[1.12.x] Tundra Exploration - v7.0 (Nov 5th, 2023) - (Re)Stockalike SpaceX Falcon 9, (Crew) Dragon (XL) & Haven-1!

Damon

I've heard from various people that some things are not working in older versions of KSP.
Tundra Exploration NEEDS 1.5.1 or higher in order to use the new shader that was added. I will not attempt in getting things to work before 1.5.1.

With KSP 1.7 just around the corner (We're entering the 3rd month soon), I will wait with updates until then. Atm the focus is on revamping the probe parts and putting in a redesigned Dragon V2 IVA.

Happy launches!

WIP :
tpe7MPJ.png

Edited by damonvv

10 hours ago, CrazyDan said:

Hi, All. Firstly want to say this is an amazing mod that Damonvv has created/creating. I'm fairly new to the KSP world and exploring all the mods out there.

Just got to grips with MechJeb and FMRS, came across a little issue. Trying to figure out how to successfully land just the regular Ghidorah 9. Any advice on when I should detach first stage and how burning back towards KSC

Thanks.

I usually keep between 1400 and 1800 liquid fuel for boostback, reentry burn and landing. How much you need depends on how far downrange you are and on your horizontal speed. I don't MechJeb anymore for ascent, but I used to set it to a pretty steep ascent so I don't get too far downrange. I think I set the ascent curve to about 50 or 55%. Having an eye on the remaining fuel, I usually decouple as soon as the apoapsis reaches 70000 or 75000 m.

14 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

I usually keep between 1400 and 1800 liquid fuel for boostback, reentry burn and landing. How much you need depends on how far downrange you are and on your horizontal speed. I don't MechJeb anymore for ascent, but I used to set it to a pretty steep ascent so I don't get too far downrange. I think I set the ascent curve to about 50 or 55%. Having an eye on the remaining fuel, I usually decouple as soon as the apoapsis reaches 70000 or 75000 m.

Thanks for the info. I'll give this a try when I next load up. Using MechJeb just to get a basic idea how I should be doing things. Knowing that MechJeb probably isn't perfect way to get to grips with things. Having a fight with the MechJeb's auto landing guidance. Doesn't quite land where my target is, falls shy 1-3km. Shall keep trying.

3 hours ago, CrazyDan said:

Thanks for the info. I'll give this a try when I next load up. Using MechJeb just to get a basic idea how I should be doing things. Knowing that MechJeb probably isn't perfect way to get to grips with things. Having a fight with the MechJeb's auto landing guidance. Doesn't quite land where my target is, falls shy 1-3km. Shall keep trying.

Try deploying gridfins before using mechjeb. This may help.

And did you mount your gridfins upside down?

2 hours ago, Xd the great said:

Try deploying gridfins before using mechjeb. This may help.

And did you mount your gridfins upside down?

I'm currently just using the default pre-built crafts that were included in the mod. I do disable MechJeb and deploy gridfins than re-enable MechJeb just incase so it can adjust with fins out. Haven't tried deploying fins before though. 

Edited by CrazyDan

3 hours ago, CrazyDan said:

I'm currently just using the default pre-built crafts that were included in the mod. I do disable MechJeb and deploy gridfins than re-enable MechJeb just incase so it can adjust with fins out. Haven't tried deploying fins before though. 

I deploy gridfins before enabling boostback burn. Works extremely well for the Superheavy, aka 6m of inaccuracy, but not so accurate for falcon 9

25 minutes ago, RaiderMan said:

tried to load ghidorah heavy + rodan and its telling me it cant as its missing part rodan. am I perhaps loading an older craft file?

and this is the second error it gave me..

47149928442_25ab4f828c_t.jpgfalcon heavy error by XRaiderV1.7, on Flickr

Looks like a very old version to me heh. I don't include that craft file in the longest time. Try a more recent one :P 

10 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

@damonvvWill the RTG be separate parts? That would make it modular and align it with Coatl Aerospace.
Also: has the core a Textureswitch like Coatl Aerospace?

9 hours ago, Xd the great said:

the rtg seems to be stock...

3 hours ago, TheRedTom said:

Or Restock...

Every part is separate. The RTG is also a separate part and is based on restock. 

2 hours ago, damonvv said:

Yes and already fixed.

Only partially, as far as I can tell from GitHub. I need to test further, but you still have ModuleHabitation on the TE_18_BFS_CommandPod instead of USILS_HabitationSwapOption. Also, RoverDude said you need to add 3 other modules (USI_SwapController, USI_SwappableBay and USI_Converter). Should it work anyway? For me it doesn't. I don't have the Life Support option in the menu.

19 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

Only partially, as far as I can tell from GitHub. I need to test further, but you still have ModuleHabitation on the TE_18_BFS_CommandPod instead of USILS_HabitationSwapOption. Also, RoverDude said you need to add 3 other modules (USI_SwapController, USI_SwappableBay and USI_Converter). Should it work anyway? For me it doesn't. I don't have the Life Support option in the menu.

Hm interesting. I haven’t started career so I haven’t tested it yet. Nor do I had the new USI LS installed due to saving craft problems with 1.6. I’ll test it out more!

4 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Странный глюк; Когда я присоединяю адаптер обтекателя Falcon 9 к ракете в VAB , летаю на нем, а затем возвращаюсь к VAB , адаптер обтекателя на файле ремесла будет белого цвета с именем «УСТАРЕЛО». Использование последней версии этой и всех зависимостей.

i have same problem

9 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Strange glitch; When I attach the Falcon 9 fairing adaptor to the rocket in the VAB, fly it, then go back to the VAB, the fairing adaptor on the craft file will be white and named 'DEPRECIATED'. Using latest version of this and all dependencies.

Interesting. I have problems with the fairings adapter as well: I have to pay the entry cost again and again. Apparently, there is some overlapping between the old and the new part, confusing KSP.

13 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Strange glitch; When I attach the Falcon 9 fairing adaptor to the rocket in the VAB, fly it, then go back to the VAB, the fairing adaptor on the craft file will be white and named 'DEPRECIATED'. Using latest version of this and all dependencies.

Latest version as in github? Spacedock? (Always make sure you delete the old folder before installing the new one).

3 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

Interesting. I have problems with the fairings adapter as well: I have to pay the entry cost again and again. Apparently, there is some overlapping between the old and the new part, confusing KSP.

Edited by damonvv