kis,kas,infernorobits yes or no  

25 members have voted

1. 1. kis,kas,infernorobits yes or no

• yes
    • no :(

3 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

No thanks.

Not something the base game needs.

They are perfectly fine as they are; optional mods.

Because they went to tall the trouble to make kerbals that can walk around, but then they cannot actually do anything at all that is fun/useful? Right click plant flag. Right click EVA report. Boring.

The only fun EVA I ever had was being many km away from my lander in a small rover and it flipped (because KSP physics). It was not going to move, and even at warp >>>> it would have taken forever to return. So I repaired the rover with KIS/KAS. Moved a few parts, including one wheel so it would balance on 3 and drove back to my ride home.

The full range of all 3 mods is not needed, but elements certainly are needed.

Take small rovers---like the rovers used in Apollo. they were not delivered via a sky crane. They were assembled.

7 minutes ago, tater said:

Because they went to tall the trouble to make kerbals that can walk around, but then they cannot actually do anything at all that is fun/useful? Right click plant flag. Right click EVA report. Boring.

The only fun EVA I ever had was being many km away from my lander in a small rover and it flipped (because KSP physics). It was not going to move, and even at warp >>>> it would have taken forever to return. So I repaired the rover with KIS/KAS. Moved a few parts, including one wheel so it would balance on 3 and drove back to my ride home.

The full range of all 3 mods is not needed, but elements certainly are needed.

Take small rovers---like the rovers used in Apollo. they were not delivered via a sky crane. They were assembled.

You are certainly welcome to your opinion of what KSP is/should be/what is fun, but you can't expect everyone to feel the same.

I've tried both KIS/KAS and didn't personally feel it added anything "fun" to the game experience for me. It's OK for us to have different opinions on this, if we all agreed THAT would be weird; which is what mods are for, things we can't all agree on adding to the game.

An "unpackable" rover could be achieved in the stock game via a simple part with a right click menu option to "unpack" or "assemble" it. Alternatively; smaller docking ports, and stock hinges/folding arms would also allow us to design our own. Adding inventories to Kerbals and a whole slew of new mechanics/parts just so we can have Apollo faithful rovers seems like a bit of overkill.

27 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

You are certainly welcome to your opinion of what KSP is/should be/what is fun, but you can't expect everyone to feel the same.

I've tried both KIS/KAS and didn't personally feel it added anything "fun" to the game experience for me. It's OK for us to have different opinions on this, if we all agreed THAT would be weird; which is what mods are for, things we can't all agree on adding to the game.

An "unpackable" rover could be achieved in the stock game via a simple part with a right click menu option to "unpack" or "assemble" it. Alternatively; smaller docking ports, and stock hinges/folding arms would also allow us to design our own. Adding inventories to Kerbals and a whole slew of new mechanics/parts just so we can have Apollo faithful rovers seems like a bit of overkill.

It's just something for kerbals to do. honestly, they're a waste most of the time, now.

What about bases? The requirement to dock things, without the ability to connect them otherwise is a major failing. Having the ability to connect things on the ground is a pretty good goal. Anything to DO on EVA would also help out. Of course I'd like kerbals to walk around by themselves (taking surface samples, and otherwise looking busy to add atmosphere).

1 hour ago, tater said:

It's just something for kerbals to do. honestly, they're a waste most of the time, now.

What about bases? The requirement to dock things, without the ability to connect them otherwise is a major failing. Having the ability to connect things on the ground is a pretty good goal. Anything to DO on EVA would also help out. Of course I'd like kerbals to walk around by themselves (taking surface samples, and otherwise looking busy to add atmosphere).

Flexible docking hoses for bases like those added in DMagic's Modlets would certainly be a much needed and welcome addition to the stock game.

Really almost all of his modlets would be perfect additions to the stock game, they are small, simple, and based off existing systems.

His EVA struts and EVA fuel transfer is a perfect example of a stock-alike KIS/KAS "lite" implementation that I'd be OK with seeing. Giving Kerbals some things to do on EVA without going the full blown route of adding inventories.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

I want the functionality, I don't care if it's the exact same mod or not.

KIS/KAS stuff I like:

The pipes.

The drill (any tool is fine).

Some repair modes and other base building stuff would be fun (experiments to attach to ground, solar panels to attach to ground, etc).

Some storage parts for limited stuff like pipes, life support supplies (I want that, too).

I don't need total rocket construction, as that would not happen much.

I'd much rather have a VAB like interface but only using the parts you have in stock, or only dragging parts around that are already there. I love what KAS/KIS allow, but I really don't enjoy using them.

The same could be said for IR, with an added need for all the (not IR's fault) bugs fixed first.

So, no.

Edited by 5thHorseman

14 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

*pic*

I could start a discussion about porting easily moddable pc games to consoles (and players, who choose the console with full awareness that they won't be able to mod their games) but that's not the time or place for such discussion.

I'm still for keeping it as a mod (or maybe some part of possible future expansion, idk) but that's it.

6 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I'd much rather have a VAB like interface but only using the parts you have in stock, or only dragging parts around that are already there. I love what KAS/KIS allow, but I really don't enjoy using them.

The same could be said for IR, with an added need for all the (not IR's fault) bugs fixed first.

So, no.

How do you connect base pieces in situ using a VAB-like interface?

4 hours ago, tater said:

How do you connect base pieces in situ using a VAB-like interface?

Hit the "Build Mode" button, putting you in VAB-mode, which is exactly like the VAB only centered on your base, with no limits except the parts you have in stock or on site.

Edit your base/station/ship/whatever as if it's in the VAB. Available parts (in storage boxes) would be in the familiar side part menu. Nearby vessels could be in a sub-assembly like menu.

Click the "Done" button.

I'd also like it if Extraplanetary Launchpads had this interface. Or in fact it would almost not be needed in that case, except for the "turning-ore-into-parts" part.

19 hours ago, Slam_Jones said:

As much as I use and enjoy the listed mods, I believe that vanilla KSP should be as easy to run as possible, as many people play on older computers that are unable to keep up with many mods.

I think that the entirety of the mods in question need not be added, but a subset to create much of the functionality. 

KIS/KAS is merely the ability for kerbals to actually do something. What they do could be curated in stock, but still be >0.

Infernal Robotics I have not used, but the ability to make cranes, or folding craft is non-trivial, particularly given the kooky ways we have to build stuff once landed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.