[1.12.x] Tundra Exploration - v7.0 (Nov 5th, 2023) - (Re)Stockalike SpaceX Falcon 9, (Crew) Dragon (XL) & Haven-1!

Damon

Sneak peek Saturday!

Currently revamping the loved Cargo Dragon. This one hasn't changed since I took over the mod from @tygoo7 15 months ago. Time for a change!

PtmrM3Z.png   yAnrZGX.png

Also, did I mention booster numbering is coming?

c3hR997.png

Edited by damonvv

4 hours ago, damonvv said:

This is a bug. Parts inside the cargo bay should be protected but somehow my drag cubes are not working correctly.

It's not a cargo bay until it has ModuleCargoBay defined on it, with DeployModuleIndex set to the index of the appropriate ModuleAnimateGeneric module.  (it could also be any other module that implements IScalarModule that the cargo bay can query as to open and closed states such as my Animated Decoupler)

2 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

It's not a cargo bay until it has ModuleCargoBay defined on it, with DeployModuleIndex set to the index of the appropriate ModuleAnimateGeneric module.  (it could also be any other module that implements IScalarModule that the cargo bay can query as to open and closed states such as my Animated Decoupler)

I removed the module because it never worked. I used it together with the right ModuleAnimateGeneric file but it never protected parts.

5 minutes ago, damonvv said:

I removed the module because it never worked. I used it together with the right ModuleAnimateGeneric file but it never protected parts.

Did you set its LookupCenter? If it's not set then it's probably using the part's base transform.

11 minutes ago, damonvv said:

LookupCenter is a transform?

No, it's the point where you want the cargo bay to be when it's checking if something is in the cargo bay or not. For most parts that point is usually the center of the object which is usually where its transform is. 

3 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

No, it's the point where you want the cargo bay to be when it's checking if something is in the cargo bay or not. For most parts that point is usually the center of the object which is usually where its transform is. 

Mine is not in the center of the object. So how would I approach this?

23 minutes ago, damonvv said:

Mine is not in the center of the object. So how would I approach this?

By setting lookupCenter (I capitalized it incorrectly earlier; it's lookupCenter)

Treat it as being an offset to the part's center. (or wherever the model's origin is)

BTW when I said you can use anything implementing IScalarModule, that apparently also includes ModuleColorChanger...... :confused:

Edited by Starwaster

@damonvv

This is three years old; hopefully it should still be mostly valid but the center by default depends on its renderer bounds so scratch the bit about the model's origin. 

There's also supposed to be another way to setup a bay 'container' as a separate invisible model. I remember it was mentioned by one of the devs a year or two back but I don't remember much more than that. Consulting the API docs, it mentions bayContainer, useBayContainer and bayContainerName where bayContainer is a collider. (the others being a boolean and a string, respectively)

On 2/2/2019 at 7:35 PM, damonvv said:

This is a bug. Parts inside the cargo bay should be protected but somehow my drag cubes are not working correctly.

I see, thanks for looking into it. And what about the solar panels? They're of course not inside a cargo bay, but still behind the fuselage - and they still explode, my guess is due to heat conduction.

- Raptor firing, whoo! (Oh and congratulations @damonvv for being part of the Threads of the Month!) Oh and how's the development on making BFR/Starship/Ghidorah II shiny? and also is there any way to simulate the (supposed) active cooling? (So instead of using Ablative to absorb the heat of re-entry, it would just absorb the heat using its own active cooling...I don't know maybe this could be simulated by using Electric Charge to actively cool the spacecraft upon reentry...) Anyhow, good work on the mod! Oh and I do believe you have the honor of being the first to get the Starship redesign into KSP as a mod.

Edited by g600

20 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

They are usable. You just have to look in the manufacturer tab.

I know, i mean without it, just in regular way. Or maybe if mod creator don't want Starship and BFR be in one mod he can make a standalone mod with old BFR parts.

Can anyone actually help with landing Starship? The chart doesn't really help for when KSP says no to high AoA coming in and just flips it over

EDIT: It would be nice if the Starship guide would indicate what kind of reentry we should be doing.

Edited by SquaredSpekz

3 hours ago, SquaredSpekz said:

Can anyone actually help with landing Starship? The chart doesn't really help for when KSP says no to high AoA coming in and just flips it over

EDIT: It would be nice if the Starship guide would indicate what kind of reentry we should be doing.

Spoiler

It's not perfect yet. But it works!

12 hours ago, SquaredSpekz said:

Radial out, upper fins down, lower fins up, rcs on.

Until you get to 300m/s, then toggle the fins up.

At 2.3km aboveground, begin flipping down by toggling upper fins first then land with lower fins out.

Is it just me or does anyone else think the plume of the BFR booster could need some rework? While the Falcon 9 booster has an impressive sound and looks powerful, for the BFR it's pretty underwhelming. It's silent, looks short, slow (maybe a performance problem on my side due to the number of engines?), and becomes spherical at a way too low altitude?

I tried playing around with the SmokeScreen settings, but it only made things worse, as I had no idea what I was doing :D 

On 2/4/2019 at 2:27 PM, NiL said:

I know, i mean without it, just in regular way. Or maybe if mod creator don't want Starship and BFR be in one mod he can make a standalone mod with old BFR parts.

He has said that when Starship/Super Heavy has a fixed design, he will make all the different versions part of the mod, e.g. MCT, ITS, BFR 2017, SS/SH 2018-??

On 2/5/2019 at 2:45 AM, Xd the great said:

Will the new version include a remake of the superheavy? @damonvv i believe they changed it to something like the starship.

No. Will have to wait for the next one as version 1.3 focusses on a revamp of Ghidorah and Gigan pods (F9 and dragon).

On 2/5/2019 at 7:46 PM, infinite_monkey said:

Is it just me or does anyone else think the plume of the BFR booster could need some rework? While the Falcon 9 booster has an impressive sound and looks powerful, for the BFR it's pretty underwhelming. It's silent, looks short, slow (maybe a performance problem on my side due to the number of engines?), and becomes spherical at a way too low altitude?

I tried playing around with the SmokeScreen settings, but it only made things worse, as I had no idea what I was doing :D 

Don't tell @JadeOfMaar, he made the plumes :ph34r: @Nessus_ made the smokescreen config. The sound is still stock. Need to make a version for that one as well!

14 hours ago, AdmiralSirJohn said:

So what launch towers work with these?  The ones I have are too big.

Currently not released yet, but I'm making my own strongback. Or you can download the dev version from @AlphaMensae's Modular Launch Pads that also has an erector.

4 hours ago, Natokerbal said:

@damonvv for FMRS what do you have your separation delay setting set at? the Interstage and the MVAC engine collide and blow up parts of the rocket and cause it to start spinning uncontrollably.

I usually set it to something like 2 seconds. Are you talking about Starship or Falcon 9? For Starship, I fire only 1 engine first, and the other ones a little while after, when there is enough clearance. For Falcon 9, I have 4 sepratrons inside the interstage. Sometimes the engine still makes the interstage explode at full thrust, so I throttle it down.