Simple Translations Illegal

39 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

@JPLRepo the link you have given is password protected

But I can give you a very simple description of the problem which is: single character localizations (like  ) cause  KSP 1.3.1 to crash on startup.

What link is locked?

I gave the link to how to report bugs.. and the link to the public bug tracker.

Regardless, bugs must be reported on the bug tracker for QA to triage and put into the bug fix pipeline.

On 2017/10/31 at 3:39 AM, 王小谦同学 said:

I am the translator of CRP(CommunityResourcesPack) but soon me and modder find out that single Chinese character and empty character is illegal, which makes a big problem for translation, like word 'water', I think the same thing would happen to Japenese.

"single Chinese character and empty character is illegal"? I guess you meant they appear to be "invalid"?

14 hours ago, kerbalidea said:

"single Chinese character and empty character is illegal"? I guess you meant they appear to be "invalid"?

Not exactly ... There are language laws in China that make it illegal (in the sense of against the law) to have certain combination of Chinese characters in advertisements, news papers, restaurant signs and yes, even video games

There was a backlash on reddit and other sites concerning this where most people from western society have sluffed it off as "oh, they're just angry that Squad has capitulated to 'politically correct' crowd" which is not the case ... some of the translations in KSP are straight out illegal in China (not criminally as I understand it)

It was explained to me by a good friend of mine who grew up in Sichuan Province (China) that it's akin to advertising standards in the US or Canada but not quite and also much more ... I'm still unclear as to what the issue is but it is much more than just a cultural thing as many have alluded to

Hope this brings some clarity to the issue :)

16 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Not exactly ... There are language laws in China that make it illegal (in the sense of against the law) to have certain combination of Chinese characters in advertisements, news papers, restaurant signs and yes, even video games

There was a backlash on reddit and other sites concerning this where most people from western society have sluffed it off as "oh, they're just angry that Squad has capitulated to 'politically correct' crowd" which is not the case ... some of the translations in KSP are straight out illegal in China (not criminally as I understand it)

It was explained to me by a good friend of mine who grew up in Sichuan Province (China) that it's akin to advertising standards in the US or Canada but not quite and also much more ... I'm still unclear as to what the issue is but it is much more than just a cultural thing as many have alluded to

Hope this brings some clarity to the issue :)

From our test, Chinese character 土 and 水 is illegal, but they means soil and water, this may because of other problem.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.