Jump to content

Exploding when orbiting(inside) a planet


ApertureGaming
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hey people,

I'm having a problem where when I orbit my own made planet, I explode immediately. When I zoom out I see I'm inside the planet. Does anybody know what could cause this? Or  could anybody take a look at the config?

Here is my config:

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus]
{
	Body
	{
		name = Narai
		cacheFile = Systended/Cache/narai.bin

		Template
		{
			name = Gilly
			removePQSMods = PQSLandControl, VertexSimplexNoiseColor
		}
		
		Orbit
		{
			referenceBody = Sera
			inclination = -3
			eccentricity = 0.1
			semiMajorAxis = 17355380
			longitudeOfAscendingNode = 0
            argumentOfPeriapsis = 213
            meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 0
            epoch = 0
			color = RGBA(190,190,24,255)
		}
		
		Properties
		{
			description = test
			radius = 21000
			geeASL = 0.014
			albedo = 0.10
			timewarpAltitudeLimits = 0 12000 12000 12000 24000 50000 100000 120000 
			
			ScienceValues
			{
				landedDataValue = 9 
				splashedDataValue = 0
				inSpaceLowDataValue = 8
				inSpaceHighDataValue = 7
				recoveryValue = 7
				spaceAltitudeThreshold = 10000
			}
		}
	
		ScaledVersion
		{
			Material
			{
				texture = Systended/SeraSys/Narai/Textures/color
				normals = Systended/SeraSys/Narai/Textures/normal
			}
		}
		
		PQS
		{
			maxQuadLengthsPerFrame = 0.03
			minLevel = 2
			maxLevel = 6
			minDetailDistance = 8

			Mods
			{
				VertexHeightMap
				{
					map = Systended/SeraSys/Narai/PluginData/height.png
					offset = 0
					deformity = 3000
					scaleDeformityByRadius = false
					order = 19
					enabled = true
				}
				VertexSimplexHeightAbsolute
                {
                    name = Base
                    seed = 324
                    deformity = 10000
                    octaves = 3
                    persistence = 0.75
                    frequency = 0.5
                    enabled = true
                    order = 5
                }
                VertexSimplexHeightAbsolute
                {
                    name = Base1
                    seed = 213
                    deformity = 5000
                    octaves = 9
                    persistence = 0.5
                    frequency = 1
                    enabled = true
                    order = 10
                }
                VertexHeightNoise
                {
                    noiseType = RiggedMultifractal
                    deformity = 250
                    seed = 432
                    frequency = 1.5
                    lacunarity = 2.5
                    persistence = 0.5
                    octaves = 5
                    mode = Low
                    enabled = true
                    order = 2
                }
				VertexSimplexNoiseColor
				{
					seed = 48
					blend = 1.0
					colorStart = 0.3608921,0.3146067,0.2806623,1
					colorEnd = 0.2191011,0.1553269,0.1043975,1
					octaves = 8
					persistence = 0.5
					frequency = 1
					enabled = true
					order = 50
				}
			}
		}
	}
}

 

Thank you.

Edited by ApertureGaming
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus]
{
	Body
	{
		name = Narai

		Template
		{
			name = Gilly
		}
		
		Orbit
		{
			referenceBody = Sera
			inclination = -3
			eccentricity = 0.1
			semiMajorAxis = 17355380
			longitudeOfAscendingNode = 0
            argumentOfPeriapsis = 12
            meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 0
            epoch = 0
			color = RGBA(190,190,24,255)
		}
		
		Properties
		{
			description = test
			radius = 13000
			geeASL = 0.014
			timewarpAltitudeLimits = 0 12000 12000 12000 24000 50000 100000 120000 
			
			ScienceValues
			{
				landedDataValue = 9 
				splashedDataValue = 0
				inSpaceLowDataValue = 8
				inSpaceHighDataValue = 7
				recoveryValue = 7
				spaceAltitudeThreshold = 10000
			}
		}
	
		ScaledVersion
		{
			type = Vacuum
			fadeStart = 0
			fadeEnd = 0
			
			Material
			{
			}
		}
		
		PQS
		{
			Mods
			{
			}
		}
	}
}	

So this is the code for the planet after removing a lot of stuff and I'm still exploding when I try to orbit the planet. This is literally just a copy of Gilly and I'm still exploding? I really don't get it...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did you copy gilly's stats? Gilly's terrain is highly uneven by default, it's not a perfect sphere and basically just an irregular-shaped moon. It's highly likely that the planet that you've made looks like a good planet on the outside (texture), but it isn't on the inside (hitbox). Judging from your "Exploding inside the planet" report, I think that your planet's appearance isn't in sync with the hitbox of the planet itself. So what looks like a mountain is actually just a texture you can pass through (and then you collided with actual hitbox inside the planet) and what look like an empty plains is actually dotted with invisible mountain "hitbox". I suggest you use another moon as a template for creating celestial body, one with a more "rounded" shape to make it easier to create

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, ARS said:

Did you copy gilly's stats? Gilly's terrain is highly uneven by default, it's not a perfect sphere and basically just an irregular-shaped moon. It's highly likely that the planet that you've made looks like a good planet on the outside (texture), but it isn't on the inside (hitbox). Judging from your "Exploding inside the planet" report, I think that your planet's appearance isn't in sync with the hitbox of the planet itself. So what looks like a mountain is actually just a texture you can pass through (and then you collided with actual hitbox inside the planet) and what look like an empty plains is actually dotted with invisible mountain "hitbox". I suggest you use another moon as a template for creating celestial body, one with a more "rounded" shape to make it easier to create

Thanks a lot. I'm so stupid for not thinking of changing the template! Thank you, it worked!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@ARS,

I found out it has nothing to do with the template. I thought it had but it hasn't. It has to do with the gravity. When I enter a gravity different from Moho's(the template), the bug happens again. When I leave it on Moho's gravity, it works fine. But since the bug happened anytime with Gilly as template, I think it happens when the gravity goes below a certain number. I have no idea how this works. Got any idea?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

Gravity shouldn't be the issue.  We've got a moon in GPP with only 0.006g and it works fine.  Take a look at Lili.cfg in GPP to see if your can spot anything different between it and what you're doing.

I see, I need to add a SOI apparently. Adding a sphere of influence works. And believe me, I've changed everything you can change and the problem only occurs when the gravity becomes too low of a number. 

////////////////////////

I have no idea. Nothing I'm doing works and I'm out of ideas. I'm busy with this problem since Monday now and I don't see any major difference between Lili.cfg and my config. Not any difference that should matter so much at least.

Edited by ApertureGaming
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ApertureGaming said:

I see, I need to add a SOI apparently.

We manually set Lili's SOI only because it's so close to the parent planet that the computed SOI is smaller than its own radius.  That's an unusual situation; normally there's no need to manually set sphereOfInflunence.  I recommend letting the game automatically compute SOI radius unless you have special circumstance that require overriding the computed value.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmm... that's quite weird. Maybe it has something to do with SOI of the planet. My guess is there's a minimum threshold of gravity/ SOI for a planet depending on it's size. Having large sized bodies (like tylo, which have a high gravity, and theoretically large SOI) but with smaller SOI (like gilly) seems to be the one causing the bug, maybe you can simply ignore setting SOI and focus on the gravity. Test several values of the gravity to adjust the SOI until it sets to your liking

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, ARS said:

Hmm... that's quite weird. Maybe it has something to do with SOI of the planet. My guess is there's a minimum threshold of gravity/ SOI for a planet depending on it's size. Having large sized bodies (like tylo, which have a high gravity, and theoretically large SOI) but with smaller SOI (like gilly) seems to be the one causing the bug, maybe you can simply ignore setting SOI and focus on the gravity. Test several values of the gravity to adjust the SOI until it sets to your liking

I've been trying that already and I found it only started working at around 0.25g, way too high of a value for me. I wanted it to be a small 21km radius planet with a gravity between 0.01g and 0.02g but it just doesn't want to work with a gravity that low. I really still don't know why because it has worked for me in the past and it works for a lot of other planet packs too, like GPP mentioned by @OhioBob.

 

1 hour ago, OhioBob said:

We manually set Lili's SOI only because it's so close to the parent planet that the computed SOI is smaller than its own radius.  That's an unusual situation; normally there's no need to manually set sphereOfInflunence.  I recommend letting the game automatically compute SOI radius unless you have special circumstance that require overriding the computed value.

Letting it automatically compute the SOI radius doesn't want to work this time. I know it should work all the time but I just always get the bug when I don't enter a SOI with a gravity below around 0.25g. The template I'm using right now is Moho, in case that information helps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...