Sigma Replacements

Sigma88

16 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

I guess I could make a model replacer but I have no skills in making the actual models so if you know anyone who can make models feel free to tell them to get in contact with me so we can work out something

Well, I'm not the best modeller around (I have more experience with making mechanical devices rather than characters), but I can try to make it. Just need a kerbal head model(s) extracted with all bones that are involved in animations. Er... hope those animations are not baked in model itseld - it would become a trouble.

10 minutes ago, Psycho_zs said:

I'm trying to tilt the skybox with this:

@SigmaReplacements
{
	@SkyBox
	{
		@CubeMap
		{
			@rotate = True
		}
	}
}

Nothing happens. Is something else needed to tilt stock skybox, or the randomness just decided something close to initial orientation?

the syntax is fine

except that you are using @ which is used when editing something, since there are no "SkyBox" nodes that patch will fail

what you want to use is:

@SigmaReplacements
{
	SkyBox
	{
		CubeMap
		{
			rotate = true
		}
	}
}

3 minutes ago, Psycho_zs said:

I also tried '%' before that, which is 'edit or add'

OK, will try this variant

% is fine

let me double check the syntax, I might be remembering it wrong

EDIT: the cfg I posted should work, if you are still having troubles I will need you to send me the mm cachefile and output_log.txt file to look at what is happening in your install

Edited by Sigma88

34 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

% is fine

let me double check the syntax, I might be remembering it wrong

EDIT: the cfg I posted should work, if you are still having troubles I will need you to send me the mm cachefile and output_log.txt file to look at what is happening in your install

Will that rotate the stock skybox, or do you have to have a custom skybox installed?

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

Will that rotate the stock skybox, or do you have to have a custom skybox installed?

it should rotate the skybox regardless of which texture is applied

*should* being the key word here :|

Edited by Sigma88

Oddball question.  I'm working on a custom career mode with much slower development from sounding rockets to open-cockpit flight, to high-altitude flight, to space etc.  I thought one of the TextureReplacer mods might be the right spot to ask, but I'm using GPP and I see this mod is preferred to those, so I'm asking here.

I want a flight mode where Kerbals spawn in their IVA suits (not spacesuits) when the R&D Center has not yet been upgraded and thus EVA in flight is not yet available.  This would be for chairs and open cockpits, optionally with TakeCommand.  Above a certain altitude (for instance where TextureReplacer would automatically switch from IVA to EVA suits) they should remain in the IVA suit, and pass out from lack of oxygen and lose control (exactly as they do from pulling too many Gs).  Switching suit textures should not be available as a tweakable in flight.  After upgrading R&D, kerbals should spawn in EVA suits and survive even into space.

I'm a total nuub and only marginally comfortable hacking with MM patches.  But I just thought I'd put out a quick feeler if something like this is possible or not?

Edited by fourfa

@fourfa, those are some really interesting ideas. The changing of the suits might be possible if the stock UPGRADES system could be applied to non-PART nodes - does anyone know if this is possible? If it worked, the suits would be unlocked in the techtree, not at the astronaut complex though. You inspired me to do an experiment.

Regarding Air pressure - that would certainly require a plugin, so is probably out of scope for this mod, but it should be possible since G-Effects mod does it for G-Loss-of-consciousness.

It would probably be easier to role-play this rule, look up what the minimum survivable air pressure is and do an experiment yourself to find out at what altitude this occurs, and not exceed this, or if you do, take your hands off the controls! 

Edit, alot of the parameters are already accounted for:

Hide contents
Parameter     Type     Description
type Enum The situation where the suit can be used.
Accepted values: EVA, IVA
suitMinPressure Float The pressure range in which the suit can be used.
suitMaxPressure Float
helmetLowPressure Float The pressure range in which the helmet can be removed.
Only active when the atmosphere contains oxygen.
helmetHighPressure Float
jetpackMaxGravity Float The gravity value under which the jetpack is removed.
Edited by Nightside
looking up how this stuff works

1 hour ago, Cheesecake said:

Can I replace TR/TRR with this mod? And what must I do to load a specific Skybox (normally for TR/TRR)? How must the .cfg look and at which folder must the Skybox installed instead of the TR/TRR-Folder? Sorry, I`m no modder, coder...

Here is an example.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kuclkrvdz0c6z6a/NewSky.zip?dl=0

you will need to rename the TR/TRR skybox textures. The folder can be put anywhere inside your GameData folder so long as your texture paths are correct.

Edited by Galileo

So, when I use Poods Skyboxes (NegativeX.png, NegativeY.png,NegativeZ.png, PositiveX.png, PositiveY.png, PositiveZ.png) I must use a config like this?

@SigmaReplacements
{
    SkyBox
    {
        CubeMap
        {
            SkyBox = NewSky/Textures/Negative
          SkyBox = NewSky/Textures/Positive
        }
    }
}

Edit:

OK, I think I understand now. Renaming the Textures...

Edited by Cheesecake

17 minutes ago, Cheesecake said:

So, when I use Poods Skyboxes (NegativeX.png, NegativeY.png,NegativeZ.png, PositiveX.png, PositiveY.png, PositiveZ.png) I must use a config like this?

No, the base name needs to be the same followed by the cube face, so for example:

nameXP, nameXN, nameYP, nameYN, etc. where  the name is always the same.

you only need one path to the textures. 

I recommend replicating what you see exactly in the example I gave you.

Edited by Galileo

Yes, I found out myself.:confused: Thank you.

Edit:
OK, I get it working. Parrtially.
Poods Skybox has two folders. One Default-Folder (GalaxyTex_NegativeX.dds ...) and one EnvMap-Folder (NegativeX.png ...). I have both in the NewSky-Folder. But the .cfg is only for the EnvMap-Folder. Did I forget anything?

@SigmaReplacements
{
    SkyBox
    {
        CubeMap
        {
            SkyBox = NewSky/EnvMap/Negative

}
    }
}

Edited by Cheesecake

On 12/23/2017 at 10:45 AM, Cheesecake said:

Poods Skybox has two folders. One Default-Folder (GalaxyTex_NegativeX.dds ...) and one EnvMap-Folder (NegativeX.png ...). I have both in the NewSky-Folder. But the .cfg is only for the EnvMap-Folder. Did I forget anything?

It didn’t work for me, I don’t think—I got a blotch of Milky Way in one small part of the sky, not too far from the sun (using Galileo’s Planet Pack).  And there were very few apparent stars in other parts of the sky.  If someone can post clear file structure and config contents to get the intended effect, that would be much appreciated.

On 12/28/2017 at 9:37 AM, Citizen247 said:

Can this be used to replace the pressure suit with an oxygen mask? I thought it might be interesting to be able to have aircraft pilots in iva and open canopies have oxygen masks instead of a full pressure suit.

That would require a new model

2 hours ago, meyerweb said:

It didn’t work for me, I don’t think—I got a blotch of Milky Way in one small part of the sky, not too far from the sun (using Galileo’s Planet Pack).  And there were very few apparent stars in other parts of the sky.  If someone can post clear file structure and config contents to get the intended effect, that would be much appreciated.

Look at the skybox cfg that comes with GPP. That’s a really basic set up

21 hours ago, meyerweb said:

Okay, I got mine working, it seems, so I’ll be the one to post this.  This is with Poodmund’s Milky Way skybox, which I downloaded from SpaceDock.

(I say it seems I got it working because the skybox looks a lot darker in game than it does in the SpaceDock screensots.  This may be due to gamma differences between Windows and Macs, but I’m not sure if that’s the case or not.)

First, I created a SkyBox folder in /Sigma/Replacements.  Then I unzipped the file I downloaded from SpaceDock and dropped the contents into SkyBox.

One of the things there is a folder called Default.  It contained the following files:

GalaxyTex_NegativeX.dds
GalaxyTex_NegativeY.dds
GalaxyTex_NegativeZ.dds
GalaxyTex_PositiveX.dds
GalaxyTex_PositiveY.dds
GalaxyTex_PositiveZ.dds

These were renamed to:

GalaxyTexXN.dds
GalaxyTexYN.dds
GalaxyTexZN.dds
GalaxyTexXP.dds
GalaxyTexYP.dds
GalaxyTexZP.dds

Then I went up to /Sigma/Replacements/Settings.cfg and made the contents look like so:

@SigmaReplacements
{
    SkyBox
    {
        CubeMap
        {
            rotate = false // set to true if you want the Milky Way at some angle to the ecliptic
            SkyBox = Sigma/SkyBox/Default/GalaxyTex
        }
    }
}

Now, in the /GPP folder, there’s a GPP_SkyBox folder (which I installed via CKAN) that contains its own settings.cfg.  It was completely unclear whether that would be overridden or would fight with the other skybox configuration or what, so I edited it to:

SigmaReplacements  // this line used to have an @ symbol at the beginning, but I removed it
{
    SkyBox
    {
        CubeMap
        {
            mirror = true
            rotate = true
            SkyBox = GPP/GPP_Skybox/Galileo
        }
    }
}

Besides removing the @ symbol, I left the file’s contents otherwise alone.  As I say, I have no idea if that was necessary or not.  Maybe one of the devs can chime in to clear up this part.

Once I did all that, the Milky Way did show up in my game, albeit seeming rather dim, even when in orbit on the night side of Gael.  But it’s there and the skybox looks complete.

As far as I can tell, the EnvMap folder (and its files) that came in the SpaceDock download are not used by Sigma, but again, hopefully a dev can clear that up.

If there’s a better way to have done all this, and especially if anyone knows why the skybox might look dim on my Mac and how to brighten it up, I’d love to know!

18 hours ago, meyerweb said:

Okay, I got mine working, it seems, so I’ll be the one to post this.  This is with Poodmund’s Milky Way skybox, which I downloaded from SpaceDock

This claim turns out to have been just about 100% false.  There’s a Milky-Way-like skybox in my game, but it’s not the one I chronicled in the previous post.  I believe I know this because I scribbled on all six of the .dds files and one of the PNG files in EnvMap to make sure, and nope, no sky-scribbles in the game.  (Which I quit and relaunched after altering the texture files.)

But my career game is also not showing, so far as I can tell, the GPP-default skybox, so I have no idea WHAT the frell is going on.

If someone else manages to work all this out and can explain it in a way that makes sense to outsiders, I’d very much appreciate it.

21 minutes ago, meyerweb said:

This claim turns out to have been just about 100% false.  There’s a Milky-Way-like skybox in my game, but it’s not the one I chronicled in the previous post.  I believe I know this because I scribbled on all six of the .dds files and one of the PNG files in EnvMap to make sure, and nope, no sky-scribbles in the game.  (Which I quit and relaunched after altering the texture files.)

But my career game is also not showing, so far as I can tell, the GPP-default skybox, so I have no idea WHAT the frell is going on.

If someone else manages to work all this out and can explain it in a way that makes sense to outsiders, I’d very much appreciate it.

Rename Your skybox texture to what GPP names them and replace the files... done. That’s the only thing I can think to tell you

Edited by Galileo

18 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Rename Your skybox texture to what GPP names them and replace the files... done. That’s the only thing I can think to tell you

And put them in which folder (with the full path from KSP root)?

Which of the several settings.cfg files should or should not be changed, and in what ways?  Where should settings.cfg be placed, and should the others be deleted or altered?  If not, how does one ensure that only one of them is actually used?

If you look at my previous detailed post, I actually did rename the files in the pattern you suggested.  If there is something I did wrong in the steps I laid out, it would be helpful to know which.  I’m happy to write out a working guide for newbies, but I can’t do that until I actually get it working myself.

22 minutes ago, meyerweb said:

And put them in which folder (with the full path from KSP root)?

Which of the several settings.cfg files should or should not be changed, and in what ways?  Where should settings.cfg be placed, and should the others be deleted or altered?  If not, how does one ensure that only one of them is actually used?

If you look at my previous detailed post, I actually did rename the files in the pattern you suggested.  If there is something I did wrong in the steps I laid out, it would be helpful to know which.  I’m happy to write out a working guide for newbies, but I can’t do that until I actually get it working myself.

GameData/GPP/GPP_Skybox

the only settings cfg you need to change is the one there, not the one included in SR. And if you are just changing the textures you don’t even need to touch that

Edited by Galileo

3 hours ago, Galileo said:

GameData/GPP/GPP_Skybox

the only settings cfg you need to change is the one there, not the one included in SR. And if you are just changing the textures you don’t even need to touch that

Oh hey!  That worked!  Thank you!

I guess I thought that if Sigma went in its own separate directory, we were supposed to manage the files there.  Lesson learned.

Sadly, now that I get the skybox to load properly, it’s being shown incredibly dark in the game itself, though it seems like it might be correct in the main menu.  This is a screenshot of the galactic center from Poodmund’s Milky Way Skybox with a full-white circle drawn around it, just so I could be sure where it is.  Said white circle is the dim gray hoop in the upper part of the screenshot.  (The one in the lower half of the game is the halo around Gael.)

dim-poodmund.png

But that doesn’t seem to be the fault of this mod, unless it’s trying to do some kind of color- or brightness-correction of DDS files.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.