How to land with spaceplane on another planets

The good method of landing a spaceplane on another planet is pointing retrograde and brake until you are near the ground, then fly up and point your spaceplane as normal plane. You need to first start climbing and as second start pointing. Then you can land as normal plane but on another planet.

Eve: nice thick atmosphere*,  land like you would do in kerbin but at lower horisontal speed. Duna: bad thin atmosphere, land like you would do in kerbin but at much higher horizontal speed, or use upward thrust as substitute for the  lift you don't have at lower velocities. Moho: no atmosphere, why did you brought a plane there?

*oh, the irony!

3 minutes ago, Spricigo said:

Moho: no atmosphere, why did you brought a plane there?

I believe in 0.17 Moho did have an atmosphere. It was annoying and promptly removed.

Jool: Unless you are a beast your plane will either explode or be crushed due to pressure.

Minmus: Plenty of runways, just accelerate to orbital velocity before hitting a mountain and you'll be fine.

31 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Minmus: Plenty of runways, just accelerate to orbital velocity before hitting a mountain and you'll be fine.

I don't think you'll be fine hitting a mountain at orbital velocity. :sticktongue:

Seriously now. The defining characteristic of a plane,  for me, it's the wings providing lift. Landing gears on the 'underside' combined with engines on the 'backside' don't make a plane, neither are exclusive to planes.

So if there is no atmosphere its not a problem of landing a plane. 

6 minutes ago, Spricigo said:

I don't think you'll be fine hitting a mountain at orbital velocity. :sticktongue:

What I meant was get going fast enough so that you clear the mountains before its too late, not "Go fast and then hit a mountain." But, yes, that misinterpretation was extremely funny! :D

It is reasonable to fit  a small number of Vernier lift engines on your spaceplane (say, 1 per 10 tons or so) in order that it can land on low gravity moons without an atmosphere, and in places like Duna.  They can go in service bays so they don't cause drag in atmospheric flight.   Beyond that, for the Tylos,    Valls and Mohos of this world, it might be better to leave a re-usable chemical fuelled lander in orbit of the problem planet.    My spaceplanes tend to be liquid fuel only (nervs are like jet engines in that they are low twr, high efficiency engines that work well when wings are able to counteract gravity) so it's reasonable to make the interplanetary journey on them

Spaceeee Planeeeee

Spaceeee = vacuum
Vacuum = no plane
Planeeeee = air 
Vaccuum cleaner = Vaccuum cleaner.(forget this one:P)

So a space.......plane is a vehicle that combines vacuum maneuvering with aerodynamic maneuvering. Hence the "plane" part in the naming of spaceplane.

@topic description (meaning: everything written in the OT)

The OT content makes no sense whatsoever. Even a non spaceplane vehicle would land said way. Only with retrorockets would you not have to point retrograde. Meaning you always turn retrograde for braking unless you have rockets pointing forward................ retro rockets.....
Can be plane and rocket thus not applicable advice to spaceplane only.

Most spaceplanes don't have them retro rocckets nor do 'most' rockets so you turn retrograde in many/most ways regardless of that particular situation. 

First I need to climb, then I need to point is your advice?

The point in landing is not to climb....
So don't......

Just scrap the "climb" part and head to "point"
Why climb and then point? Just point Darn it.

To the ground please! That's where you wanna land.. Instead of climbing first and then pointing. What's the point of "climbing" when wanting to *land, I mean *point lol?
I point immediately for landing, I don't even think "climb"
"Climbing" = after launching my vessel wanting to go somewhere (when not being a rover or boat)
"Climbing"
= wanting to climb and not to land.
So landing = not to climb ever. Do you climb while landing? Your doing it wrong = your not trying to land.

In the vaguest sense of interpretation I estimate your will to climb is limited to the worlds where you can, meaning Kerbin, Duna or Eve (or Jool = Joke)
But even landing on said worlds you still wanna "point" to land and still not "climb"
So "climbing" while landing is never applicable. The polarity of climbing is sinking. The very word "sinking" would be better in the context of landing rather then climbing.
That the word climbing is even part of any landing advice is beyond sanity in my POV.

Just saying..

What are you telling us? Me? = not much. You = .......?
Other forum user = ........... [a fill in[
I haven't learned anything from this, but I respect your apparent will to help. That will alone is prime in any advice. Just not very accurate if it's just that will alone.
I'm full in words to tell you this

But you are in no words to explain me something I didn't know. In fact, you give advice for landing by advising to climb. Doing it without words while saying things contradictory to landing. Let's bottom line this to a application that may be used for both rockets and spaceplanes. After all, that is where I can use this advice literarily as it is posted. 

Edited by Helmetman

54 minutes ago, AeroGav said:

nervs are like jet engines in that they are low twr, high efficiency engines that work well when wings are able to counteract gravity

Except that Nervs work worse in atmosphere and wings better in atmosphere. 

54 minutes ago, AeroGav said:

Beyond that, for the Tylos,    Valls and Mohos of this world, it might be better to leave a re-usable chemical fuelled lander in orbit of the problem planet.

For the same reasons why a reusable lander anywhere else makes sense(or not).  Maybe in some places make sense that the lander is a plane, use jets or nuclear propulsion but that is besides the point. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 28. 10. 2017 at 10:38 PM, Helmetman said:

Spaceeee Planeeeee

Spaceeee = vacuum
Vacuum = no plane
Planeeeee = air 
Vaccuum cleaner = Vaccuum cleaner.(forget this one:P)

So a space.......plane is a vehicle that combines vacuum maneuvering with aerodynamic maneuvering. Hence the "plane" part in the naming of spaceplane.

@topic description (meaning: everything written in the OT)

The OT content makes no sense whatsoever. Even a non spaceplane vehicle would land said way. Only with retrorockets would you not have to point retrograde. Meaning you always turn retrograde for braking unless you have rockets pointing forward................ retro rockets.....
Can be plane and rocket thus not applicable advice to spaceplane only.

Most spaceplanes don't have them retro rocckets nor do 'most' rockets so you turn retrograde in many/most ways regardless of that particular situation. 

First I need to climb, then I need to point is your advice?

The point in landing is not to climb....
So don't......

Just scrap the "climb" part and head to "point"
Why climb and then point? Just point Darn it.

To the ground please! That's where you wanna land.. Instead of climbing first and then pointing. What's the point of "climbing" when wanting to *land, I mean *point lol?
I point immediately for landing, I don't even think "climb"
"Climbing" = after launching my vessel wanting to go somewhere (when not being a rover or boat)
"Climbing"
= wanting to climb and not to land.
So landing = not to climb ever. Do you climb while landing? Your doing it wrong = your not trying to land.

In the vaguest sense of interpretation I estimate your will to climb is limited to the worlds where you can, meaning Kerbin, Duna or Eve (or Jool = Joke)
But even landing on said worlds you still wanna "point" to land and still not "climb"
So "climbing" while landing is never applicable. The polarity of climbing is sinking. The very word "sinking" would be better in the context of landing rather then climbing.
That the word climbing is even part of any landing advice is beyond sanity in my POV.

Just saying..

What are you telling us? Me? = not much. You = .......?
Other forum user = ........... [a fill in[
I haven't learned anything from this, but I respect your apparent will to help. That will alone is prime in any advice. Just not very accurate if it's just that will alone.
I'm full in words to tell you this

But you are in no words to explain me something I didn't know. In fact, you give advice for landing by advising to climb. Doing it without words while saying things contradictory to landing. Let's bottom line this to a application that may be used for both rockets and spaceplanes. After all, that is where I can use this advice literarily as it is posted. 

Yes, i said on another planets. But its method of landing on atmosphere-less body. Im sorry.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.