KSP Challenge: Destroy the KSC!

Darth Badie

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Sorry, no.  Either 1.3 or 1.3.1

Yes

Correct.  You can use a plane, it would be a single launch.  But you don’t have to.

No

Well I would argue that 1.2.2 is still acceptable... nevertheless I have installed a fresh version of 1.3.1 and my craft still works flawlessly:

Spoiler

Khi0zDj.jpg

14 hours ago, Fulgora said:

Back with an improved version, now featuring moaaar destruction :cool:

Cost: 1109

Parts: 5

Buildings destroyed: 2

Score = 100 - 5*10 - 1109/50 = 27.82

Reveal hidden contents

W24NaxG.jpg

ARP84wP.jpg

Two down... many more to go :)

And you are first on the leaderboard, in all three categories for now.  

Temporary leaderboard in the second post with the rule edits 

Thanks for updating the leaderboard @linuxgurugamer ! the values are a bit off though :P

Fewest parts (link):

3 parts, 624:funds:, 1 Building down, 7.52 points

Lowest cost (link):

3 parts, 624:funds:, 1 Building down, 7.52 points

Combined (link):

9 parts, 1958:funds:, 4 Buildings down, 70.84 points

I had the cost-tag wrong on the 9-part craft but the formula had the correct value causing a bit of confusion...

OK, this is a little weird... I'm experimenting with the runway, and I've dropped the same heavy item from the same height half a dozen times, and sometimes it blows the runway section, other times they just bounce and explode, but the runway is intact... any guesses why this might be happening?  :huh:

1 minute ago, Just Jim said:

OK, this is a little weird... I'm experimenting with the runway, and I've dropped the same heavy item from the same height half a dozen times, and sometimes it blows the runway section, other times they just bounce and explode, but the runway is intact... any guesses why this might be happening?  :huh:

Yea I noticed that too - some parts are more sensitive than others, e.g. I had no luck in exploding the watertower next to the launchpad by hitting its base or watercontainer - the only way to bring it down without excessive force is hitting the pipe that runs down from top to bottom apparently.

I must say, this challenge got off to a tough start, when my projectiles were having all the effect of jelly beans. With the part and cost penalties, it was looking pretty hard to stay in the positive. Finally I started looking at the stronger parts, and realized there was an important omission from the rules. So I have to ask @linuxgurugamer: Am I allowed to use my RocketRamRovertm?

Spoiler

ZsdWtJU.png

MJdcJDL.png

I hope so, since with 15 parts (-150) and a cost of :funds:7761 (-155.22) for a total penalty of -305.22, I (controlling Bobzer Kerman, who probably thought his name was ‘Dozer) was able to take down 22 buildings/tanks/flagpoles for 1100 points for a net score of 794.78. F9 was massively abused along the way, but all the damage was done from a single launch, from one F5 to the next. If allowed, I should have time to post some video tomorrow.... The launch pad and runway escaped my attentions, and only the VAB and radio antennas proved resistant to the R3. I have Konstruction, but only used stock parts.

Spoiler

dbqYdBo.png

Edited by StrandedonEarth

3 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I must say, this challenge got off to a tough start, when my projectiles were having all the effect of jelly beans. With the part and cost penalties, it was looking pretty hard to stay in the positive. Finally I started looking at the stronger parts, and realized there was an important omission from the rules. So I have to ask @linuxgurugamer: Am I allowed to use my RocketRamRovertm?

Hide contents

ZsdWtJU.png

MJdcJDL.png

I hope so, since with 15 parts (-150) and a cost of :funds:7761 (-155.22) for a total penalty of -305.22, I (controlling Bobzer Kerman, who probably thought his name was ‘Dozer) was able to take down 22 buildings/tanks/flagpoles for 1100 points for a net score of 794.78. F9 was massively abused along the way, but all the damage was done from a single launch, from one F5 to the next. If allowed, I should have time to post some video tomorrow.... The launch pad and runway escaped my attentions, and only the VAB and radio antennas proved resistant to the R3. I have Konstruction, but only used stock parts.

Hide contents

qKEUwqy.png

Looks like a single launch.

Smells like a single launch

Tastes like a single launch

Yup.  It's a single launch.  Good job

9 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Ahhhh, this is the same idea I've been experimenting with, but I didn't want to say anything yet... Great minds think alike I guess... :)

But, again, I'm running into the runway and launch pad problem.... obviously something like this won't work to take them out. 

This is a 2-week challenge, correct?

Edited by Just Jim

4 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Well, if you can get it airborne and drop it hard enough...

That should work for one section of the runway... but if I'm gonna blow it up, I was thinking of a suicide run at the VAB... hehehe  :D

Edited by Just Jim

3 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

How about some of the small SRBs mounted upside down?

OK... I've been keeping this quiet, but I've been experimenting with my big airship, the Annabel Lee:

Ki9sVso.png

This is where things get weird, especially the runway... I've used the airship to drop and/or blast all sorts of stuff at the runway... including some seriously huge boosters... from different heights. But the results are inconsistent, to say the least. Some times I can take out a runway section with a booster or large ore tank... but then I do the exact same test a second time, from the exact same height, and it doesn't work...  :huh:

This is what I haven't figured out yet... how to effectively blow up all 5 runway sections, plus the landing pad, without having so much attached to the airship that she can't get off the ground.

Well, I just realized I can start my rampage with the launch pad for the cost of a launch clamp. 1 part for :funds:200 is a penalty of 14 to gain another 50, so a theoretical gain of 36 points on my previous score. Not that I want to take the time to do it again....

9 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

This is what I haven't figured out yet... how to effectively blow up all 5 runway sections, plus the landing pad, without having so much attached to the airship that she can't get off the ground.

I don't know if the runway takes more abuse than the launch pad or not, but maybe you can drop a tough collection of structural parts that'll survive the destruction enough for you to pick it up again with a Klaw?

It's been a fun challenge, and I could try to improve on it, but I feel the need to get on with my current career. It seemed to have a little too much money, so now it has to recover from the near-complete destruction of the facilities by Bobzer :mad:. He will be assigned as the sole crew member of the upcoming Eve Advance Base Mission...

I'll leave you this...

I was beginning to wonder if it were possible to destroy buildings in sandbox. I went so far as to Google search it. Then I went through the settings and cheats to see if there was possibly a way I had shut off destructibility. All my attempts were failing. I tried the rover idea and laughably only bounced off the buildings. 

I finally accomplished destroying a building, only one, by flying into it. No. Just no. I will never do that again - at least not on purpose. Back to work on a different approach.

OK, now I've got the hang of this... bwaahahahaha
But can I do it all in one launch??? hmmm.... :huh:

The only thing I still can't blow up, no matter how hard I hit it, is the crawler-way between the VAB and launchpad... does anyone know if it's even possible, or if it's indestructible?

@linuxgurugamer or @Badie, I have a quick question. I've been experimenting all day, and I think I can finally take out the whole KSC. I'm not competing for anything, except maybe most extravagant... :rolleyes:  My "ship" is super part heavy and expensive, and I just want to see if I can pull this off.

But here's the thing, it's going to be about an hour long mission, so are screenshots OK? Or do you need a video of the whole ugly affair?  

WwKvJhD.png

Edited by Just Jim

20 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

@linuxgurugamer or @Badie, I have a quick question. I've been experimenting all day, and I think I can finally take out the whole KSC. I'm not competing for anything, except maybe most extravagant... :rolleyes:  My "ship" is super part heavy and expensive, and I just want to see if I can pull this off.

But here's the thing, it's going to be about an hour long mission, so are screenshots OK? Or do you need a video of the whole ugly affair?  

WwKvJhD.png

Screenshots of all the relevant times, and if you want to upload it to Youtube, that would be fine as well.

4 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Screenshots of all the relevant times, and if you want to upload it to Youtube, that would be fine as well.

OK, I'll take a shot at it tomorrow... no pun intended  :)

Can someone upload an hour long video to YouTube? Is there a limit how long it can be? I could always break it into 2 or 3 parts... 

Edited by Just Jim

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.