Seperate Missions for planets

Hello!

I think it might be a great idea to introduce a different way of dispatching missions in KSP. What we've got now are a couple of missions that are dependable on our progress throughout the game and as soon as we lunch more difficult missions we are forced to travel great distances. Moreover it is hard to focus on one planet and then move to the other as missions available are requiring us to travel to many different places. For example we move to Duna and next missions will be about Eve etc.

I think it would be great if we could have a seperations for missions; for example we can have 5 for Kerbin 5 for Mun 5 for Minimus 5 for Duna 5 for Gilly etc. you get the idea.

I believe it could make our exploration more fun and also will leave us with possibility to go where we really want to and also will not leave us with some useless rocket or plane projects that were useful for Kerbin/Mun but we cannot use them because we have many missions focusing on other planets.

I think having more missions that could be seperated to different tabs (just like the way or a similar way we have in Research and Development archieve) would be a much better way to distribute missions to players as I personally miss some trivial missions that I could find in the beginning and every time I want to do some of these I start a new career.

Also as we discover new planets and get some science points and discover new parts I think it could be great to have an opportunity to use them on more trivial missions around Kerbin.

So, what do you think?

Discussion of this has happened a few times before. A very welcome part of a career mode overhaul would be the ability to have missions and rewards bound to specified planets, such as: if you have mod engines that run on a fancy resource, the tech tree node for them can only be opened by bringing home some of that resource, or a sample from a specific biome on a specific planet as opposed to just throwing science points at it.

Hi, Foxy, welcome to the board. You've hit upon something that has long been a central issue with the game, which is a lack of visual structure to career mode. Exploring each body actually is split up into 4 different missions. Right now as things are the main sequence of the game, that is executing flybys, orbits, landings, and planting flags on the various worlds, have been held back in World First contracts. They're almost entirely linear, with only one appearing in Mission Control at any given time, which is, I think, what you are seeing and what is understandably giving you a bit of heartburn. The first thing to know is not to worry--you can go anywhere, anytime, and flyby, orbit, and land as you wish and you will get spontaneous rewards. Go forth and prosper. The way Mission Control is structured, however, will give you no indication that this is true. This main quest to the game is almost entirely invisible to the player which is the main problem. These headline World First missions, where they have visited and to what extent, should be up-front and center and visible to the player when they open the game so they can track their real progress. 

Thank you for your kind responses. 

Having the ability to choose on variety  of missions that would allow us to visit places we want to go would be a great improvement.

I understand that I can always go wherever I want but it will not be profitable. Moreover I was focusing on tourist missions and I have some good projects I wish I could use but the missions available for me are focused on discovering different planets, drilling rescue missions on distant orbits etc.

Anyway,  are developers already planning to introduce new mission control system?

Thank you again for your answers

Edited by Foxy1992

3 hours ago, Foxy1992 said:

I understand that I can always go wherever I want but it will not be profitable. Moreover I was focusing on tourist missions and I have some good projects I wish I could use but the missions available for me are focused on discovering different planets, drilling rescue missions on distant orbits etc.

Gotcha. Yeah it depends on what you want to do. Like if you've flown by the Mun or Minmus but haven't landed then landing will still get you money whether there's an open contract or not, but once you've planted a flag and returned home that world is 'complete' with respect to world firsts. Usually though contracts to send tourists and collect science and plant flags will re-occur for the moons. I've also accidentally prolonged the period in which they're focusing on moon exploration by using a re-usable lander. If your lander returns to a space station rather than going all the way home (you can transfer the crew and whatever science you've collected with a shuttle) then the world first for landing and returning never completes and the game wont move on to the other planets. You can hold these open as long as you like. Its a little janky but it works!

Hey! A very cool idea! I haven't thought about it before. However, having a couple of missions for each place would make it a little bit more diversive. Kerbal has a big world and it's a little pain having only a few missions availabe at the time. 

A panel allowing us to choose between types of missions and places to go could make it a little bit diversive.

Also at the beginnig there are lots of interesting and somehow challenging missions on Kerbin which I would like to do using new technologies: like building some planes that would allow me to do research on different places of Kerbin but as soon as I get the technologies - which have to be unlocked by exploration - the game forces me to go further.

I'm sure you get the idea. Thank you for your response and providing me with a workaround.

I just wanted to make a suggestion and I'm looking forward to giving you new ideas. Very well, let 's hope that we will have it somehow one day :)

Thanks again for your welcome! 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.