[1.12.x] Eva Follower

linuxgurugamer

25 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Yeah, ok.  I just tested it on 1.11.2,worked fine for me.  So you might be running into a mod conflict.  I'll look for a log tomorrow morning, don't forget to ping me in the post so I see the message

Alright, here is the log: https://file.io/Rlmc7nVuQZJW
Hope it downloads okay.  Also, think this may be the issue?

[EFX] [EFX] EvaLogic: Object reference not set to an instance of an object:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at MSD.EvaFollower.EvaContainer.CheckDistance (Vector3d move, System.Single speed, System.Double sqrDist) [0x0005d] in <6c04c83e692c4b05901bd47e492afbf8>:0 
  at MSD.EvaFollower.EvaLogic.Update () [0x0022e] in <6c04c83e692c4b05901bd47e492afbf8>:0 

8 hours ago, Kerbex said:

Alright, here is the log: https://file.io/Rlmc7nVuQZJW
Hope it downloads okay.  Also, think this may be the issue?

[EFX] [EFX] EvaLogic: Object reference not set to an instance of an object:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at MSD.EvaFollower.EvaContainer.CheckDistance (Vector3d move, System.Single speed, System.Double sqrDist) [0x0005d] in <6c04c83e692c4b05901bd47e492afbf8>:0 
  at MSD.EvaFollower.EvaLogic.Update () [0x0022e] in <6c04c83e692c4b05901bd47e492afbf8>:0 

First off, the file is deleted, I can't download it.

Second, the snippit is useless, since there is something else causing the issue.  I tested this yesterday, and it worked fine, so I need the log to see what's going on.

9 hours ago, Kerbex said:

Newest release does not seem to work in 1.11.2.  You get the "Follow me" option on Kerbals, but when clicked, throws a nullref, and the Kerbal will not actually follow.  I don't think it is any compatibility issue with another mod or missing dependencies (at least, whichever dependencies the mod requires and downloads in CKAN).  I think the issue may be similar to the issue had with WalkAbout.

This has absolutely NOTHING to do with what was wrong with WalkAbout.  That was a bad build, the wrong DLL was included with it, so it had nothing to work with.  In this case, something is breaking, but it's obviously trying to work

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

First off, the file is deleted, I can't download it.

Second, the snippit is useless, since there is something else causing the issue.  I tested this yesterday, and it worked fine, so I need the log to see what's going on.

This has absolutely NOTHING to do with what was wrong with WalkAbout.  That was a bad build, the wrong DLL was included with it, so it had nothing to work with.  In this case, something is breaking, but it's obviously trying to work

Alright, yeah, the place where I uploaded the file to stated it can only be downloaded once which worried me.  Try this one? https://filebin.net/h4vlxkc3vi3i421w

1 hour ago, Kerbex said:

Alright, yeah, the place where I uploaded the file to stated it can only be downloaded once which worried me.  Try this one? https://filebin.net/h4vlxkc3vi3i421w

So, please explain the scenario in detail.  Every step you do, every click, is needed.  Did you start from the Space Center, from the Tracking Station, were the kerbals already on the runway (or wherever they are), where they are, etc.

You have 247 mods installed, a number of which affect EVA Kerbals.  Please create a new install with a minimal set of mods and try to replicate it.

It's quite possible there is something wrong in your savefile itself, but I can't really comment on that.

And, just FYI, the problem appears to be starting  much earlier than the snippet you posted.

I also saw some errors related to WalkAbout, not sure what's going on there

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

So, please explain the scenario in detail.  Every step you do, every click, is needed.  Did you start from the Space Center, from the Tracking Station, were the kerbals already on the runway (or wherever they are), where they are, etc.

You have 247 mods installed, a number of which affect EVA Kerbals.  Please create a new install with a minimal set of mods and try to replicate it.

It's quite possible there is something wrong in your savefile itself, but I can't really comment on that.

And, just FYI, the problem appears to be starting  much earlier than the snippet you posted.

I also saw some errors related to WalkAbout, not sure what's going on there

Okay, here is the explanation of the scenario in that specific log file:

Loaded into KSC, went into the Tracking Station, went to one of the workshop bases on the Mun (doesn't matter which base on the Mun, it happens at any of them) where the kerbals already were, took one engineer out of the base into EVA (call it engineer 1), took second engineer out of the base (engineer 2).  Attempted to click "Follow me" on engineer 1 from engineer 2, but it doesn't show up as a menu option.  Switched to engineer 1 and attempted to click "Follow me" on engineer 2 from engineer 1, the option is available to click, I click it, the nullref happens.  The two kerbals are less than 1 meter apart from one another.

I'm about to do a new install with minimal mods, probably difficult to diagnose with so many mods.

Okay, so with a fresh install and only the mods:  EvaFollower, EvaEnhancementsContinued, EvaFuel Continued, WalkAbout, and their dependencies from CKAN
 It works, the kerbals follow from the launchpad and from the Mun.   There are nullrefs being thrown from both EvaFollower and WalkAbout, though.  Now I'm really curious which mod it is that is conflicting or if it is the save file being funky and it isn't actually a mod conflict.

Here is the log from this new install case:
https://www.filemail.com/d/ghfbdlwnaptndvu

Edit:  I'm adding mods back in chunks and then trying EvaFollower to see if the problem will arise.  This is also a good way to filter out some of the 240+ mods that some are probably unnecessary.

Edited by Kerbex

1 hour ago, Kerbex said:

Okay, so with a fresh install and only the mods:  EvaFollower, EvaEnhancementsContinued, EvaFuel Continued, WalkAbout, and their dependencies from CKAN
 It works, the kerbals follow from the launchpad and from the Mun.   There are nullrefs being thrown from both EvaFollower and WalkAbout, though.  Now I'm really curious which mod it is that is conflicting or if it is the save file being funky and it isn't actually a mod conflict.

Please try it with ONLY EvaFollower and nothing else.  I'm not seeing any nullrefs when I test, I would need to know exactly which other mod is causing issues with it .  Once you have it working without NullRefs, add them one at a time and see which starts causing the problems.

Also use a clean save for this

20 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Please try it with ONLY EvaFollower and nothing else.  I'm not seeing any nullrefs when I test, I would need to know exactly which other mod is causing issues with it .  Once you have it working without NullRefs, add them one at a time and see which starts causing the problems.

Also use a clean save for this

I'm back up to 190 mods and EvaFollower is still working fine.  I'm starting to believe the save file was messed up which lead to EvaFollower just not working on that save.  So, sorry for thinking that something was wrong with the mod!   The only information I can give is irrelevant to EvaFollower and has to do with WalkAbout, since I can get it to routinely throw nullrefs just by itself without any other mod installed except whatever dependencies WalkAbout comes with on CKAN.   Not sure why that is, might be missing a dependency?  When downloading WalkAbout from CKAN, it downloads SpaceTux Library, Toolbar Controller, and ClickThroughBlocker as dependencies I believe.  Anyway, sorry again.

5 minutes ago, Kerbex said:

I'm back up to 190 mods and EvaFollower is still working fine.  I'm starting to believe the save file was messed up which lead to EvaFollower just not working on that save.  So, sorry for thinking that something was wrong with the mod!   The only information I can give is irrelevant to EvaFollower and has to do with WalkAbout, since I can get it to routinely throw nullrefs just by itself without any other mod installed except whatever dependencies WalkAbout comes with on CKAN.   Not sure why that is, might be missing a dependency?  When downloading WalkAbout from CKAN, it downloads SpaceTux Library, Toolbar Controller, and ClickThroughBlocker as dependencies I believe.  Anyway, sorry again.

I did a minor update to EvaFollower the other day when I saw your log, are you using it?

20 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I did a minor update to EvaFollower the other day when I saw your log, are you using it?

I'm using version 1.1.1.12 of EvaFollower.  That is the one currently up on CKAN, April 7th of 2021 for release date.  I'll take a look for the update

2 hours ago, Kerbex said:

I'm using version 1.1.1.12 of EvaFollower.  That is the one currently up on CKAN, April 7th of 2021 for release date.  I'll take a look for the update

that's the latest

I am interested in any exceptions which you see with it

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
2 hours ago, Alexsys said:

@linuxgurugamer

Is there any way to disable the outline that happens when u hold and drag left click, like a windows desktop marker?

i understand that its for selecting the kerbals you want, but incase i want to disable it, what might i have to do?

I believe you can assign another mouse button for it...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I was trying to re-create for logs, and whatever it was, it's resolved itself now. All I can confirm is that the Follow Me button wasn't there on the pilot, the issue remained after going back to the Space Center and to my astronauts, and it was potentially solved by restarting the game.

Alright. If you notice on Jebediah, who is wearing the default suit,  there is a "Follow Me" button, but on bob, who is wearing the slim suit, does not have a "Follow me" button. As far as I can tell this is completely related to what suit the kerbal is wearing. I couldn't get it to work initially, so I tried a clean install, nothing. Tried reinstalling the mod, nothing. Changed suits to the default one, and only then did it work. Hope this helps!

Edited by PT_P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.