The KSP Caveman Challenge 1.3.x - 1.10.x [re-booted]

update:

I got ambitious. I took miniaturization, got both Val and Jeb to get a couple drop tanks in orbit, then got Jeb and Bob(on ladder) to a rendezvous with the fuel, and then landed on Minmus.... forgetting that Bob could NOT plant a flag!

Full album coming soon.... I just HAD to share this now!

Edited by zanie420

6 hours ago, zanie420 said:

then got Jeb and Bob(on ladder) to a rendezvous with the fuel, and then landed on Minmus.... forgetting that Bob could NOT plant a flag!

Ouch! Yeah.. I bet you were disappointed to learn he couldn't take a soil sample either.. on the bright side, at least you got an EVA report from the surface, I suppose..

(Interesting looking craft, btw!)

Edited by JAFO

2 minutes ago, ManEatingApe said:

Landing a caveman Kerbal on Minimus is tricky enough...doing it on hard mode, bravo! :o

like I said, LOL, I got ambitious :) 

update, I am farming above Mun contracts for funds and sending probes to Minmus before I decide to go interplanetary..... I am looking at YOU Gilly!

Hey @dvader, I was going over your  Cave Man Progress Report 2 and I am wondering why you got more science for the same reports on Minmus than I do. Like, for instance, the summary for the M10 Minmus Flyby report, the values you are getting are 3 times what I am..... what gives?

15 hours ago, zanie420 said:

Hey @dvader, I was going over your  Cave Man Progress Report 2 and I am wondering why you got more science for the same reports on Minmus than I do. Like, for instance, the summary for the M10 Minmus Flyby report, the values you are getting are 3 times what I am..... what gives?

Are you sure you're looking at the right report and not the Corundum (science at 30%)? Mission 10 for the NCD run was a KSC roving mission and not very exciting.

The first Minmus flyby should be "M15 Minmus" over here: https://imgur.com/a/PJADvIP with 10.8 science for high space. Then there's a M15 Interkerbin for Minmus low space with 16.9 science.

The full NCD thread is here:

I just realized it is a bit messy. I'll see if I can add a new post with links to all the imgur albums in order (I had a hard time finding my first Minmus mission...).

@zanie420 That's strange. I get a link to the post right after I finished NCD.

If you're interested, I've added a summary with links to all mission reports over here https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/175894-caveman-the-making-of-another-nanocrystalline-diamond/

It is at the end of the first post. Hopefully it makes it  a bit easier to follow. I got lost trying to find my own Minmus missions.

I'm looking forward to your next post. The Minmus mission was pretty neat :).

Good luck!

Edited by dvader

7 minutes ago, dvader said:

I'm looking forward to your next post. The Minmus mission was pretty neat :).

Thanks! I totally used your comnet build btw, but was nowhere near as good with placement, and they are way out of sync now :) I just spent a while setting up 3 somewhat geostationary Kerbin relays which should be more reliable LOL. I should go ahead and post, but I want to finish getting science from Minmus first before I do, because then I have another big decision to make. Stay in side Kerbin's SOI or got elsewhere....

16 hours ago, zanie420 said:

Thanks! I totally used your comnet build btw, but was nowhere near as good with placement, and they are way out of sync now :) I just spent a while setting up 3 somewhat geostationary Kerbin relays which should be more reliable LOL. I should go ahead and post, but I want to finish getting science from Minmus first before I do, because then I have another big decision to make. Stay in side Kerbin's SOI or got elsewhere....

I vote leave Kerbin SOI.

Either use the resonant orbit sheet or Kepler equations and it's not that hard. If you opt for Gilly, a neat trick to gain DV is to have a science container in the ship, and 3 goo attached to the ship. Take to goo high/low/high atm for eve, collect and burn them during aerobrake (very mild aerobrake, otherwise you die XD) => boom! 150kg of useless hardware ditched. Same can be done with material bays by using them as thermal shields XD.

Plus Gilly has a greenolith that can be found with a bit of luck.

Beautifull Minimus Ladder mission, btw. I love it.

This nealry tempts me to do a NCD. Nearly...

9 hours ago, Muetdhiver said:

I vote leave Kerbin SOI.

I kind of agree, but I am not sure if I am ready yet. I did just completely drain Minmus and I have to decide now. 

The fourth album is up:

KSP Caveman 1.6 NCD run by zanie420 - part 4

Summary - setup a comsat network, got a few probes to return science from Minmus, setup a geostationary(kinda) comsat network, Jeb got ALL the crew reports from Minmus, sent a behemoth probe to finish collecting all Minmus data, 135 science to spend currently....

all albums together

20 minutes ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Yeah, but you can't control which node they give you. It might even be one in the part of the tech tree you can't unlock by spending science.

With Minmus dry, and faced with farming the Mun like you did, I have nothing to loose. I think I may 'spin the wheel' while I plan my next steps.

While on my KSC Mini and Micro-Biomes recce today, I discovered something of interest to KSP Cavemen.

I'd turned my Building Impact Damage Multiplier up to max and by chance discovered that I could smash buildings with my rover.

Spoiler

Q5p4VJt.png

But lo and behold, the micro-biome KSC Tracking Station Dish North, not present anywhere around the Level 1 Tracking Station before the explosion, was now found in the wreckage.

Spoiler

3PMvp2q.png

Spoiler

CaNqz1y.png

Prior to the explosion, Jeb had scrambled all over the single dish present at Level 1.  He found many a misaligned surface boundary, but no North Dish micro-biome.  But after trashing the dish, it was easy to find.

Didn't bother to see if other micro-biomes would show up upon destruction as I didn't really have the time.  But thought you all would want to hear about this.

Edited by Jacke

14 hours ago, Jacke said:

While on my KSC Mini and Micro-Biomes recce today, I discovered something of interest to KSP Cavemen.

Hmmmm..... interesting. BTW, you inspired me to satisfy the completionist in me and look at any Kerbin/KSC science I might have missed. During this research I discovered Biakerbanur and my previous omission of splashed down science!

15 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Yeah, but you can't control which node they give you. It might even be one in the part of the tech tree you can't unlock by spending science.

Tell me about it... I even optimized my tech tree to maximize the chance of getting 90 nodes and  yeah...  I got Landing from the Minmus Greenolith worth a solid 90 science but Advanced Landing from the Mun Greenolith which is worth nothing. Neither has any useful parts so it was pretty pointless in the end. I am stilled annoyed by it...  The Mun Greenolith was 53 in game days orbiting the Mun and pausing, comparing maps etc whenever a question mark showed up.

@zanie420 Biakerbanur? Are there more mini biomes than on KSC? I haven't checked the new launch pads... maybe...

3 hours ago, dvader said:

@zanie420 Biakerbanur? Are there more mini biomes than on KSC? I haven't checked the new launch pads... maybe...

I will be finding out very shortly.... taking forever to fly there even at x4 warp with 2 jets! I am not good at landing, so it took some time to devise a safe parachute landing on both land and water that I was comfortable with.

Edit: the Biakerbanur launchpad is it's own micro biome, but I found no others sadly. Nor the VAB or the dish proved to be separate.

Edit 2: the island airstrip is also a biome, but I could find no micro biomes within sadly. Still good to know for future cavemen 

Edited by zanie420

15 hours ago, zanie420 said:

Hmmmm..... interesting. BTW, you inspired me to satisfy the completionist in me and look at any Kerbin/KSC science I might have missed. During this research I discovered Biakerbanur and my previous omission of splashed down science!

With the information I gained on my KSC biome recce, I completed my KSP 1.6 Science Checklists and have made them available here.  Some of these could be helpful for KSP Cavemen.

Corrections and suggestions with documentation are welcome!

Note that the only science I've found for KSC are all for Situation Surface Landed.  As far as I can tell, on leaving the ground and no longer touching the ground or buildings in KSC, the biome is Shores and the Situation is Flying Low.  There's no Situation Surface Splashed, even in the level 3 Administration Complex's pond.

2 hours ago, Jacke said:

Note that the only science I've found for KSC are all for Situation Surface Landed.  As far as I can tell, on leaving the ground and no longer touching the ground or buildings in KSC, the biome is Shores and the Situation is Flying Low.  There's no Situation Surface Splashed, even in the level 3 Administration Complex's pond.

You can get a crew report and temp reading while flying over the various KSC mini biomes, including the 3 main buildings accessible at level 1. I perfected this by using a standard dual command pod roller, and assigning the science gear to the RCS key. By spin very fast and spamming R, I could eventually produce the unique 'flying over' situation.

Update: Boy did I need a break from orbital rendezvousing.  I never even left Kerbin yesterday, being obsessed with squeezing every last drop of science from it. Took aviation and decided to see if I could make it pay for itself by getting another 45 science from home(I did). Built a long range science jet for 2, and took Bob everywhere a biome had a lake/river intersecting it. Splashed down science was something I could have gotten much earlier and I am certain it would have changed my early game. I am currently furiously clicking refresh above Minmus looking for anamolies......

22 hours ago, dvader said:

Tell me about it... I even optimized my tech tree to maximize the chance of getting 90 nodes and  yeah...  I got Landing from the Minmus Greenolith worth a solid 90 science but Advanced Landing from the Mun Greenolith which is worth nothing.

I found the Minmus green monolith.... got Command Modules.... so I feel your pain!

hey @The Dunatian, are we able to use the node/parts acquired from this unlock?

Edited by zanie420

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.