[1.12.x] Eva Follower

linuxgurugamer

Originally written by @Fel, continued by @MSD, previous thread here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/84476-112-eva-follower-v1035-20-may-2016/

What is EVA Follower

This mod allows you to order kerbals around, make them follow you, or make them patrol the area.

Disclaimer; The trailer is full of cliche editing; Only the last part shows a little of the mod.

Originally based on the source of Fel.

Features

• Order kerbals around to follow you.
  • Make kerbals patrol around the area!
  • Patrol walking or running.
  • Control multiple kerbals at a time.
  • Take off helmets on kerbin.
  • Persistence

Frequently Asked Questions

Will this work in career mode ?

- Yes.

Will they follow you with their jetpacks (where possible)

- No, I would like to be able to do that. (Planned)

Will they climb ladders ?

- No, They will release ladders when there asked to do so.

Will they continue their patrol routes after re-loading the game?

- Yes, however revert flight is still not figured out, so if the game saves between that, the kerbals are going to listen to commands from an alternative dimension.

On 6/12/2016 at 4:11 PM, Algiark said:

Just wondering, what use does the patrol function has, apart from looking cool?

- Movies

Download: https://spacedock.info/mod/1582/EvaFollower?ga=%3CGame+3102+%27Kerbal+Space+Program%27%3E

Source: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/EvaFollower

Available in CKAN

License:  CC-BY-NC-SA-3.0

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

What cloning bug?

Sometimes the Kerbal gets duplicated when you enter a command Pod. Old versions did it a lot of times, your version did it only once in over 10 hours of gameplay.

I mean, the Kerbal enters the capsule/pod and leaves behind a copy of himself.

2 hours ago, Trevisan said:

Sometimes the Kerbal gets duplicated when you enter a command Pod. Old versions did it a lot of times, your version did it only once in over 10 hours of gameplay.

I mean, the Kerbal enters the capsule/pod and leaves behind a copy of himself.

Interesting.

The next time this happens, please immediately exit and send me the log file.

It's not a priority for me, but if I see something, I'll see what I can do

• 4 weeks later...

Really cool and interesting mod for immersion, nice work @linuxgurugamer!

My only issue, there is now three mods installed that allow Kerbals to take off their helmet, and they don't seem to play nice together always:
- This
- Texture Replacer
- KIS

No hard suggestion, but would it be a cleaner and "lightweight" mod without this feature?

Edited by Beale

• 6 months later...
On 7/18/2018 at 11:56 AM, Toranks said:

I tried changing this option, but it does not work:

EnableHelmetToggle = false

(GameData\EvaFollower\PluginData\EvaFollower\config.cfg)

Do you have any other mods installed which control the helmuts

• 2 months later...

Hello! I was wondering, would climbing ladders be something you could possibly add?

Even if kerbals must be on the ladder to start with. 

I'd love to be able get multiple kerbals climbing ladders simultaneously. Climbing separate ladders, even better. It would be great to revive the old ladderforce trick with greater power. 

Edited by Tw1

On 10/2/2018 at 8:25 AM, Tw1 said:

Hello! I was wondering, would climbing ladders be something you could possibly add?

Even if kerbals must be on the ladder to start with. 

I'd love to be able get multiple kerbals climbing ladders simultaneously. Climbing separate ladders, even better. It would be great to revive the old ladderforce trick with greater power. 

Sorry, not going to happen unless someone else does the work.  I"m only keeping this going as is

I'm so glad this has received a bump this week, as I've often hankered for the helmet removal option but without all the baggage that comes with the other add-ons. The fact I can have a couple of Kerbals on EVA and control both at once is just a bonus!

Besides movies, I think this is really great with base assembly along with KIS. Have Jeb equip the the default KIS container and have him follow Bill while Bill goes along with base assembly, occasionally getting items from Jeb or having Jeb assist in lifting heavy parts. Of course you can have more Kerbals follow you for more assistance!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been testing a few mods to see if I can use them without waiting for recompiles, and I've found a bug that had been overlooked in the current version, and a new bug that'll need tweaking for the next version:

• Old bug: Mod does not affect any Kerbal equipped with the Making History retro suits. None of the options this mod provides are available in their action menus.
  • New bug: Lady Kerbals cannot remove their helmets any more. Obviously there's been some changes to the models, perhaps the meshes have been renamed or something but there's nothing immediately obvious in the .cfg files for EVA Kerbals.

Everything else appears to still work just fine; Male Kerbals can remove/replace their helmets, patrol routes can be programmed and followed, Kerbals will follow each other around as requested.

2 hours ago, JH4C said:

I've been testing a few mods to see if I can use them without waiting for recompiles, and I've found a bug that had been overlooked in the current version, and a new bug that'll need tweaking for the next version:

• Old bug: Mod does not affect any Kerbal equipped with the Making History retro suits. None of the options this mod provides are available in their action menus.
  • New bug: Lady Kerbals cannot remove their helmets any more. Obviously there's been some changes to the models, perhaps the meshes have been renamed or something but there's nothing immediately obvious in the .cfg files for EVA Kerbals.

Everything else appears to still work just fine; Male Kerbals can remove/replace their helmets, patrol routes can be programmed and followed, Kerbals will follow each other around as requested.

Not much I can do about this right now, but I'll put an issue into Github about it

59 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Not much I can do about this right now, but I'll put an issue into Github about it

I know you're exceptionally busy and other mods are much more important, this was purely something I'd uncovered and thought worth mentioning so that you had this knowledge ahead of your own testing. I should have thought to put it in GitHub, if I find anything else I'll try and remember.

42 minutes ago, JH4C said:

I know you're exceptionally busy and other mods are much more important, this was purely something I'd uncovered and thought worth mentioning so that you had this knowledge ahead of your own testing. I should have thought to put it in GitHub, if I find anything else I'll try and remember.

I actually haven't gotten to Github, could you create a new issue, please

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.