KSP 2 Would Have Microtransactions

1 hour ago, regex said:

Which kind of begs the question why you asked since you already seem to have the answer.

It's easy to have an answer, it's much harder to be right. Asking questions is the best way to approach that. Not asking questions is probably the best way of always being wrong.

1 hour ago, The_Rocketeer said:

Scenario 1 - no microtransactions: On my land there's an tree full of fruit, but I only own a small step ladder so I can only pick the low-hanging fruit. If I choose to buy a new ladder, I can pick more fruit from this tree, and from all my other trees too.

Scenario 2 - with microtransactions: On my land there's a tree full of fruit, but due to the terms of sale when I bought the land I only own 1 in 5 of the fruits scattered randomly over the tree. I can still only pick the low fruit unless I buy a longer ladder, but even if I buy a long ladder I won't be allowed to pick the fruits without paying a premium for each one.

Scenario 3 - competetive play, with microtransactions: As above, except I make a living pressing the fruits for juice. Turns out the terms of sale mean I can only have 1 in 5 fruits, starting with the smallest least-juicy fruit - all the ripest fruits with the most juice are tied up and cost a premium. My rivals are in the same boat, so really we're in an arms race to buy up the fruits just to stay competetive. In the end the only person who makes anything out of this will be the middle-man, and me and my rivals will still be on the same relative footing, but with smaller margins. That or we'll just have to quit the industry altogether.

OK, good analogy and as already stated I wouldn't go near scenario 3 with a bargepole - or a ladder. Scenarios 1 and 2 though don't get away from your basic complaint which is, that without spending more money, you are denied more fruit. 

You just (not unreasonably) see more value in a one-off purchase for the ladder than constantly paying out for extra fruit. Others might not wish to invest in a new ladder - they have their favourite group of trees and their old ladder does quite nicely for those thank you very much. But occasionally it is nice to spend a little bit of money on one or two of those out-of-reach fruits and so they see the value in that. 

Plus - there's always another ladder. Maybe if I bought a bigger ladder, I could get even more fruit. But that way surely lies madness.

19 minutes ago, The_Rocketeer said:

@KSK I'm think you are probably right. If I follow my line of reasoning to its logical conclusion, I find myself convinced to give up videogaming in its entirety, hardware included. But where's the fun in that? :rolleyes:

:) You could probably say the same about all hobbies - there's always better gear to be had. Shall we agree to stop here?

In which case, thank you again for the constructive debate!

Edited by KSK

On 11/9/2017 at 2:31 PM, Johnny Wishbone said:

Sadly, this seems to be the direction that just about every major publisher is headed. Both EA and Ubisoft have made similar statements as to the future directions of their games.

In another 20 years or so, we'll watch videos on whatever passes for YouTube then about the great video game crash of the late 2010's/early 2020s just like we can currently watch stuff about what happened with video games in the early 80s. That's the direction we're headed. People are quickly going to get tired of being constantly nickel and dimed for games and its going to kill the industry. And it may be a permanent death this time.

^^^ This.   Although, I'm 100% certain that it won't be a 'permanent death' for the industry.

12 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

This does not do what I asked for. This does the same trick that doesn't work very well in RSS. It just tilts the whole system so everybody has the exact same tilt.

Which is why I said individual inclinations, I was not aware that Principia had come along so far.

21 hours ago, KSK said:

Plus - there's always another ladder. Maybe if I bought a bigger ladder, I could get even more fruit. But that way surely lies madness.

People satisfied with what they have is anathema to capitalism :P

DLC for KSP1 are going to be bought to reward Squad for supporting the game for so long, that's as far as any extra money for it is going to go with the community as it is, there's no avenue to do anything else. You'd be surprised about how many people buy DLC for long-running titles just to try and keep development ticking over ( I've got every official Assetto Corsa car just for that, I'll probably never drive some of them ).

KSP2 might be on an entirely different game engine, and who knows what style of game it will really be? no point spending the energy on either feeling assured or paranoid at this point. It might not even ever arrive.

I for one don't buy games that involve "pay to win."

The title for this thread was a bit baity, but sure . . . the "pay to win" thing seems to be a cancer that is spreading through many aspects of the gamer industry. You can't blame them for trying.

Main thing is: you can't blame us consumers for not falling for it.

23 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

I was just joking around. I'm just a little frustrated with the way that Take Two operates their games. It's like Microsoft buying Minecraft. 

Which, from what I can tell, didn't really go all that bad for anybody.

Though I'm not really in the loop anymore on Minecraft. But nobody seems to be talking about how ruined it is.

34 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Which, from what I can tell, didn't really go all that bad for anybody.

Though I'm not really in the loop anymore on Minecraft. But nobody seems to be talking about how ruined it is.

There ARE micro-transactions now though. And even though mods have not been un-supported, there is less support by Microsoft.

15 hours ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

There ARE micro-transactions now though. And even though mods have not been un-supported, there is less support by Microsoft.

Main reason Microsoft bought the IP was to promote their mobile device(s).

So they would have been utter fools to have harmed the dynamic(s) within the user communitie(s).

On 11/11/2017 at 9:24 PM, Lo Var Lachland said:

That's interesting, I've been playing a pretty heavy mod-pack in the 1.10 versions and I even loaded up 1.12 to play with my daughter and ... no evidence of microtransactions within the game to speak of. Neither her nor I have been bothered to pull out my credit card. Can you please show me where microtransactions are within the game?

E: Ah, you mean the marketplace on non-Java versions. vOv i didn't buy the non-Java version and I wouldn't because I can't mod it.

What people are missing here is that there is a very simple solution to this issue and that is to make it non-profitable. Don't buy the games, don't buy the micro-transactions, it's pretty simple. That's how such a market works, it's not governed by any moral imperative beyond that which the people spending the money possess. If enough people buy into micro-transactions to make them worthwhile then companies will continue putting them into games.

On 11/12/2017 at 5:19 AM, JK_Kerbineer said:

Well, no one is talking about it at all now.

Really? That must be why one of my favorite streamers has played literally three quite heavy mod packs in the last few months (one has been driving his Youtube channel). That must also be why I was able to find an expert-mode pack on 1.10 to which was released a month or two ago, and has sucked up most of my gaming time.

Edited by regex

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.