[1.12.x] Tundra Exploration - v7.0 (Nov 5th, 2023) - (Re)Stockalike SpaceX Falcon 9, (Crew) Dragon (XL) & Haven-1!

Damon

@damonvv I'm back with another bug on the lovely beta version.:/

this time the TEL doesn't have a stage anymore to be able to decouple and retract. no action group or anything. it's great for static fires just not trying to liftoff.

Edited by Natokerbal

5 hours ago, Natokerbal said:

@damonvv I'm back with another bug on the lovely beta version.:/

this time the TEL doesn't have a stage anymore to be able to decouple and retract. no action group or anything. it's great for static fires just not trying to liftoff.

You need Animated decoupler for it to work!

You're right to hold off until more details emerge.

So right now, we have the whole Starship/Super Heavy stack as mirror-polished stainless steel. Starship will use transpirational cooling (so methane expended, not a regen cooling system. Last night Musk said that Super Heavy will very likely get fins/canards like Starship, dumping the landing on the clamps bit.

15 minutes ago, tater said:

You're right to hold off until more details emerge.

So right now, we have the whole Starship/Super Heavy stack as mirror-polished stainless steel. Starship will use transpirational cooling (so methane expended, not a regen cooling system. Last night Musk said that Super Heavy will very likely get fins/canards like Starship, dumping the landing on the clamps bit.

Yep, I might start changing my Starship now as we get more confirmation that the design will stay. So I'm on it!

14 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

Congratulations on being chosen as one of our Threads of the Month !

Happy landings!

Thank you! I'm honored!

5 minutes ago, Daishi said:

Hear hear! :D

Thanks! :D 

4 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Finally! I won't have to go looking for this thread for a few weeks. :)

Hehe, me neither hah!

Edited by damonvv

12 minutes ago, DylanSemrau said:

@damonvv Will you be making different variants for raptor? For example Raptor vacuum. Or would you prefer to wait until we get more info?

Eventually yes!

12 minutes ago, DylanSemrau said:

Also congrats on getting thread of the month!

Thank you!

The Falcon 9 interstage and main tank is at an unrealistically high tier on the tech tree. F9 and FH would be extremely useful during the mid game, but is unfortunately not fully available until the late game.

I also can't seem to get FMRS to work, what's wrong?

Edited by eskimo22

9 minutes ago, eskimo22 said:

The Falcon 9 interstage and main tank is at an unrealistically high tier on the tech tree. F9 and FH would be extremely useful during the mid game, but is unfortunately not fully available until the late game.

For FMRS you need to go to FMRS thread for that.

for the Interstage and main tank I think it's in a good spot considering the real life technology is VERY advanced.

1 minute ago, Natokerbal said:

For FMRS you need to go to FMRS thread for that.

for the Interstage and main tank I think it's in a good spot considering the real life technology is VERY advanced.

Not much more advanced than other rockets, if at all. The high tech tree tier makes F9 not nearly as useful as it could and should be.

2 hours ago, eskimo22 said:

FMRS is not really needed, but you need these in order for it to work:

2 hours ago, eskimo22 said:

Not much more advanced than other rockets, if at all. The high tech tree tier makes F9 not nearly as useful as it could and should be.

I'll take a look at the tech tree! Haven't really done that for the past uh, year.. 

9 hours ago, eskimo22 said:

The new F9 textures look dope af. 

An issue I noticed with the F9 is that the Octopus engine lacks roll control.

Because there's only 1 thrust object. I did this to reduce lag coming from 9 different engines. Maybe I can find another way

24 minutes ago, damonvv said:

Because there's only 1 thrust object. I did this to reduce lag coming from 9 different engines. Maybe I can find another way

I just do nine individual engines. You're not really saving anything because in the end it boils down to 9 individual ModuleEngines* applying force against a single thrust vector or a single ModuleEngines* looping over nine thrust vectors applying force against each one.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

4 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

I just do nine individual engines. You're not really saving anything because in the end it boils down to 9 individual ModuleEngines* applying force against a single thrust vector or a single ModuleEngines* looping over nine thrust vectors applying force against each one.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Try a Falcon Heavy launch. I tested both options and this way I saved myself 10-20fps during a launch.

On 2/1/2019 at 4:31 PM, tater said:

So right now, we have the whole Starship/Super Heavy stack as mirror-polished stainless steel. Starship will use transpirational cooling (so methane expended, not a regen cooling system.

Since only the belly-part of Starship will get the additional cooling, wouldn't it make sense to make the heat shield a separate part? This would allow for more realistic heat distribution. Right now, due to how KSP works, the whole fuselage is heating up, blowing up solar panels and stuff inside the cargo bay due to heat conduction.

29 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

Since only the belly-part of Starship will get the additional cooling, wouldn't it make sense to make the heat shield a separate part? This would allow for more realistic heat distribution. Right now, due to how KSP works, the whole fuselage is heating up, blowing up solar panels and stuff inside the cargo bay due to heat conduction.

OOOOOOOOHHH I love this idea. but one problem. we still don't know what it will look like @damonvv said he wants to wait for official renders of starship before he makes a new one.

Edited by Natokerbal

1 hour ago, infinite_monkey said:

This is a bug. Parts inside the cargo bay should be protected but somehow my drag cubes are not working correctly.