[1.12.x] Tundra Exploration - v7.0 (Nov 5th, 2023) - (Re)Stockalike SpaceX Falcon 9, (Crew) Dragon (XL) & Haven-1!

Damon

46 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

@damonvv Elon didn't share any renders of the cargo Starship during his presentation, but there is one on the SpaceX website:

Untitled.png

I just thought this would be useful, since if you're going to create this version of Starship in KSP you'll need as much reference material as possible.

chomper confirmed :D

21 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

I also wonder about those Superheavy landing legs. They're basically fins on the front when reentering. Isn't that gonna be unstable?

Well, the COM is near the bottom because of all those engines, and the grid fins are really big, so I think it should be fine.

1 hour ago, TheKSPBeginner said:

What about the tanker

They might not actually need a dedicated tanker vehicle. An cargo Starship  empty of cargo might be able to do it. It will require a lot less delta-v to get to orbit. Enough so that it should have enough to refuel another Starship and still be able to land.

Big 'if' there being that it depends on just how low they get the dry mass and how heavily loaded with cargo the Starship is that needs refueling. The mass estimates that Elon was throwing around the other night were quite a bit higher than I recall previously for dry mass.

Speaking of his presentation, I only skimmed it. Did he address the issue of the forward fins and how many axes they would actuate on? Recent tweets seemed to hint that they would move on two axes instead of just the one axis that he had stated several months prior. (I really have some issues with the previous design in that if there is ever a mishap during reentry where it gets into a nose first attitude then they will be in some serious trouble without canards up front to provide proper pitch authority)

I wanna share my progress:
MPd1iku.png

Currently just making the tanker version. Crew will be done right after. (This is a unity scene so nothing is ingame yet!!).
Still not really happy with the stainless steel texture but it's getting there.

3 minutes ago, damonvv said:

MPd1iku.png

Currently just making the tanker version. Crew will be done right after. (This is a unity scene so nothing is ingame yet!!).

That looks fine to me! 2 questions:

1: Are you using Textures Unlimited or the stock shader for the stainless steel textures?

2: How do you plan to handle the drag-based aerodynamic control system in game? Will it be possible with the stock game, or require a plug-in?

Just now, RealKerbal3x said:

That looks fine to me! 2 questions:

1: Are you using Textures Unlimited or the stock shader for the stainless steel textures?

2: How do you plan to handle the drag-based aerodynamic control system in game? Will it be possible with the stock game, or require a plug-in?

1. Stock shader for now. I want to see how good I can make the stock shader look first.
2. I am going to try and use the airbrake module for the fins. So you can control them with WASD and they will act as brakes when fully extended.

3 minutes ago, damonvv said:

1. Stock shader for now. I want to see how good I can make the stock shader look first.
2. I am going to try and use the airbrake module for the fins. So you can control them with WASD and they will act as brakes when fully extended.

*like* I can’t wait to try it out!

One little extra thing: your model looks to have TPS tiles on both sides of the fins. But judging from this render...

fi-spacex-starship-presentation-3.jpg

...there are only tiles on the windward side. So it’d look even better if you changed your version to reflect that :)

2 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

*like* I can’t wait to try it out!

One little extra thing: your model looks to have TPS tiles on both sides of the fins. But judging from this render...

...there are only tiles on the windward side. So it’d look even better if you changed your version to reflect that :)

Hmm, EFmQFf1U0AAVyJN?format=jpg&name=4096x409

You are right. I need to change that. Thanks!

3 hours ago, damonvv said:

MPd1iku.png

Just FYI, the tiles also cover the upside of the tip of the nose, like this:

3 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

and this

3 hours ago, damonvv said:

EFmQFf1U0AAVyJN?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Edited by eskimo22

4 hours ago, damonvv said:

MPd1iku.png

GIVE ME MY LIKE BUTTON

5 hours ago, eskimo22 said:

Just FYI, the tiles also cover the upside of the tip of the nose, like this:

and this

I know. Maybe I should have said that this is still very WIP.