I love our solar system!

Sarxis

I was just thinking how good our real life home star system is.  I've played quite a few sci-fi space games and watched many a movie that explores what we imagine other star systems are like.  But if I had to choose one that is 'home', Sol is really one of the best.  Diverse in it's planetary composition, stable mainline star, a living planet in the third slot.  All so good!

Kerbol is a good scale model of our home system.   

What other kinds of star systems would you want to call home one day?

I think the Trappist system would be interesting because it has (I believe) 1 planet in the habitable zone and 2 more floating around the edges, meaning habitable with minimal environmental work.  Also the solar system in the Firefly universe is really interesting, with a trinary star system and each star has its own set of planets.

I'd really like to live in the 10x Stock+OPM system. Two moons, One eclipse each weeks, and a ton of transits between Duna and Ike? Count me in!

Also, I'm sure entire librairies could be written about Laythe. Imagine all the science to do on what's literally another Earth?

4 hours ago, Sarxis said:

What other kinds of star systems would you want to call home one day?

One of the main goals of my "Alternate Solar System" project is exactly this, to attempt to create a solar system far more favourable than what we have in OTL. With 6 habitable or semi-habitable worlds (Venus, Earth, Luna, Mars, a large planet in OTL's asteroid belt, and Jupiter's largest moon), 2 moons around Earth, plentiful strategic resources, and 11 worlds with some form of life (the above, the fifth planet's moon, Jupiter's second largest moon, Saturn, a Titan-like moon around Saturn, and a very unusual asteroid-like object), I'd say it's a lot more interesting.

3 hours ago, NSEP said:

Me too, i wish Earth had more astronomical features in the sky, though, like a ring or a slightly larger/closer Moon.

No ring. NO RING.

It would be cool, be it would get hard to lauch satellites, (lots of other issues would come up.) And the reletive brightness of the rings would make astronomy hard. Plus the areas that they cast shadows would likey be very cold.

8 hours ago, cubinator said:

Heh

Anyways, Earth is an extremely awesome planet with the best moon in the inner solar system and we could hardly ask more of the rest of the system.

I guess minimal is too much of an understatement.  I was thinking more in terms of humans working to live on a planet that has average temps ranging from -20°C - 20°C or from around 50°C - 70°C being easier than working on a planet in a similar orbital area to Venus or Mars.  Still would need substantial work and environmental protection, but a) it would take less time to normalize temperatures via terraforming and b) less shielding would be necessary to deal with thermal extremes.  Or, it could be just as hard as working on any other planet because its still not in the middle of the habitable zone.  I don't know, and I guess no one else knows for sure either.  Just food for thought.

7 hours ago, ChrisSpace said:

One of the main goals of my "Alternate Solar System" project is exactly this, to attempt to create a solar system far more favourable than what we have in OTL. With 6 habitable or semi-habitable worlds (Venus, Earth, Luna, Mars, a large planet in OTL's asteroid belt, and Jupiter's largest moon), 2 moons around Earth, plentiful strategic resources, and 11 worlds with some form of life (the above, the fifth planet's moon, Jupiter's second largest moon, Saturn, a Titan-like moon around Saturn, and a very unusual asteroid-like object), I'd say it's a lot more interesting.

Is this still a thing? Being actively worked on by anybody?

Edited by Findthepin1

7 hours ago, Adstriduum said:

No ring. NO RING.

It would be cool, be it would get hard to lauch satellites, (lots of other issues would come up.) And the reletive brightness of the rings would make astronomy hard. Plus the areas that they cast shadows would likey be very cold.

Does not matter what creature i am in that alternate universe, i want too see it anyways.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.