CPU heats up FAST when trying to play KSP

Hi all, I have noticed that when I try to play KSP my CPU temps go through the roof. It happens just from loading the game I don't even have to start the game. While sitting on the menu page even the temps climb. It takes only 5 min for my temps to go from the 60's into the 90's. I am running it on an ACER laptop with an i5 CPU and NVIDIA gtx 730M graphics card. 

I have tried making sure the game is actually using the graphics card by going through the NVIDIA control panel (not sure if it actually is though), I have tried limiting the amount my CPU is allowed to use by going through the power management settings but that doesn't seem to have any effect.

K.S.P. Is VERY C.P.U. Intensive, due to all of the physics that have to be processed. My guess is that you may have dust or your computers heat expelliation port blocked. You may want to take an air duster can and clean out you exhaust and intake ports. Dust can easily get stuck inside your heat pipes withen the laptop if not cleaned regularly. I would check if that is the issue.

Graphics have (almost) nothing to do with CPU heat, it's the calculation. KSP is very CPU intensive, it's its current bottleneck for performance.
A laptap is heated very fast, and most laptops are set to a run temp of 80 degree, when it get's hotter, it will cool the most, however, when that's not enough, it will drop performance. Cooling is minimalized when under those temp.

So I have updated all my drivers and launch ksp through the nvidia utility. I have also checked for dirt and dust and found none. One of these has helped keep my temps in check. They still run higher than I think they should though. I have downloaded intel ETX and stress tested my CPU and even running the CPU at 100% for 15min the temps were better than what they are during ksp. 

Next I'm going to stress test the GPU and see if that is contributing to the heat. 

I’m having a debate weather its sub par laptop cooling or you have some sort of program that runs in the background and causes lag. I still think that you should use some compressed air (LOW PSI or your beautiful laptop will be ripped apart) to blow into the intake and exhaust, because dust will catch on internal circuits and the radiator fins and the tangled mess of heat pipes. That’s just my thought though.

What are your idle tempattures? (CPU,GPU)

What is your idle usage percentage? (CPU,GPU,RAM)

You can get this information by clicking Control+Alt+Delete then clicking on “Task manager” then clicking show more, then click around until you find all of the pretty graphs and stuff. But you seem pretty tech savvy so you probbly already this.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.