting the engine in 3 mode with a 30 ton payload, with a tiny amount of fuel left in the primary boosters!

Spoiler

82ckaM0.jpg?1

s5ynhay.jpg

Seems very cost effective too, overall the mission cost me 80k I think. and around 50-something without the payload 

Edited by Boamere

I now have a Falcon 9-style strongback tower available as a dev part for v2 of Modular Launch Pads, now on my Github.  It has two methods of fallback retraction: a simple one-step method with drop-umbilicals that fully retracts at liftoff, and a two-step method without umbilicals that allows a partial retraction pre-launch, then a separate fallback animation.

And yeah, it was designed with the TE Ghidorah as the fit model. :)

On 12/24/2018 at 4:58 PM, damonvv said:

By simply right clicking the center cores engine and reduce the thrust limit to maybe 90%. This will leave you more fuel in the middle after some time.

Or use fuel transfer lines feeding the center stack from the outer stacks, but ensure that fuel priority of the tanks on all three stacks is set to the same priority. All three stacks will drain simultaneously except that the center stack will drain slower since its engines are also being fed by the outer ones. The result is pretty close to what you would get if you throttled the center stage. The delta-V expenditure will be different but it's close enough for government work.

Edited by Starwaster

12 hours ago, noxeeternal said:

The Dragon 2 Pod gets very unstable when reentering. It spins wildly when above 50000/40000m. Am I doing it wrong? Playing on stock version of game 1.4.1. Thanks!

yeah in mine it refuses to go heat shield first and goes broadside like Starship. wait how is it stock if you have TE installed? do you mean no other mods than TE and it's dependencies?

29 minutes ago, Natokerbal said:

yeah in mine it refuses to go heat shield first and goes broadside like Starship. wait how is it stock if you have TE installed? do you mean no other mods than TE and it's dependencies?

Uh I have some other mods such as ProbesPlus, Tantares, Stockalike Station Parts, etc. When I meant stock means I don't have RSS/RO installed.

15 hours ago, noxeeternal said:

The Dragon 2 Pod gets very unstable when reentering. It spins wildly when above 50000/40000m. Am I doing it wrong? Playing on stock version of game 1.4.1. Thanks!

Weird, will look into it as soon as I can!

6 hours ago, TM31D2475 said:

1.6!!!!

Just so you know. It's rude to go into a mod's thread and shout the KSP version number or otherwise jab the mod maker. Every mod maker already learns fast enough when a KSP release has arrived.