Texture change for 3.75m

Since now we know that tanks in Making HIstory will have two textures for us to choose from, I'm okay with this thread. An option to change the look. (but as always, there is a mod for that)

However, do you know why SLS now looks like this? Because paint is heavy. This is exactly why there was only one shuttle launch with  external tank painted white.

Well, the sls core stage is about 8.4 meters diameter or thereabout. So the argument that it should be a model for ksp parts is.... tell me? That said, I do like the looks though, I wouldn't discard this suggestion.

Anyway,

As argumented by Aziz, the white (latex) paint was heavy.
So that's why NASA removed it on the SLS also. Otherwise those fancy tanks of yours on the pic would be white like my teeth.

In KSP textures don't matter. You can have it added with a texture or part mod without changing it's mass.
By all means, a orange cryogenic foam and spray on insulated ET tank is sufficient without the white spray. Hence why they left it orange on most STS missions.

Adding to this, it's not really a thing in KSP. The ET and cryogenic SLS tanks come in said colours due to the insulation equipment required to cool the liquid hydrogen. 

In KSP, there is no freaking liquid hydrogen!! Unless you install the cryo tanks and engine mods by Nertea ofcourse, but that's a different story.

By all means, you may ask yourself why the Jumbo 64 tank is orange in stock ksp. Probably because it is, but one may argument.

31 minutes ago, Capt Snuggler said:

the longer they leave this the more resistance there will be from corners of the community. they need to be replaced now before too many more people ( @Majorjim!) get emotionally attached to the ugly parts.

You mean people like Squad employees?  Remember, none of the art is considered placeholder and the DLC is designed to work well with all the current parts.

Spoiler

600px-X200-32_FT.png

tumblr_inline_oyv17a75Zy1rr2wit_540.jpg

Just now, klgraham1013 said:

You mean people like Squad employees?  Remember, none of the art is considered placeholder and the DLC is designed to work well with all the current parts.

Reveal hidden contents

600px-X200-32_FT.png

tumblr_inline_oyv17a75Zy1rr2wit_540.jpg

yes them too :P

and WOW that comparison is so jarring!!! need to post that every where repeatedly and stir up an old fashioned community frenzy. that's the only way to get things changed around here. :wink:

27 minutes ago, Capt Snuggler said:

yes them too :P

and WOW that comparison is so jarring!!! need to post that every where repeatedly and stir up an old fashioned community frenzy. that's the only way to get things changed around here. :wink:

I can make up a good comparison image.  Though, at this point, I have more faith in an unpaid Ven doing this in his spare time than Squad.

I am of an opinion that an art pass would have brought in more costumers, and be much easier to advertise, than a Unity update.

WY0nFoN.png

Edited by klgraham1013

3 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

I can make up a good comparison image.  Though, at this point, I have more faith in an unpaid Ven doing this in his spare time than Squad.

I am of an opinion that an art pass would have brought in more costumers, and be much easier to advertise, than a Unity update.

WY0nFoN.png

I'd put rocket fuel in left tanks, and some sardines in right tin cans.

Just sayin'

19 hours ago, Capt Snuggler said:

the longer they leave this the more resistance there will be from corners of the community. they need to be replaced now before too many more people ( @Majorjim!) get emotionally attached to the ugly parts.

I want better looking parts though. I'm not playing until the game is finished remember, plus I'm not missing it so they can take their time. :cool:

18 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

WY0nFoN.png

Also, how hard is it to change a few very basic models like this?? @SQUAD a dedicated modder could do this in a day or two..

10 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

Squad really backed itself into a corner with this 'found in a juck yard' ethos to stock parts. It's too restrictive and should be scrapped, so to speak. :D

...but they didn't.  They added the sleek Porkjet plane parts and the NASA parts.  The real issues comes from a complete lack of aesthetic consistency. 

Edited by klgraham1013

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.