Eve Landing Site

Xyphos

Eve is very easy to get to, requiring the least amount of dV of all the other celestial bodies, it has a very dense atmosphere starting at 90kM and very high gravity, making a return trip from the surface very challenging. Eve's rotational period is approximately 55 m/s so you won't gain any benifits from landing near the equator. instead, because of the high gravity and dense atmosphere, it is better to land somewhere high up where the pressure isn't as bad as sea-level.

Here, I planted a flag at the highest point I could find:
0s60FlK.jpg

To find this location, look for the 5 craters shown here:
UcOv3wO.png

Then locate the small peninsula just East of there, as marked by MechJeb:
QQLXYFw.png

The landing site should be big enough for most vessels with a slight slope, but be careful not to venture too far north as there is a 3km slope that will RUD your vessel quite easily (the slope is somewhat shown in the first picture above, behind the flag, it's a really nasty drop.)

It isn' t necessarily uber duper difficult if you know what your doing. But landing there can be as equally difficult to designing the lander, aerobraking setup and lifter itself.
So designing something that can glide (or pinpoint if your B, O double S) is one of those extra designer challenges and can be as difficult engineering wise as the launcher. In actual gaming time (rl time) you might be more efficient building a launcher that goes from 1-2km above msl rather then one that does it from 8km up. Otherwise you'll spent more time designing something that can get there (i.e. gliding) and testing said function.

But rl time is usually not the criteria, funds and part count usually is, just saying.
I have never done this but seen a few grand tour mission by people using Eve's peak for obvious reasons. Especially for grand tours I would advice this location as it will make the whole adventure a whole lot less complicated.

I' ve also seen stratenblitz (whom is insane) make a TSTO contraption where the 2nd stage was used to rendezvous in sub orbit with a spent 1st stage that lifted from the mountain creating a actual reusable system. 

It are actually such kind of (ab) uses where I consider the altitude boost a actual asset. For some designs it allows you to create something to it' s limits and can get users to build things like stratenblitz did. In other scenarios it's just a boost that will only reduce the weight and complexity of a actual Eve mission while adding in design complexity and time spent to build it.
So especially people running low end desktop rigs more in the ballpark of potato's will be able to create lighter and less complex Eve rigs using the peak, making Eve missions viable on potato's with less stutter. I don' t got a potato so I land at 1km + elevations usually having a higher part count.

Edited by Helmetman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.