KSP Challenge: Destroy the KSC!

Darth Badie

1 hour ago, Red Shirt said:

Wasn't the speed. It was the last second course over correction that caused the rover to slide backwards into the tanks. Looking closely at the pic you can see the plates that were intended as battering rams. Tried blowing the runway with fleas. Yeah that went well... not. Like Bumbles, they bounce. 

Oh... yeah, been there... never mind... :)

Note to self and others - don't forget to use F5/F9! I had a good run going - 8 items destroyed including VAB and SPH

JBg7S8u.jpg

And then I hit the stupid tanks in front of the VAB. I hit them cleanly, straight on at 20m/s. It should have worked.... it should have...

Ln1GTQ4.jpg

Now I get to start again. F5 F5 F5. 

5 hours ago, Red Shirt said:

Note to self and others - don't forget to use F5/F9! I had a good run going - 8 items destroyed including VAB and SPH

And then I hit the stupid tanks in front of the VAB. I hit them cleanly, straight on at 20m/s. It should have worked.... it should have...

I ran into this a lot as well... Seriously, I wasn't kidding when I said I did well over a dozen attempts before I got them all. There were times, like near the end of my second video, when I hit something like the VAB square on, really hard, and my rover just bounced off, nice as could be... in fact I was quite surprised when the rover didn't explode. But then there were other times when I hit a tank or something no-where near as hard, but the rover burst apart into half a dozen pieces. That happened a lot.

My last attempt, the one that finally worked, I had some serious butterflies going when I took down the last few buildings, knowing I was so close, and praying nothing bad would happen.

Edited by Just Jim

I finally managed to blow up the VAB!

Targets3.png

Buildings Destroyed:  1 (the VAB)

Parts Used:  Zero...    Agent Zero in "Die Every Day"

Not as much fun as the mission story; but to make it official the A-22 craft file (details below) includes 103 parts at a cost of 35,729.

https://kerbalx.com/XLjedi/A-22-Inquisitor

Edited by XLjedi

I did take another crack at it, starting with a drop to destroy the pad and adding a fuel trailer with a KLAW. I still couldn't do anything with the runway, though I spent some time trying. I had taken out everything else except the VAB (and runway) and was ramming through the R&D complex when I ran out of time. Kudos to @Just Jim for doing his run without quickloading, as my F9 key was whimpering 5 minutes in.

5 hours ago, Red Shirt said:

Rage quit several times trying to take out the satellite dishes.

I think the ram on my rover would ride up the base of the antenna into the joint/tracking motor system, when the dish finally exploded. I also found it expedient to hit the dishes from the back (relative to where the dish is facing) or the dish would fall on the rover and crush it, like in my video. I lost many kerbals learning that lesson. 

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I think the ram on my rover would ride up the base of the antenna into the joint/tracking motor system, when the dish finally exploded.

That was my experience with the one and only dish I destroyed and on the second attempt. Every other attempt ended in an upside rover in a ball of flames. Tried from several sides, angles, and speeds. So ended with the runway, launchpad, and two dishes still intact. I remove my helmet and bow in shame.

14 minutes ago, The Dunatian said:

It was a great challenge but I won't say I'm sad to see it go. On to something slightly more doable! Or else not so doable... Anyway let's just say demolition isn't one of my strengths. :wink:

I was surprised that no one did a bunch of missiles, individually launched.  There was one video, but it was old and I couldn't score it.

I mean, really.  Who hasn't blown up one or more of the buildings?

Anyway, glad you all enjoyed it.  I"m racking my brains trying to come up with another

• 11 months later...
11 hours ago, XLjedi said:

Which one's you want?

All mine are out there on KerbalX if you follow the link in my signature.

I'm looking for the ones with very few parts or that destroyed all the buildings (somehow). I am trying to make small, light-weight stock bombs/missiles, and seeing other people's work would be great.

33 minutes ago, IMLL1 said:

I'm looking for the ones with very few parts or that destroyed all the buildings (somehow). I am trying to make small, light-weight stock bombs/missiles, and seeing other people's work would be great.

If you just look at pics of the craft...  I think there are a couple rovers in the mix that used those girder looking I-Beams to just penetrate into the building structure and trigger destruction without too much velocity.  However, this challenge was under a different Unity engine and I haven't tested if the same destruction exploit continues to work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.