You are all wonderful people

Der Anfang

I just have to say that you all are wonderful people. Boy, I haven't been on this forum for some time now, but I have been busy with a lot of things and not enough KSP. But honestly, guys. This forum rocks. You're all fun to talk to and you are great people. Too bad a majority of the gaming community fails badly. I play (or I played) a lot of World of Tanks here and there, and while I understand that it is a competitive video game, so many people act like sore losers and bad sports. It's not even funny. It's a video game. You have people who say some really mean and questionable things that I do not believe I need mention (but I suppose just as a small sample, you have people who call you obscenely rude names a lot). Communities like this put me off and it just makes the game a whole lot less enjoyable. Although I was not banned from that game, I did get a forum strike in that community, simply for calling somebody out for being stupid and overly aggressive toward me. While I was sloppy and shouldn't have done that, I made sure to fix my mistake in my thread and removed names and everything (the rule is called "Naming and Shaming" which is something you cannot do). Even so, a lot of people were just jerks about it and immediately mistook my casual conversation starter as me whining, being butthurt, etc. Even though I was genuinely looking for critique in one of the battles which I had an issue with the person in question. I didn't even make that big of a deal out of it, but since so many people just for some reason don't like it when I point out the social aspects of the community,  it seemed the administration there favoured them and gave me a strike.

Again, I was not banned, but that really put me off from so much as playing the game and I just outright left the forum. I can't even start a casual conversation without flamewars and huge excrementsstorms popping out of nowhere in my threads. It's sickening. World of Tanks is a fun time waster, but it's not an amazing game. But I think the biggest issues are not the game itself, but rather the administration behind it and also the hostile community in general. I get that it is a competitive game, but it seems like many people use this as an excuse to act like complete asses about it because they think it makes them look like a hardcore cool person or something. I do not know.

Meanwhile, here, I feel I can talk about anything because people seem more openminded and peaceful. Then again, KSP is not an action game... although I suppose you could turn it into one. It is not competitive, at least not unless you get challenges involved but even then people are very chill and fantastic in that section. What I don't get is why it is that people's mental nature seems to change drastically the moment they touch a game where you can shoot stuff. I just don't understand this behaviour at all. But that could just be me. I appreciate this community, and it's great how chill you all are. Sorry for the vent, but I needed to get this off of my chest. A lot of gaming communities just tick me off, and it's primarily due to the bahaviour towards others of the people playing the game in question

Edited by Der Anfang

First of all, Welcome back to the KSP forum, where everyone in here isn't an ordinary gamers who only care about pwning or bragging to others. KSP isn't a game which can be played by anyone, you can't play this game by simply having "fast reflex so I shoot first", but also an understanding about physics, aerodynamics, astronomy, orbital mechanics and a lot more. Most of us here is either rocket/ aircraft enthusiast, scientists, etc. (Basically, we solve problem with calm and coolheaded attitude, not starting flamewar). Perhaps what you experienced in the contrasting difference between 2 games is caused by several factors, such as:

- most of the shooter game, especially MMO values pwning the most in a game between 2 sides, so it's natural for someone to have "I'm the greatest" mentality when they got most kill and ridicule the other by calling them noob. While yes, the shooter game have tactical sense, most of the time, it's about who can click faster to pop someone's head. KSP  (the combat type at least) isn't that type of the game since it isn't about a skill of who can click faster, but who can build better. Furthermore, most battle in KSP is handled by AI anyway, so it also about who can configure the AI better. While this might not important, losing in a shooter game full of pro gamers always induce hate, losing in KSP is more likely to induce motivation to get better

- the KSP community is full of people who solve the problem calmly and methodically, a claim isn't a claim when it isn't proven scientifically. Most of other shooter game out there is full of pro-style gamer who can be agitated by even a slightest provocation (which usually resulted in flamewar where both sides trashing at each other). For an example of how we, KSP community handle a problem in our community, just look for @Matt Lowne and @hazard-ish Tiltwing SSTO (just look at Matt's video on YouTube channel or the forum about it). Yes it does cause a flamewar in the forum but it doesn't go as far as profanity-laden posts and even then, the conflict is finished in just 2 days, after that, everything goes normal in the forum. Compare to most conflict that happen on most shooter MMO forum where the flamewar could lasts for months or even years

- one of the thing that unusual for most gamers is the ability for KSP players to "improvise". In almost EVERY shooter game, whenever there's an update that either buff or nerf something, there's ALWAYS a complain in the forum, as if they can't live without it. This isn't a case in KSP. Whenever there's a nerf or buff, the community simply "improvise" it to circumnavigate the nerf limitation or make better use of buff advantage (one rule in KSP is, the more absurd the improvisation, the better)

- repetitiveness, name me one shooting MMO that has something other than "pwn someone's head in a match, rinse and repeat until you unlock next tank, weapon, parts, rank, etc.". Yes most will say "it's a shooter game, so of course it's about shooting". But one must remember, repetitiveness is one of the thing that plagues most games today. It makes a game boring real fast. Remember, we play for fun not for work. In your example above, yes, I'm a former WoT player, but I've stopped playing it long time ago simply because it's more like a chore than play. Sure it's fun at first, but then as I progress, the exp needed gets absurd and the game simply becomes more like a chore that I don't care about it anymore. Grinding is not a good aspect in a game, it leads to a monotonous task with no new experience in gameplay. In KSP, we always have one thing that we love: mods. Mods adds a whole new gameplay and brand new experience by offering more challenge, more parts, more places to visit and many more. If a vanilla game isn't enough, a mod can give new experience. Overall (as a former WoT player) why you just drive a tank when you can build your own tank and experience the sensation of driving an ultramassive land battleship with weapon system that you can put as you like?

This is my opinion though, but yes, I do agree with you that most other gaming community is simply too hostile for any talk

Overall, I think the KSP is one of the greatest game in my life, with such a helpful and good community (well, KSP helps me jacking up my academic grades and my thesis), I think it's safe to say this game is about who can be more creative, have more absurd idea, more crazy mission, etc. It's not for bragging, it's for entertainment for others

Anyway, once again, welcome back! :)

Edited by ARS

23 hours ago, Der Anfang said:

I just have to say that you all are wonderful people.

I wouldn't call myself wonderful, but okay.

23 hours ago, Der Anfang said:

Meanwhile, here, I feel I can talk about anything because people seem more openminded and peaceful. Then again, KSP is not an action game... although I suppose you could turn it into one. It is not competitive, at least not unless you get challenges involved but even then people are very chill and fantastic in that section. What I don't get is why it is that people's mental nature seems to change drastically the moment they touch a game where you can shoot stuff.

I think it's more about the fact that in order to enjoy KSP (and hence be a part of the community), you need to have some level of intelligence and logical thinking in order to do anything properly in the game. I'm not saying that action games or their fans are inferior, but those kinds of games are usually far simpler, and understandable to a far larger audience.

21 hours ago, ARS said:

- one of the thing that unusual for most gamers is the ability for KSP players to "improvise". In almost EVERY shooter game, whenever there's an update that either buff or nerf something, there's ALWAYS a complain in the forum, as if they can't live without it. This isn't a case in KSP. Whenever there's a nerf or buff, the community simply "improvise" it to circumnavigate the nerf limitation or make better use of buff advantage (one rule in KSP is, the more absurd the improvisation, the better)

I think a major reason for that is that those buffs/nerfs add realism, and while I'm not sure if anyone else shares this opinion, I value realism far more than anything else.

21 hours ago, ARS said:

Grinding is not a good aspect in a game, it leads to a monotonous task with no new experience in gameplay. In KSP, we always have one thing that we love: mods. Mods adds a whole new gameplay and brand new experience by offering more challenge, more parts, more places to visit and many more. If a vanilla game isn't enough, a mod can give new experience.

I've always thought of the default game as a "seed" which is intentionally left half-empty so the community can fill in the rest, and so individual players can choose which mods to use in order to "customise" their experience to suit aspects of the game they enjoy the most. Just like Minecraft.

@Der Anfang welcome back and have a great time again.

And i don't think we are beautiful, we are such nerds and stay so far from mainstream that our normal behavior looks like perfectly sozialised, but it is only through pure misunderstandig of concept of rudnes. We try to get all sorts of sources to clarify "you are misleaded"...

Like here.... :blush:

Funny Kabooms 

Urses

@Der Anfang

You dont know me, or how wonderful, or not, I am :confused:

But this IS a pretty awesome forum, and it was nice to be reminded of that, and that being a part of it is a pretty cool thing. And hey, maybe that does make me a bit more wonderful.

So thanks :)

Edited by p1t1o

On 18/11/2017 at 3:26 PM, carmenara said:

The only black stain in the KSP community is the kind of treatment I got from the so called "Official" KSP reddit discord. 

There is no official KSP Discord. The Reddit community is maintained by a completely different set of people and has no official endorsement by Squad or Take Two

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.