The KSP Caveman Challenge 1.3.x - 1.10.x [re-booted]

5 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Hey, @MinimalMinmus, @dvader, and I have all done them as part of Corundum/Diamond/NCD runs.

I was really dumbfounded that I'd missed spotting those.. (I have a special fondness for crewed Minmus landings for some reason) so I went back through all you guy's missions to see just what kind of craft you used for them..

And I found yours and @dvader's crewed Minmus landings, but none for @MinimalMinmus... (only crewed flybys and probe landings), Could you point me at the mission he did that in, please?

6 hours ago, JAFO said:

And I found yours and @dvader's crewed Minmus landings, but none for @MinimalMinmus... (only crewed flybys and probe landings), Could you point me at the mission he did that in, please?

It appears I was mistaken about that one.

Seems like I've been managing to stick my foot in my mouth all over the forums these last couple of days...

4 minutes ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Seems like I've been managing to stick my foot in my mouth all over the forums these last couple of days...

Meh.. as Meatloaf said, 'two out of three ain't bad'.  :)

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:59 PM, dvader said:

What mods do you have installed? The particle effects are some of the nicest I've seen. Like this one with the extra dust/smoke cloud behind it

I have three mods installed. Pood's Calm Nebula Skybox, Sigma Replacements - Skybox, and Reentry Particle Effect. You can find Reentry Particle Effect on Spacedock here.

11 hours ago, The Dunatian said:

I have three mods installed. Pood's Calm Nebula Skybox, Sigma Replacements - Skybox, and Reentry Particle Effect. You can find Reentry Particle Effect on Spacedock here.

Thanks! I am definately getting those particle effects :)

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 2:34 PM, MinimalMinmus said:

What are the changes for 1.5?

I don't see any changes that would affect the challenge save, perhaps, the improved navigation ball. And there isn't anything we can do about that anyway. So unless an issue is brought before me in the future, no changes will be made. If any of you guys spot a potential problem I would be extremely appreciative if you would let me know. (I'm not updating to 1.5 for a while.)

As always challenge attempts will still be accepted from 1.4.x

Edited by The Dunatian

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Challyss said:

Hello everyone.

Is it still a thing for 1.6 ? 

I'm feeling like tryting this, but I don't really want to revert ;)

It had darn well better be a thing, since I've been working on a 1.6 submission of my own.

But yes, it's still a thing. The challenge maintainer is still around, people are still doing it, 1.6 didn't make the challenge substantively different (no new parts, new in-game information, or changes to the tech tree)...

47 minutes ago, Challyss said:

I did though benefit the built-in dV calculator ;)

I'm not too happy about it, but nothing can be done. Limiting submissions to pre-1.6.x would kill the challenge. Now that it's there, however, we can undoubtedly do some great new stuff with it. :)

36 minutes ago, The Dunatian said:

I'm not too happy about it, but nothing can be done.

There is a setting in settings.cfg that doesn't seem to have a radio button in the in-game settings. YOuo could require that be set. However, I'm personally fine with people knowing their dV even in this challenge.

Not sure which, but it's one of these:

DELTAV_CALCULATIONS_ENABLED = True
DELTAV_APP_ENABLED = True

Edited by 5thHorseman

1 hour ago, The Dunatian said:

I'm not too happy about it, but nothing can be done. Limiting submissions to pre-1.6.x would kill the challenge. Now that it's there, however, we can undoubtedly do some great new stuff with it. :)

I'm perfectly fine with it, because it contributes no new information whatsoever. We all know that it's possible to compute delta-V and TWR in the VAB, and it's possible to do the same in flight using the wet mass provided by the map view. It's a nice utility, nothing more - and I still find myself going to pencil, paper, and calculator when doing this challenge.

Edited by IncongruousGoat

14 hours ago, Challyss said:

My submission for a Hard CaveMan !

Everything is in order. Congratulations on completing Topaz! You may claim your badge.

I don't think I've ever seen a similar manned Minmus rocket design. It is very unique. :cool:

13 hours ago, The Dunatian said:

I don't think I've ever seen a similar manned Minmus rocket design. It is very unique. :cool:

Thanks. 

I got the idea from someone else's first stage. I found out the side engines with jettisson tanks is quite efficient.

Nice job, and congratulations, @Challyss!

17 hours ago, The Dunatian said:

3 hours ago, Challyss said:

Thanks. 

I got the idea from someone else's first stage. I found out the side engines with jettisson tanks is quite efficient.

One thing I'm curious about.. the way the photo album finishes, it gives the impression that the Minmus mission was a one-way trip. Is that the case, or did Jeb get to return home?

Edited by JAFO

On 1/5/2019 at 6:05 PM, JAFO said:

One thing I'm curious about.. the way the photo album finishes, it gives the impression that the Minmus mission was a one-way trip. Is that the case, or did Jeb get to return home?

It does come back !

I flew it again to document it. Check the album.

On that one, I missed my encounter (thanks to "Better"WarpTime ;) ) so I had to chase Minmus for a few orbits. 

When leaving the moon, I skept circularization and went for a straight up ascent until my velocity is enough to leave Minmus SOI. I don't know if it would be more efficient than circularization then ejection, but I ended up with a reentry trajectory with still a bit of fuel and a full tank of monopropellant.

I don't know how to share the craft file, if you are interested, let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, zanie420 said:

@The Dunatian, please clarify for me how to start a NCD run please. (HardS then.....) I am confused with the OP and the way it is formatted.

Start with the default Hard settings. Then, under basic difficulty settings, turn every adjustable slider all the way to the left or all the way to the right, whichever is worse. So that's 120% re-entry heating, 10% resource abundance, 0 starting funds, 0 starting science, -1,000 starting rep, 10% science, funds, and rep rewards, 1000% funds and rep penalties, and a decline penalty of 10.

EDIT: Also, best of luck. It's a wicked hard challenge.

Edited by IncongruousGoat

4 hours ago, zanie420 said:

@The Dunatian, please clarify for me how to start a NCD run please. (HardS then.....) I am confused with the OP and the way it is formatted.

I need a new challenge, having just completed @5thHorseman's Kerpollo Challenge

Pretty much what @IncongruousGoat said, select default "hard" settings then manually adjust the following: 120% re-entry heating, 10% resource abundance, Zero starting funds & science points, -1,000 start reputation, 10% science rewards, reputation rewards, & funds rewards, 1,000% funds and reputation penalties, decline penalty of 10.

That said, I do not recommend that anyone new to the challenge try Nano-diamond difficulty level for their first entry. It is insanely hard. You will be overwhelmed and utterly frustrated. It would be much better for you to try an easier level for your first entry, such as Apatite or Vanadium level.

Edited by The Dunatian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.