The Question of 1.4

justspace103

7 minutes ago, justspace103 said:

What will 1.4 have?

Bugfixes and some content. We don't know what content it will be, though.

8 minutes ago, justspace103 said:

What major features of the game are yet to be added?

Depends on who you ask. Some call the game complete, some want multiplayer and warp drive and stuff.

8 minutes ago, justspace103 said:

What do you guys want out of 1.4?

Personally, I'd love to see a stock version of the visual enhancements mods (toggleable, of course) as well as the mythical "Gas Planet Two," as unlikely as that is to happen.

Take Two bought KSP for a reason. I don't recall if that was before or after the expansion was announced, though... They don't intend to kill it right away, we'll be getting content for a while, I think. Whether that is in more expansions or actual updates is the question... Or maybe even another game in the KSP series...

However, the first priority should be fixing the console versions, in my opinion.

TL;DR: We don't know anything about 1.4 except that it is being worked on.

11 minutes ago, justspace103 said:

What will 1.4 have?

Unity update, a few bug fixes, many new bugs, maybe a couple new (ie: previously announced then ditched) languages.

Depends on who you ask, but I personally feel like the game mostly lacks polishing.

In an ideal world? A better game engine, a more stable base, revamped art, completely overhauled career mode, new rocket parts, improved performance, improved graphics, a proper sound design, a part failure system, life support, aerodynamics that make some sense, Earth, real fuels, less bugs, and probably a bunch of other things I can't think of right now.

Realistically? Fixing more fixed bugs than are added would be great. Hopefully not too much of a performance/stability hit and a new feature too, but I feel like I'm being too optimistic there.

37 minutes ago, justspace103 said:

What will 1.4 have?

Unity update and things to support DLC, since that's where the money is. Any new versions will be pretty much solely focused on supporting DLC.

None. Engine updates, bug fixes, and DLC support is about all we should expect. Maybe some new localizations too. There's not a lot of money left in the base game so making DLC work will be the big focus.

The Unity update and continued bug fixing, maybe, finally, Squad sticking a fork in the damn thing so I don't have to keep creating installs and waiting for mods to update.

6 hours ago, justspace103 said:

Garbage collection stutter fixed.
Excessive memory usage reduced.
MacOS High Sierra performance issues fixed.
Latest round of freshly introduced bugs (catapult wheels & surface collisions on load again, asteroid seeds not saved, etc.) fixed.

New content? Meh, save it for the DLC. Fix the game engine already.

6 hours ago, regex said:

Squad sticking a fork in the damn thing so I don't have to keep creating installs and waiting for mods to update.

No need to "stick a fork in it", just stop changing the sodding APIs every update. Mods needing a recompile against a new version is not a big deal, code changes are.

Edited by steve_v

13 hours ago, Gaarst said:

Isn't this supposed to be part of the DLC?

No, they said it was stock.  Several of us asked that question.

8 hours ago, steve_v said:

No need to "stick a fork in it", just stop changing the sodding APIs every update. Mods needing a recompile against a new version is not a big deal, code changes are.

That's the issue, it doesn't technically have what you would consider and "API".  It just leaves it's members public for us to access.  A true API is a 'translator' between the primary code and the mod developer, the code of an API serves no purpose but to format the inputs of the primary code and make them accessible to the mod developer.  If the primary code changes, the API code is changed to adapt without changing the method headers (as much as possible, sometimes you just have to but then you use deprecation) and that way the mod developer never needs to see the change.  That's an API.  KSP doesn't have that and you can't avoid changing the primary code headers.

Edited by Alshain

18 hours ago, justspace103 said:

So I was reading the dev blogs and I saw that 1.4 was mentioned, so I began to wonder:

What will 1.4 have?

1. Some bugfixes and probably some optimization.  Maybe localization for more languages.

2. Maybe more hostile planets? Like volcanoes on Laythe? :P  It's pretty complete as is, we could use some stuff but there's nothing that we REALLY need.

3. Multi-core support and optimization mostly.  Something that would be REALLY cool is an optimization where the game engine counts the entire ship as a part, then when it breaks, it calculates the individual parts.  Much like Havok physics.  Also, maybe, just maybe, we could use a nVidia PhysX engine?  Probably not, but I'm not gonna stop hoping for more optimization.  

Seems like Making History is in a pretty advanced state of work right now, in 1.3.1. And 1.4 was just recently mentioned for the first time. So it seems safe to bet that MH will go beta test, prerelease, then release on 1.3.1. 

I’d bet, then, that features for 1.4 will have more to do with problems experienced in the MH beta and prerelease than anything else

10 hours ago, fourfa said:

Seems like Making History is in a pretty advanced state of work right now, in 1.3.1. And 1.4 was just recently mentioned for the first time. So it seems safe to bet that MH will go beta test, prerelease, then release on 1.3.1. 

I’d bet, then, that features for 1.4 will have more to do with problems experienced in the MH beta and prerelease than anything else

Unless 1.3.1 stealth added all the necessary updates to the base game to allow the DLC to function, I would be surprised if there is not an update between now and the launch of the DLC. Whether that update is 1.3.2 and only provides support for the DLC (and maybe a bug fix or two while they're at it) or is 1.4 has not been announced as far as I've seen, but I can't see the DLC releasing without an accompanying base game update.

As for the announced nature of 1.4, all we know for sure is the Unity update. The only thing that has been confirmed besides the Unity update and the DLC has been a few additional languages.1.4 could be the very next update with some of that stuff, or its even possible it could be the very last update with all of that stuff. It's really anyone's guess.

I'm not sure there is much remaining to add to KSP. I would like to see, before then end of development, the code opened up to modders enough where they could pretty much do anything they wanted. Some parts of KSP are already set up to allow modders a lot of freedom, like the ability to turn off stock aerodynamics to make aerodynamics mods easy to integrate. I'd love to see as much opened as possible, so that when development does end the community can keep going with as much ease and flexibility as possible.

And who doesn't want more optimizations and better performance?

On 29/10/2017 at 4:40 AM, steve_v said:

Garbage collection stutter fixed.
Excessive memory usage reduced.

Absolutely. Memory utilisation is KSP biggest flaw. It's been said before that the GC stutter is caused by Unity's GC being rather old and the only thing to be done is wait and hope that unity upgrades its GC in a future release. I don't know if this next unity upgrade makes any changes to the GC, but fingers are crossed!  

GC issues and bug fixes are the only things I care about for the next release. 

In 1.4 I'd like to see a lot of visual upgrades (the base game is really showing its age now & looks pretty bad tbh. I cant play it anymore without SVE & EVE.)

Also it would be really nice if they would add in some kind of life support requirement to the base game. I feel like its really lacking that. When 1.0 came out I said that the 2 main things the game was missing (beside visual upgrades) were a stock comm system & stock life support. They added the comms in 1.2, so I'm hoping soon they will add life support.

(Caveat:  The following statements are just my personal thoughts, based on my general observations of the industry from having worked in it for a couple of decades.  I'm not basing this on any "insider information"-- I don't work for Squad and don't have any more visibility into their internal operations than you do.)

As several folks in this thread have already suggested:  I wouldn't hold my breath for any more significant features in the stock game.  That revenue stream has basically dried up by now, so they'd be foolish to plow large amounts of money into developing stuff that won't pay anything.

My assumption is that from now on, the new feature development will basically all be DLC.  I would expect them to leave the stock game alone... except where necessary to make changes to support DLC.  Bug fixes; moddability updates to enable DLC; and perhaps localization into more languages.  My guess is that that'll basically be it.

The good news is that this may open up new areas for modders.  KSP is an exceptionally moddable game... but it still has plenty of inaccessible spots, where it's physically not possible to mod a certain aspect because things are hard-coded in a way that prevents it.  If they want to ship a DLC that does some cool new thing, and the stock game doesn't allow that cool thing... they'll want to patch the stock game to enable that.  And opening the door to the DLC likely means opening the door to mods, too.  So that seems like fertile ground.

On 10/28/2017 at 3:11 PM, Ultimate Steve said:

Take Two bought KSP for a reason.

And that reason would be money, the same reason that basically any company ever does anything.  Presumably that would be all the money yet to be made in paid expansion packs.  My guess would be that the T2 acquisition is an indicator that Kerbal packs will be coming out for a while.

On 10/28/2017 at 3:11 PM, Ultimate Steve said:

Whether that is in more expansions or actual updates is the question... Or maybe even another game in the KSP series...

I'd be astonished if there are any significant new features added to the stock game, for reasons discussed above.  I assume they intend to keep it going via DLC sales.

Will there ever be a KSP 2?  Maybe... but my guess would be not for a good long while, if ever.  Developing a brand new game from scratch is incredibly expensive, and requires a huge investment of capital up front before you can start selling it and try to make that money back.  Given that KSP is already developed and sitting right there... from a developer's perspective, selling DLC is an attractive option.  It's a lot less time and effort to develop DLC that adds features to an existing game than it is to build a game from scratch, and the risk is a lot lower:  Invest a (relatively) little, then sell it and reap rewards.  Repeat.

My guess is that KSP 2 wouldn't be on the table until the DLC well starts to run dry, and my guess is that so far we've just scratched the surface there.

15 minutes ago, RedPandaz said:

Why would the KSP revenue stream be drying up?

Because new sales of the game have likely dried up. This is supported in part by the anger over the console version as well as the move to create a new DLC. The console release was an absolute mess from what I've seen and that sort of bad will is very hard to recover from.

E: Bottom line: If you can make more potential money from a DLC than continuing to update only the base game, then you do that, especially now that your game is "in production". Everyone who was interested enough in KSP to buy it probably already has and, while you may see new players appear, that number of new arrivals is going to diminish over time. Better to monetize the playerbase you already have with DLC or other merch.

Edited by regex

Saw the OP, and I'm immediately saying this, multiplayer. good multiplayer. Like DMP with optimization and good servers. i think it will bring Squad income as people will invite their friends to play and overall have a good time. How cool will it be to compete with friends in a career server?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.