PRISON BREAK - A Community Short Story

Piatzin

Yes, I am aware that this type of thread already exists - where the users add words or offer paths that the next user can elaborate upon, thus creating a story. Usually, we end up with a comically convoluted 'plot' that makes little sense and changes every few pages.

In this thread, I would like to do something similar, but change it so that the story has a clear 'goal' and the users can elaborate a little more than by just adding a few words. For example:

Assume we make this thread about a person who is trapped in, say, a space prison. No background information is added regarding the reason for the protagonist's imprisonment. The goal of this thread would be to collectively 'write' a short story during which the protagonist escapes and gains his freedom. In the end, I would like to compile the entire story and edit it so that it is all in one piece, and then share it somewhere on the forum with a list of the participants/'authors'

RULES:

Lets try and use the previous example: the protagonist is trapped in a high-security space prison - the reasons/cause for this is irrelevant.

The goal is to get them out of the prison. This will be done in two to three-sentence posts, where each user adds as much to the story as they can fit in two or three decent-sounding sentences.

The next users will decide the path the story takes: they will decide what the prison is like, the level of security, the number of other inmates, the guards, any friends the protagonist might make, etcetera.

Be creative. Not everything has to be dialogue and/or actions. Add descriptions and facts that will elaborate the setting, and try to think up logical things to add - interpret the previous user's post and add to it in a meaningful way. Don't just spam something random in your post. (Though you can certainly do it in small doses). Try to think logically about the situation and how the protagonist can escape.

Don't upload more than one post at a time. Let at least one or two other people add their part before posting again.

Check the previous posts before making changes to the world and/or adding facts, since they may have already been established. Additionally, try to draw things out a bit - don't rush. We don't want the story to end too quickly :D

If this thread becomes popular and receives enough attention, and the story is eventually completed, then I would thoroughly enjoy making a new thread with a different theme. Suggestions are welcome :)

(Also, out of convenience, lets all just refer to the protagonist as 'Kerman.' It makes things easier, I think)

I'll start:

Kerman sat on the iron-hard sheet of steel that he called his bed, staring at the wall with a feeling of helplessness. He heard footsteps, and looked up in time to see one of the armed guards stop before his cell and open the door with a swipe of a card.

Edited by Earthlinger

Now, Johnny Kash never sang about salmonella in the mess hall and they never made a prison movie about mold growing in the showers, but still Prisoner 9041 Kerman knew that this was as good as an opportunity as ever to escape. So, he got up and stepped through the threshold into the main artificial gravity centrifuge of the Bloated Wart Prison.

1 hour ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

:D 

Sorry, off topic. 

Before anyone posts anything else (excluding discussion), I think we should just discuss for a bit and figure out a rough plot/outline that we can stick to

Broad pointers, really. E.g,

Kerman in cell > goes to mess hall > conversation w/other inmates > back to cell > reflections/thinking > mess hall again > physical labour, e.g, digging trenches > etc

That way we avoid being tripped up over where the story is heading to. Thoughts?

Edited by Earthlinger

16 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

Before anyone posts anything else, I think we should just discuss for a bit and figure out a rough plot/outline that we can stick to

Kerman in cell > goes to mess hall > conversation w/other inmates > back to cell > reflections/thinking > mess hall again > physical labour, e.g, digging trenches > etc

That way we avoid being tripped up over where the story is heading to. Thoughts?

You told me not to post again....

But...

Yeah. Sounds good. 

23 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

Before anyone posts anything else, I think we should just discuss for a bit and figure out a rough plot/outline that we can stick to

If you want that, should be in The Lounge rather than Forum Game, as the "game" will have waay too many moderation.

I'm among those who like to spoil plots created by people. Sounds more insane that way.

Edited by YNM

50 minutes ago, YNM said:

If you want that, should be in The Lounge rather than Forum Game, as the "game" will have waay too many moderation.

I'm among those who like to spoil plots created by people. Sounds more insane that way.

Yeah good point. I just don't want the thing to end too quickly, but on reflection, I think it'd be more amusing to have people improvise without a plot.

Continue from here, then :D:

7 hours ago, Earthlinger said:

"Don't even think of escaping," said the guard, practically reading Kerman's thoughts.

Kerman nodded, noting the multitude of guards patrolling the catwalks.

"It's high tech, you do know we run a space prison here and not pigs bay right ? It just looks terrible. You need know no more", continued the guard, hastily locking Kerman in his "new" cell.

Edited by YNM

He opened it, and lo, and behold! A small SSTO liner disguised as a supply ship is waiting for him.

He entered the port, closed the airlock, and went to the cabin. Surprisingly for him, the cabin was empty. He went to the cockpit, and...

"Well, I'd be darned... No one on the cockpit," said Kerman.

"Hello, Mr. Kerman," said a voice.

"I uh, I was just curious," said Kerman quickly, inching away from the cockpit controls.

"I'm sure. We're putting a permanent guard on you. From now on, someone will always be beside you, making sure you don't do anything suspicious."

"Say Hello to the Telescreen, Kerman", the guard says from the ship's PA, his face visible from the monitors of the cockpit. "Now no one will be alone. We'll take you somewhere else to cure you of trying to escape", as Kerman heard roars of thrusters and engines.

Looking frantically at the screens, Kerman was horrified to see that the autopilot had been programmed to send him on a collision course with the moon. He wrestled with the controls, but he was very thoroughly locked out. 

In desparation, he went to the computer and reprogrammed the computer to put him an in orbit on the Moon.

Failing to do so properly (he put it in an escape burn out of Kerbin (or Earth?)), he went to the pilot seat, put on his EVA, and pulled a lever.

EJECT! EJECT! EJECT! called out a computer voice.

He was promptly ejected out of the ship. Then he found a KDI ship just nearby. He boarded it, unloaded his luggage, and opened EVAK (pun on GDI's EVA computer).

The randomness and suddenness of these recent events made him suspect he was dreaming, so he pinched himself hard. A beautiful purple butterfly fluttered past the window and the cows outside began to crow in the early morning sunshine. At this point, Kerman woke up on the iron-hard sheet of steel that he called his bed, staring at the ceiling with a feeling of helplessness. He heard footsteps. 

42 minutes ago, Deddly said:

The randomness and suddenness of these recent events made him suspect he was dreaming, so he pinched himself hard. A beautiful purple butterfly fluttered past the window and the cows outside began to crow in the early morning sunshine. At this point, Kerman woke up on the iron-hard sheet of steel that he called his bed, staring at the ceiling with a feeling of helplessness. He heard footsteps. 

Then, all of a sudden, he heard a loud explosion and the ground beneath him shook. Alarms went off everywhere.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.