Falling through a planet

WolfyDoo

@OhioBob, @Mrcarrot. Okay so I changed the formats to .dds. Although I thank you a lot for that information, it still hasn't fixed the problems I have. I'm literally trying everything, changing every value but nothing is working. Still those weird mountain texture bugs and this orbit line bug when I timewarp. Hope you guys can find something else?

Thanks

3 minutes ago, ApertureGaming said:

Problem is, those aren't mountains. They're just weird texture bugs that will disappear when I get closer to them. Something I would not like to see again haha. Deleting my cache file also didn't work for getting rid of those mountains. 

I usually I'll see stuff like that when I have an old cache.  I don't know how it works exactly, but when there's an outdated cache file we can often get what looks double images that don't quite match up, or weird ghost images.

In your case it could be the orientation of the images.  I don't recall how Kittopia exports them, so they might have to be flipped or rotated.  If you don't, then scaled space images won't line up with the PQS.

If you envision what the image is suppose to look like in the game, then color and normal maps should be rotated 180 degrees from that.  And height and biome maps should be flipped horizontally.  And going from color/normal maps to height/biome maps requires a vertical flip.

3 minutes ago, ApertureGaming said:

Problem is, those aren't mountains. They're just weird texture bugs that will disappear when I get closer to them. Something I would not like to see again haha. Deleting my cache file also didn't work for getting rid of those mountains. And for the map formats I was already planning on using .dds, but I don't know how to change a .png file into a .dds file. What I did is I just updated the textures with KitoppiaTech and that gave me files with a .png format. 

I use both Photoshop and GIMP, neither of which come with the ability to create .dds images.  However, both do have .dds plugins that you can install.

1 minute ago, OhioBob said:

I usually I'll see stuff like that when I have an old cache.  I don't know how it works exactly, but when there's an outdated cache file we can often get what looks double images that don't quite match up, or weird ghost images.

In your case it could be the orientation of the images.  I don't recall how Kittopia exports them, so they might have to be flipped or rotated.  If you don't, then scaled space images won't line up with the PQS.

If you envision what the image is suppose to look like in the game, then color and normal maps should be rotated 180 degrees from that.  And height and biome maps should be flipped horizontally.  And going from color/normal maps to height/biome maps requires a vertical flip.

I use both Photoshop and GIMP, neither of which come with the ability to create .dds images.  However, both do have .dds plugins that you can install.

I already deleted the cacheFile a hundred times and it didn't work unfortunately. I even rotated the images and exported them as .dds files. Still having these weird mountains.

Well then, I don't know what the problem is with those mountains.  If it's not the cache and it's not the orientation of the images, then I don't know what it is.  I'm out of ideas.  (Are you sure you rotated/flipped the images correctly?)

Describe again the problem with the orbit line.  I don't think I really understand what the issue is.

Edited by OhioBob

15 minutes ago, ApertureGaming said:

Okay so I think I explained it well enough in this album: https://imgur.com/a/YSfMX

It's weird and I don't know what's causing it.

OK, I think I see what you're talking about.  It looks like the planet is moving ahead of where the orbit line says it should be (at the point where the orbit line changes brightness).  Is that correct?

"but when I go back to 1x, the planet goes back to normal"  >>> Does this mean the planet jumps back to the position indicated by the orbit line?

I'm just trying to make sure I understand the problem.  Please don't think that just because I'm asking questions that I have any idea how to fix it.  As of right now I haven't a clue.

Just now, OhioBob said:

OK, I think I see what you're talking about.  It looks like the planet is moving ahead of where the orbit line says it should be (at the point where the orbit line changes brightness).  Is that correct?

"but when I go back to 1x, the planet goes back to normal"  >>> Does this mean the planet jumps back to the position indicated by the orbit line?

I'm just trying to make sure I understand the problem.  Please don't think that just because I'm asking questions that I have any idea how to fix it.  As of right now I haven't a clue.

Yes that is correct, althought it also doesn't stay on the line. So it doesn't stay where the orbit line says it should be (with brightness) and it also doesn't stay on the circle line.

And yes, it means the planet jumps back to the position indicated by the orbit line.

No problem, I'm glad you're asking.

Yeah, I can see where it's drifting off the orbit line well.  That's very strange, I've never seen anything like that before.  I can't think of anything that would cause it.  Did you say it doesn't do it when you uninstall Kopernicus?  Also, are you still using Sigma Binary?

8 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

Yeah, I can see where it's drifting off the orbit line well.  That's very strange, I've never seen anything like that before.  I can't think of anything that would cause it.  Did you say it doesn't do it when you uninstall Kopernicus?  Also, are you still using Sigma Binary?

Okay, so I was tweaking around and I think Hyperedit is the mod causing this problem. I deleted it and I think that helped. Without Hyperedit, it's pretty impossible to test out planets tho haha but I guess this problem is kind of fixed then? And no, I deleted Sigma Binary. Reinstalling Sigma Binary made everything worse to be honest. But I guess I have a lot of stuff to fix in my configs for SB to work. But I first want the planet itself to work. After that I'll take a look at SB.

You can teleport your ships into any orbit using the game's cheat mode, so you don't have to use HyperEdit.  HyperEdit causes enough weirdness that I've been trying to wean myself off of it as much as possible.  I now try to use it only when doing a landing.  For orbit changes I think the cheat mode is more reliable. 

Just now, OhioBob said:

You can teleport your ships into any orbit using the game's cheat mode, so you don't have to use HyperEdit.  HyperEdit causes enough weirdness that I've been trying to wean myself off of it as much as possible.  I now try to use it only when doing a landing.  For orbit changes I think the cheat mode is more reliable. 

Thanks. I will use that from now on. I guess everything is fixed now except the weird mountain bugs.. I think I'll soon make a new topic for that issue. Thanks for all! :)

12 minutes ago, ApertureGaming said:

But I first want the planet itself to work. After that I'll take a look at SB.

Incremental steps is always a good way to go.  Trying to do too much at once can create a debugging nightmare.

Just now, OhioBob said:

Incremental steps is always a good way to go.  Trying to do too much at once can create a debugging nightmare.

Yup, noticed that.. x)

@OhioBob. I just wanted to let you know that deleting HyperEdit fixed everything.. x). Mountain texture bugs are gone too now. Everything is completely fixed. Thanks a lot man!

I was just wondering if changing the template would do anything.  Some templates for whatever reason can produce weirdness.  I usually use Laythe when I have an ocean world, but for everything else I've gotten into the habit of using Moho.  So far Moho hasn't given me any problems.

5 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

I was just wondering if changing the template would do anything.  Some templates for whatever reason can produce weirdness.  I usually use Laythe when I have an ocean world, but for everything else I've gotten into the habit of using Moho.  So far Moho hasn't given me any problems.

I changed the template to Moho and I also tried it again with HyperEdit and all the problems are back again. I think we can conclude that HE is really the cause of all those problems... It's a nice and simple mod to navigate in the game but I strongly suggest to NOT use this mod for anyone reading this.

1 minute ago, ApertureGaming said:

I changed the template to Moho and I also tried it again with HyperEdit and all the problems are back again. I think we can conclude that HE is really the cause of all those problems... It's a nice and simple mod to navigate in the game but I strongly suggest to NOT use this mod for anyone reading this.

OK, scrap that idea.

Scrap the idea of using Moho as the template.  You said all the problems came back, right?

All the problems come back when I use hyperedit with it. I can try to see what happens when I just use Moho as a template without HE but that shouldn't change anything since everything works fine with Laythe as template right now.

2 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

OK, I misunderstood.  Yeah, it sound like HyperEdit is definitely not playing nice.  The only thing I was wondering about with changing templates is if it would fix the weird mountain thing.

I'll check that out another time for you. But what I see happens when I change the template to Moho is something with the SOI I think. When the template is Moho and I set an orbit around Moho, it doesn't make an orbit but instead heads off deeper into space, going into an orbit around the sun.

OK, scrap that statement. x) Happens for Laythe too..

Edited by ApertureGaming

I've seen that happen when a moon is outside the SOI of its planet.  The moon will orbit the planet even if outside the SOI, but vessels can't orbit the moon.  They just fly off into a solar orbit like you describe.

I've seen that happen when a moon is outside the SOI of its planet.  The moon will orbit the planet even if outside the SOI, but vessels can't orbit the moon.  They just fly off into a solar orbit like you describe.

That's weird tho cause it's in an orbit around Eeloo and Eeloo's SOI is really big while my planet doesn't orbit far away at all..

29 minutes ago, ApertureGaming said:

That's weird tho cause it's in an orbit around Eeloo and Eeloo's SOI is really big while my planet doesn't orbit far away at all..

Strange indeed.  How big is your planet's SOI?  There isn't any chance it's SOI is so small that you're trying to orbit outside it?

(edit)  Of course if you were outside your planet's SOI, you end up orbiting Eeloo, not the sun.  So never mind.

Edited by OhioBob

11 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

Strange indeed.  How big is your planet's SOI?  There isn't any chance it's SOI is so small that you're trying to orbit outside it?

(edit)  Of course if you were outside your planet's SOI, you end up orbiting Eeloo, not the sun.  So never mind.

Yeah, true. And I don't know what its SOI is since I let it automatically calculate it 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.