[1.7 - 1.9] Kourageous Tourists - tiny mod making tourists less helpless

whale_2

This tiny mod empowers your every day tourists for much more kourageous adventures. With a little bit of training they finally can disembark the space (and other types of) craft. For their efforts not to be left forgotten, they can picture themselves in the most distant places imaginable. And last, but not least - they're willing to pay some good money for their entertainment.

* NEW - SkyDiving contracts! *

* Also NEW * - to unlock SkyDiving contracts you must * BUZZ THE TOWER * First! 

a10lzc8.png

Sample of picture of group of tourists visiting a Mün base. Note those happy faces.

Some more screenshots:

Spoiler

MX1re6e.png

Some extra text messages

ncjpQgn.png

Finally an evidence that this is really a tourist 

Now, some technical details.

This mod temporarily promotes tourists to crew members in order to allow them go EVA. However, actual EVA ability is restricted based on current tourist experience level and vessel situation. These restrictions are configurable with defaults as follows:

Level EVA allowed when Jetpack
0 Landed on Kerbin; not moving No
1 Landed or Splashed on Kerbin, Landed on Mün or Minmus; surface speed below 1 m/s No
2 Landed or Splashed anywhere; surface speed below 3 m/s No
3 Landed or Splashed anywhere or being on stable orbit; no speed restrictions No
4 Landed or Splashed anywhere or being on stable orbit; no speed restrictions Yes

Level 5 tourists, if they survived to this, can do basically everything. Tourists gain experience just like regular crew, so for training them to level one, just take them to orbital spaceflight around Kerbin and recover. Level 2 could be obtained by Mün/Minmus landings and this is enough for every possible contract destination. You can also train them onsite using facilities that provide Level up crew function, albeit it does not seem safe enough.

Jetpack fuel is drained if tourist level does not allow using it. Tourists still can not perform things like taking surface samples, collect experiment data or pilot ships, however they can carry stuff if KIS is installed and can take photos of themselves. All kerbals in the scene will notice that and express some emotions depending on their courage and stupidity levels. The photo could be found in standard screenshot directory and looks like Glerina Kerman-Mun-17-03-01-12:06:18.png, i.e. file name contains the name of the kerbal taking photo, planetary body and time when it was taken.  

This mod also adds three new types of contracts that depend on tourists ability to de-board the vessel. 

• Walking on the surface of celestial body
  • Taking picture of tourist group when they walk on the surface of celestial body
  • Taking picture of tourist group when they stay nearby some point of interest (currently anomalies on Kerbin and Mün; exact location is not given, only some hints; make use of your scanners)

Needless to say that all contracts require safe recovery of all involved tourists.

Mod Compatibility

This mod was tested and found compatible with following EVA-related mods:

With latest version of EVA Fuel, the jetpack fuel that was drained from vessel's tanks, is returned back, in previous versions it would be lost. Kudos to @linuxgurugamer for adding a patch for this.

EVA Follower is rather old mod, but is very handy and was rebuilt for 1.3, look it up in the end of the forum thread.

Tourists can also add some charm and style to their selfies by opting to Araym's Stock-alike Advanced Suits

Issues

Contract rewards are bit skewed, please suggest some improvements.

Please report if you find any other issue. Bugs could be fixed faster if you provide your log file when debug is turned on - see GameData/KourageousTourists/Kourage.cfg 

Development thread (if of any interest) can be found  here

Changelog

Spoiler

Ver 0.5.2

This release fixes some minor bugs, but also makes sky diving contracts unlock only after you've buzzed the tower.
Added two config options:

noSkyDiving - to completely disable skydiving contracts
forceTouristsInSandbox - for enabling the mod in sandbox mode (normally disabled)

Ver 0.5.1
Bugfix - Nobody Home

Fix (again) stupid bug when everyone has left the vessel and contract conditions should be checked

Ver 0.5.0

Long-awaited (at least for some of us) update for recent KSP versions (1.7 - 1.9)

SkyDiving contracts - now you can enjoy throwing kerbals out of your aircraft or helicopter or even a rocket. Parachute will be deployed automatically.

However, you should keep them in the vicinity, otherwise the game won't let them land safely.

Ver 0.4.1

Bugfix release:

Bugfixes:

- Fixed stupid bug when contracts was not displayed properly in Mission Control
- Fixed situation when everyone left the vessel for excursion.

Ver 0.4.0

Hotfix release

Bugfixes:

- Fixed ugly bug in FixedUpdate that was spamming log file.
- Fixed UFO being on Kerbin instead of Mun

Ver 0.4

First proper release.

Bugfixes:

- Fixed weird game behavior when high gee contract is completed. Tourists promoted to crew make stock high gee contract to screw the game in the moment the contract is completed. Now they are converted back to tourists when they approach G-force limit and restored when it is safe.

Ver 0.3

Features:

- New contract - some tourists want to get a picture of themselves in front of some unusual objects.

Ver. 0.2

This is still pre-release, however most things should work.

Fixes:

- Fixed contract persistence between saves and loads

Features:

- New contract - some tourists want to get a picture of themselves in some extrakerbestrial environment.

Ver. 0.1

This is the first pre-release, be warned.

Features:

- Tourists are granted EVA permission in different situations based on their level
- When tourist goes on EVA, Jetpack fuel is drained out on lower levels
- Tourists can take photos; when photo is taken, all kerbals in the scene are likely to express some emotions. Photos can be found in standard 'Screenshot' folder.
- One contract type is available - it requires to let some tourists to set foot on celestial bodies you have visited

Compatibility:
The mod was tested and found to be compatible with:

- EVA Follower
- EVA Enhancements

Issues:

- EVA Fuel; At the moment fuel, transferred from the vessel, a tourists goes on EVA from, will be lost. Patch for EVA Fuel was discussed with its current maintainer and PR was sent.

Future improvements

I'd like to have real selfie-stick KIS prop, but lack modelling skills to make it. If you feel like you could do it, please contact me.

Also, contract suggestions (or any other suggestions) are welcome.

Side effect

With ability to board and de-board vessels, you can really seize re-usability. See inside:

Spoiler

KzGRQXD.png

Tourists boarding the excursion vessel.

Source code

on GitHub

License (MIT)

Download

Releases on GitHub, on CurseForge, on SpaceDock

Latest release is 0.5.2

Happy planetary vacations!

Edited by whale_2

@whale_2 The tryout fell short, during the loading screen I got the console spammed with :

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at FlightGlobals.get_ActiveVessel () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at KourageousTourists.KourageousTouristsAddOn.checkApproachingGeeLimit () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at KourageousTourists.KourageousTouristsAddOn.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Tried on KSP 1.3.1 (stock) with Windows 10. Here is a "full" (I alt-F4 during the loading) log.

8 hours ago, whale_2 said:

Sorry for that, please try 0.4.0, should be fixed there.

It does, thanks. No more log spam and the contract shows up, haven't tested further than that yet.

A little suggestion : could you add in the contract description that the tourist need to be at x level, maybe show it as one of the objective of the contract ?

3 minutes ago, Li0n said:

A little suggestion : could you add in the contract description that the tourist need to be at x level, maybe show it as one of the objective of the contract ?

Good point, thanks!

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, lBoBl said:

Wow, is this compatible with the Tourism Plus mod ? Cause I always found this pointless to bring kerbals on some gas giant's grand tour while they had to stay in their tin can all the time.

Not really. I looked into Tourism Plus when was writing the contact part and found I don't know how to fit into that. As far as I was able to understand, Tourism Plus "anonymizes" tourists - they are "loaded" into the vessel on launch and vanish on recovery, while in KT you have to know them better - guide through training process at least. Also, I selfishly made this mod to fit my own way of playing - I usually don't recover my space planes, I park them, refuel and fly again. One part that was clearly missing here is the possibility to board and de-board vessels when you are a tourist, so I fixed this :)
However, I think you can try to combine both mods, you may need parts that allow leveling up in-flight, some Planetary Base modules can do this, then you can walk tourists outside if they got their stars. Most likely contract systems won't work together, but at least you could have fun with EVA and smiling tourists.

Ok, well yeah I could probably find a way to have them level up on site, but yeah it's a shame that Tourism Plus makes tourist vanish on recovery. It would be more fun to see the same guys come back... I don't know exactly why it does that but I would guess that it has something to do with the prompt menu on the runway where you can spawn the tourists right inside your vessel.

I know a way around but it's not super efficient and you have to do it for each tourist individually. Basically you have to delete the tourists generated by Tourism Plus and spawn a new tourist with the same name with the cheat menu. This one won't vanish on recovery, I noticed that before when trying to debug my contracts.

Anyways, thanks for your answer and I may look into tourism plus to see if I can do something about it for myself.

Edited by lBoBl

6 minutes ago, lBoBl said:

Ok, well yeah I could probably find a way to have them level up on site, but yeah it's a shame that Tourism Plus makes tourist vanish on recovery.

My guess it is because of mass tourism business model :) 

I happily introduced in my suits pack a dedicated "enhanced tourist suit" once I discovered your mod, @whale_2.

I hope do not mind if I pop here a notice and a link, just because since I made that suit, your mod has a place on the "supported mod" of my choice :D:wink:

7 minutes ago, Araym said:

I happily introduced in my suits pack a dedicated "enhanced tourist suit" once I discovered your mod, @whale_2.

I hope do not mind if I pop here a notice and a link, just because since I made that suit, your mod has a place on the "supported mod" of my choice :D:wink:

Oh, that's nice! Not only I don't mind, but very much welcome that.
Think I need these suits for my own game, I have about 12 tourists waiting their adventure, they would love taking selfies in shiny new suits :)

Added the link to the main post as well.

• 1 month later...

Quick Question, does this mod work for 1.4.x? I kinda just need the basic functionality for moving some kerbals off a plane. Sheesh Tourists are useless.

[EDIT]

IT DO!

lol

Anyway kerbals seem to be able to EVA

Edited by Mark Kerbin

49 minutes ago, Mark Kerbin said:

Quick Question, does this mod work for 1.4.x? I kinda just need the basic functionality for moving some kerbals off a plane. Sheesh Tourists are useless.

[EDIT]

IT DO!

lol

Anyway kerbals seem to be able to EVA

32 minutes ago, Mark Kerbin said:

@whale_2 May i suggest adding in "parasailing contracts" because why not?

Well, I hope it would require a mere recompiling, which I'll do soon, probably on the weekend. 

Parasailing contracts could make sense. I didn't look yet into KSP 1.4.x and how the game detects and reports if kerbal is parachuting but anyway this seems reasonable.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.