How do I move a Class E asteroid that is already landed on Kerbin?

aluc24

3 hours ago, JAFO said:

Here's how not to do it.. (and no, I wasn't the culprit.. just a shot from my collection of funny KSP pics - no idea where I found it)

Needs_moar_boosters.png

Are you suggesting that this is a bad place for an asteroid? I see it as a learning opportunity - and an incentive to start building some STOL planes.

4 hours ago, MinimalMinmus said:

Put two (one on each side) modules using klaws on each sides of the asteroid, and make them choke-full of reaction wheels (as well as some power + panels obviously. This way, you can make the big boulder roll.

Oooh! I think @Danny2462 have done that! (On lower gravity world though), but surely it's worth a shot!

9 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

Are you suggesting that this is a bad place for an asteroid? I see it as a learning opportunity - and an incentive to start building some STOL planes.

Not at all.. only that the solution being attempted in that shot is clearly doomed to fail.

Other than that, I just love the smell of desperation wafting out of the image... <evil grin>

Edited by JAFO

On 11/5/2017 at 6:37 PM, softweir said:

Try attaching some drills and ore tanks on the side you want to roll it towards, as high up as you can land them. Activate them, fill the tanks with ore (and fuel) and with luck the asteroid will roll over a bit. Add some more, higher up, detach the first lot, and repeat.

Did anybody else immediate visualize the elephant-on-a-barrel trick from the circus? :confused: LOL

I wouldn't win this potential challenge by points though. My laptop would melt attempting to launch it away from Kerbol... I digress. It would still be fun trying to do the OP's mission.

I'd literally combine a few of these suggestions myself, starting with draining the mass first. Next, attaching gear mechs equipped with multiple RCS and RW blocks to orient the asteroid precisely. Attach them low with another rover (doesn't matter what rover, as long as it's good enough to carry your gear mechs,) such that the closed XL3s lie flat against Kerbin, but will hoist the rock. I would recommend checking the mass tolerance to find out just how many landing gears you need first (I have yet to need them or to know their tolerance.) From here, it's just a matter of math before I'd be equipping it with suitable TWR and pushing away. I really have no idea if this would really work, but yeah. That would be my under-educated guess :P Just shed the attachments when finished and recover whatever is left.

If this mission were to become a challenge, I would suggest it be called "The Roller-'Roid Challenge!"
I almost suggested "The 'Roid Removal Challenge" but that seemed a little too ambiguous. :antinormal:

1. Make a car, name it "PUT ASTEROID HERE", and park it where you want the asteroid.
  2. Rename the asteroid "MOVE ME"
  3. In the persistence file, swap the location variables of the car and the asteroid.
  4. Be prepared* to have some explosions and have to edit the asteroid's height variable up a bit :)

Note: Some will call this "cheating" but you live on a planet where you can get 100% of your craft value back for free by recovering it. Pretend those kind souls also collected that rock for you.

*i.e., make backups, before during and after.

Edited by 5thHorseman

You probably got it back to the KSC already or are building something right now, but try building a giant jet-powered rover on tall stilts (tall enough with landing gear extended to straddle the asteroid, short enough with them retracted to pick it up with a klaw (or twenty)). Use STRONG parts, especially wheels. Set the friction control to 0 or use Kerbal Foundries hoverpads (this makes it a hovercraft basically). Then just drag the thing back to the KSC.

10 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

Almost exactly 3000 tonnes actually. Though only if you use sensible (metric) units.

There are two kinds of countries in the world: Those who use the metric system and those who have walked on the moon :D

-Slashy

1 hour ago, GoSlash27 said:

There are two kinds of countries in the world: Those who use the metric system and those who have walked on the moon :D

Well I suspect the superhuman stubbornness required to continue using an antiquated and thoroughly impractical system of measurements (a system that was originally defined by random, arbitrarily-chosen, and non-absolute values such as the length of three seeds laid end-to-end) probably helped with getting past the challenges of space travel, but certainly so did being one of the wealthiest nations in the world.

1 hour ago, eloquentJane said:

Well I suspect the superhuman stubbornness required to continue using an antiquated and thoroughly impractical system of measurements (a system that was originally defined by random, arbitrarily-chosen, and non-absolute values such as the length of three seeds laid end-to-end) probably helped with getting past the challenges of space travel, but certainly so did being one of the wealthiest nations in the world.

Don't think you'll see too many arguments on those points. However, some things just sound better (and are cooler besides). I don't think you'll ever hear anyone singing about how many KMs they can see or have travelled. Or how many KMs away from their home or their lover they are. And of course, rather than saying I'm 1 point whatever meters tall, I can just say I'm 5'11". And don't get me started on temperatures. If it's 95 out, it's freakin' hot. In Euro-speak that's like 37 or 38 or something, ain't it? That's kinda chilly over here (though not exactly cold by Chicago standards).

I'll give ya liters, though (but not litres, never litres). Quart just doesn't sound as good. Which is why we sell pop in 2-liter bottles instead of 2-quart bottles (which sounds bad) or half-gallon bottles (which makes you sound like a pig at the trough: "Hey, babe, can you pick up a half-gallon of Pepsi on your way home?": that sounds pretty bad).

Edited by Cpt Kerbalkrunch

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2017 at 5:12 PM, eloquentJane said:

How to move 3000 tonnes of solid rock? Moar boosters.

Seriously though, stick a couple of gargantuan boosters to the sides and just fly it like a 3000 tonne VTOL.

Alternatively, see if @Whackjob has any ideas, this kind of engineering seems to be his forte.

Summoning successful!

Me, I think what I'd do is build a giant rover with a grabber on it.  Then simply abscond as necessary.

fPQBKts.png

g2C5o2v.png

That's what I loved most dearly about this game, when I was more active.  I could build and build and build, and nobody could tell me to stop.

On 09/11/2017 at 12:57 PM, GoSlash27 said:

-Slashy

The idea that using imperial units = technological marvels on its own seems ridiculous until you look at GB. Back in the day invented everything, then switched to metric and everyone else is better at using our inventions...

I think you are on to something...

2 minutes ago, FrostedShoe said:

The idea that using imperial units = technological marvels on its own seems ridiculous until you look at GB. Back in the day invented everything, then switched to metric and everyone else is better at using our inventions...

I think you are on to something...

Meh.. GB began the long slide to oblivion when it started shipping its best talent to Australia in 1787.. :wink:

On 11/9/2017 at 7:57 AM, GoSlash27 said:

-Slashy

It was the mountains of money and cold war desperation, not the system they used. Now, there is no money and US has to ask Russia to fly their astronauts to the ISS.

Edited by Kerbital

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.