Sign in to follow this  
SQUAD

JoolTube: KSP kOS Scripted Mun Reusable Mission!

Recommended Posts

tumblr_inline_oz0gffdgIM1rr2wit_540.png

Marcus House is sending two crewed missions to the Mun and also re-landing the boosters. He is sending this fully reusable vessel on this mission entirely using the KSP kOS mod. Need to send tourists to the moon? Look no further than this awesome vessel. #KSP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ripper video Marcus!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pellinor said:

Did he share his kOS scripts anywhere?

His video claimed he was going to follow this up with a later video on his youtube channel which actually does post the script and walk through an explanation.  Give his channel a follow and it should show up eventually later.  I know from experience that making a kOS script walk-through video is very time consuming.  You end up having to decide what *not* to explain in order to make it do-able in a reasonable length video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While this is impressive, it's not really something I like to see. Anyone could write a script to land at longitude X, latitude Y. It's much more rewarding to do it yourself, without perfect, computer controlled inputs, then I'd be impressed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2017 at 11:26 PM, Delay said:

While this is impressive, it's not really something I like to see. Anyone could write a script to land at longitude X, latitude Y. It's much more rewarding to do it yourself, without perfect, computer controlled inputs, then I'd be impressed.

Have you tried to script autopilots with KoS (or other scripting mods) yourself?

Actually, having done it, I feel it is harder/takes more time to script an autopilot than to land precisely once manually

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Garlik said:

Have you tried to script autopilots with KoS (or other scripting mods) yourself?

No. I can't script. I have tried learning C++ before. I don't even know where to start.

10 minutes ago, Garlik said:

I feel it is harder/takes more time to script an autopilot than to land precisely once manually

I don't think so. With an autopilot, "all you need to do" is to give it the right coordinates and height to land at. The rest is done for you, no interference required.

Manually landing at the launch pad or the VAB is much more difficult, because you have to do everything, from reentry to reentry burn, to lining up and actually touching down. I would need a lot of attempts to land anywhere near those places.

Edited by Delay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Delay said:

I don't think so. With an autopilot, "all you need to do" is to give it the right coordinates and height to land at. The rest is done for you, no interference required.

I feel you do not know what KoS is. It is not an autopilot. It is a mod that allows you to code your own autopilot in KSP.
Writing an autopilot is not just selecting coordinates and clicking "go" or anything. Hundreds (if not thousands) of line of code certainly where needed to code this complete mission (from lanchpad, to Mun, to return). This had to take tens of hours for the scripting alone.
Do install KoS and give it a try, great documentation on how it works are online, really fun, but certainly not easy. If you use RemoteTech, you can for example allow simple landers to land when no connection are present. Some very basic actions (wait for X altitude: open parachute/stage, wait Y altitude: deploy landing legs, wait 0 altitude: open solar panels & antenae)  can be done in just a few lines of simple code

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Garlik said:

I feel you do not know what KoS is. It is not an autopilot.

I have watched his introductions to kOS. He built a small missile to hit a certain target (at specific coordinates), while explaining, section for section, what each line does.

3 minutes ago, Garlik said:

Hundreds (if not thousands) of line of code certainly where needed to code this complete mission (from lanchpad, to Mun, to return).

He uploaded a video where he explained and showed his coding. It's an amazing amount of scripting.

5 minutes ago, Garlik said:

Do install KoS and give it a try, great documentation on how it works are online, really fun, but certainly not easy

Like I said, I tried learning C++ in the past, watching tutorials and reading documentations for I don't even know how many times.

At the end I was just left with "Okay, great... Now what?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Delay said:

At the end I was just left with "Okay, great... Now what?"

Discover this new layer of gameplay for yourself, of course.

Seriously, this is just another, entirely new playstyle. Good thing is, you can write scripts for elementary actions such as circularization, inclination changes, Hohmann transfers etc. and then combine them to build complex missions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this